Help with Ruby Dale Ltd - exam next week

So I know that task 3 is all about SWOT. Identifying weaknesses etc. However, the pre-release material already has a SWOT in it, I havent come across any practice exams that had this. Do this mean that on question 3, we defo won't have a SWOT and if so, what will the question be on?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• ReeceDay
    ReeceDay Registered Posts: 6
    Hey,

No there is still a very good chance that there will be a SWOT analysis. The previous pre -release had a SWOT analysis included but was still tested in the exams.
    The SWOT analysis that AAT provide on the company is a basic one, you should try and do further analysis on this before the exam. I have one I can send you over if you like? It is quite detailed

• chloewain_
    chloewain_ Registered Posts: 42
    @ReeceDay Thank you very much for letting me know, that would be brilliant if you could send it over, thank you so so much for your help, I really appreciate it :)
  • ChrisReeve
    ChrisReeve Registered Posts: 3
    This is interesting because my 1st attempt at this I had a SWOT question and I literally had a moment and had no idea what one was which likely cost me the pass.The pre-release this time effectively gives you the answer to the question I had previously so I imagine it will be something else.
  • ReeceDay
    ReeceDay Registered Posts: 6
    @ChrisReeve Ah yeah definitely worth revising the cost benefit analysis in depth.. I find that it is hard to find decent revision material and practice questions on the CBA though
  • Pian32
    Pian32 Registered Posts: 474 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    A point to remember is that Task 3 is not a SWOT. It is, from what I've seen, always a find 5 weaknesses and explain them. You can get a SWOT in Task 6 however.
    AAT Level 4, MAAT
    ACCA in progress
    F4- Passed Aug 2020
    F5- Passed Dec 2020
    F6- Passed Sep 2020
    F7- Passed June 2021
    F8 - Passed Sep 2021
    F9 - Passed June 2021

SBL -
    SBR - Passed Mar 22
    ATX - Passed Dec 21
    APM - Passed June 22
  • chloewain_
    @Pian32 Yes sorry, I got the question number mixed up. Number 6 is either swot analysis or cba, which I have now realised.

Thank you for your help guys @reeceaustin123 @ChrisReeve
  • Pian32
    @chloewain_ That's fine just thought I'd be better to be sure.
    Another type of question I've see a lot of in Task 6 is the find 2 weaknesses and analyse them through different parts of the question. e.g what problems, how to solve etc.

Task 6 is definetly the hardest to pin down in what could come up.
    AAT Level 4, MAAT
    ACCA in progress
    F4- Passed Aug 2020
    F5- Passed Dec 2020
    F6- Passed Sep 2020
    F7- Passed June 2021
    F8 - Passed Sep 2021
    F9 - Passed June 2021

SBL -
    SBR - Passed Mar 22
    ATX - Passed Dec 21
    APM - Passed June 22
  • chloewain_
    Interesting, @Pian32 thank you for the heads up! I am trying to do a cost-benefit analysis, do you have any tips. I have read on one of the forums that it is more about sunk costs, and what kind of costs to include and what to leave out, but there isnt really anything on youtube for it. Do you have any tips please?
  • Robdavid85
    Robdavid85 Registered Posts: 8
    Hi Chloe. Interesting. I’m sitting Level 4 PDSY next week. This AAT journey has not been smooth, first re-sitting MDCL after AAT changed the exam in 2018 and now signing up to sit PDSY (in one of the only available weeks) and shock horror, they change the Pre-Release Material. So my first thoughts were, why are they giving us a SWOT analysis… But there is hope!

They have only changed the pre-release material but not the Learning outcomes of each task!

According to AAT Professional Diploma in Accounting Qualification specification V5 2019 (found on MyAAT study resource PDSY) Task 3. tests Accounting Systems and Controls; LO2 Evaluate internal control systems and LO3 Evaluate an organisation’s accounting system and underpinning procedures.

In English this means apply your knowledge based on the scenario given and highlight strengths and weaknesses.

Question everything!

This could be a Payroll process, Purchasing process, Sales Order process. I wouldn’t be surprised if AAT took away the familiar Task 3 table (Weakness – Recommendation) we have seen in the practice papers CBT 1 and CBT 2. There could be a drop down multiple choice question, extended writing box that looks different etc.

But I believe the table will still be there – Task 3 is still examining the same outcomes, so don’t get put off if the question looks/feels different.

Task 6 tests everything!!! Accounting Systems and Controls LO1, LO2, LO3 and LO4. Financial Statements of Limited Companies LO1. Management Accounting: Budgeting LO3. Management Accounting: Decision and Control LO4 and LO5.

We are familiar with SWOT appearing in Task 6. And the random Cost Benefit Analysis that Learning Providers have little or no study material on nor practice questions. It begs the question whether AAT fully informed Learning Providers that this would be tested on...

Study everything so you have an awareness of each topic and how you would apply it to the scenario given – it appears that we are not tested on every detail of every accounting tool and need to remember every detail of that tool but more so on what tool to use, apply and why.

I’m expecting Cost Benefit Analysis, Net Present Value, SWOT Analysis, Ethical and Sustainability issues in Task 6. Even another grid/box we see in Task 3…

Good luck!

*I have not sat any live PDSY exam so I am clearly not discussing any live content. Thank you.
  • Robdavid85
    Robdavid85 Registered Posts: 8
    to help, i have attached some of the recommended attachments that students have recommended on these chats :)
  • Pian32
    @chloewain_ My impression with CBA is that when looking at a cost you need to decide does it have to be paid or what is 'lost'.

If the question talked about the rent for a room that you have even without the change then it's irrelevant but if it was a new rent just for a server then it would be a cost for the CBA.

The 'lost' part would relate to training as during training the work that could have been done in that time won't be so the workers wages (and any NI) would be lost.

This is an area I'm reading up on for the exam next week but that's what I've gathered about it.
    AAT Level 4, MAAT
    ACCA in progress
    F4- Passed Aug 2020
    F5- Passed Dec 2020
    F6- Passed Sep 2020
    F7- Passed June 2021
    F8 - Passed Sep 2021
    F9 - Passed June 2021

SBL -
    SBR - Passed Mar 22
    ATX - Passed Dec 21
    APM - Passed June 22
  • Dorota_1680
    Dorota_1680 Registered Posts: 59
    @ReeceDay Could you please send me further SWOT analyse on pre-release material as I believe you mentioned you have one. Thanks.
  • Kamity
    Kamity Registered Posts: 1
    @ReeceDay could you please send me the SWOT analyses. I have my exam tomorrow and I am freaked out :(
    Many thanks
  • Reedy45
    Reedy45 Registered Posts: 2
    ReeceDay said:

Hey,

No there is still a very good chance that there will be a SWOT analysis. The previous pre -release had a SWOT analysis included but was still tested in the exams.
    The SWOT analysis that AAT provide on the company is a basic one, you should try and do further analysis on this before the exam. I have one I can send you over if you like? It is quite detailed

Please could you send me this too? thanks
  • nicole1990
    nicole1990 Registered Posts: 11
    edited November 2019
    @ReeceDay Hi there sorry to jump on this but could you send me this too please ? Many thanks
  • rachmcfc
    rachmcfc Registered Posts: 36
    Hi @ReeceDay, I too am sorry to jump in on your earlier post but would it be possible to also send this to me? I have sat this exam 3 times now and each time I have seriously struggled with CBA. I thought I would be good at the SWOT question but as the pre release material gives a SWOT analysis I am now extremely confused how I would answer this as it seems to have been done for us.
    I have attempted a different approach to my answers for questions 2 and 6 each time but I am just getting significantly below, I just do not understand how we are supposed to complete these tables that are given.
  • Fee2019
    Fee2019 Registered Posts: 25
    Hi @ReeceDay - would you be able to send me the above too please?
  • amankahlon
    amankahlon Registered Posts: 14
    Hi . I m also new here . I m also sitting for my exam next week . I had first attempt last year which i got 53% . I really stressed about this exam . I m not as good in writing . Is there help to read all aat sample assessments for exam ?
    Thanks
  • Emmalouise18
    Emmalouise18 Registered Posts: 237 Dedicated contributor 🦉

Hi . I m also new here . I m also sitting for my exam next week . I had first attempt last year which i got 53% . I really stressed about this exam . I m not as good in writing . Is there help to read all aat sample assessments for exam ?

Thanks

I got 53% aswell on my first attempt, and then 77% on my second attempt. I wasn't good at writing either but followed the below theory:

Make your point, use a definition, explain your point, use an example and the link this back to the question.

I used to get below requirement on all written questions until I used the above method. I got 'met' on the synoptic written questions after using the above method. :) Good Luck!
  • amankahlon
    Thanks very much for your help dear . I m in doubt to do this exam next week or next date coming in march 2020.i still have to do my business tax too. I had tried crdit management but i did not pass three four time .so i thought i ll do business tax beacuse it similar to personal tax .

If i keep practicing all mock sample assessments on aat web and in books ? Will it help me ? Beacuse i keep fogettinh everything after reading .
  • Emmalouise18

Thanks very much for your help dear . I m in doubt to do this exam next week or next date coming in march 2020.i still have to do my business tax too. I had tried crdit management but i did not pass three four time .so i thought i ll do business tax beacuse it similar to personal tax .

If i keep practicing all mock sample assessments on aat web and in books ? Will it help me ? Beacuse i keep fogettinh everything after reading .

No problem. Are you paying for the exam yourself? or does your college pay for it?

I sat the synoptic first time just to see what it was like, as the layout is different and the style is different. My college paid for my exams so it didn't cost me. Yes, I didn't pass it but I needed to see what it was like first.

The best way I found to remember things was to do flash cards and test myself 3,4,5 times a day. Make them colourful and highlight key words to make them stick in your mind.

I used AAT online resources, BPP Books, Kaplan Books also. I revised 3-4 hours a night plus all day Saturday and all day Sunday for about 2.5 months for this synoptic (2nd time round) and passed it.

Let me know if you need any more advice
  • amankahlon
    No i m paying for my exams . I was joined the collage in 2017 -2018 . I finished with collage in july 2018 .then i moved from london to Wolverhampton .i thought i ll study myself homw the sit in exam near my any aat centre which i found one centre in Birmingham who take external student . So i pay myself for resit exam. I dont have much time for this exam now. My exam s on 16 th nov next week on saturday . I m not working .i m housewife and looking after kids 5 and 7 yr old . They were sick then i got sick last week .
  • amankahlon
    I had exam kit 2017-2018 old book. So i checked aat they released new exam kit for 2019-2020. I ordered that one beause its all about Rudy dale ltd company . I ll aslo read this book. I have queation if u can help me please Emmalouias.can u just expalin little about task 6 which come up SWOT ANALYSIS AND COST BENEFIT ANALYSIS? HOW i have expali it in exam?
    Thanks
  • Emmalouise18

I had exam kit 2017-2018 old book. So i checked aat they released new exam kit for 2019-2020. I ordered that one beause its all about Rudy dale ltd company . I ll aslo read this book. I have queation if u can help me please Emmalouias.can u just expalin little about task 6 which come up SWOT ANALYSIS AND COST BENEFIT ANALYSIS? HOW i have expali it in exam?

Thanks

Ok thank you for your response.

Task 6 SWOT Analysis/ Cost Benefit Analysis..

Either one of these questions can pop in the exam. I have some notes below based on my personal experience.

Cost Benefit Analysis...

This is basically a question that tells you about a system or a company, and then goes on to say about potential changes the company are thinking of implementing. These changes could be something like a new accounting system, a new sales system, a ordering system etc.

It wants you to list all the costs of the new proposed system and compare these against all the benefits of the proposed system. Costs are split into 2 different types which as tangible costs and intangible costs:

Tangible costs are things such as:

Cost of new system
    Cost of installation of the new system
    Cost of staff training on the new system
    Any annual costs of new system such as subscriptions/renewals

Intangible costs are things such as:

Cost of staff not doing work due to staff training
    Cost of staff making mistakes due to getting to grips with new system
    Cost of time spent training staff on new system

Tangible benefits:

Repeat business
    Increased revenue/profits
    Less errors/mistakes

Intangible benefits:

Improved customer service
    Improved customer satisfaction
    Improved staff satisfaction

The Kaplan Synoptic book has good examples of tangible/intangible costs and tangible and intangible benefits.

It wants you to explain the costs and compare these with the benefits. It then asks your opinion on whether you think the proposed costs outweigh the proposed benefits or whether the proposed benefits outweigh the proposed costs. Also give examples to support your answer.

SWOT Analysis...

A SWOT analysis asks you for a Strength/ Weakness/ Opportunity / Threats.

It will give you some information to read and you need to pick out a strength, weakness, opportunity and threat.

Both strengths and weaknesses should be internally while opportunities and threats should be externally.

Strengths could include:

Secure credit control system
    Good at chasing debts
    Increased Sales Revenue
    Long standing company

Weaknesses could include:

No segregation of duties for staff
    No checking of calculations before making payments
    No approved supplier list for ordering

Opportunities could include:

Expanding the company to other towns/countries
    Launching new production lines in other categories such as perfume/ jewellery (Rubydale currently do shoes and bags)
    Could potentially join partnership with other companies

Threats could include:

Other companies within the market launching the same products as Rubydale
    Another company copying the same products as Rubydale.

There is lots of examples of a SWOT analysis in the BPP question bank book also.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions :)x
  • amankahlon
    Thanks very much for your help dear . I ll really helpful for my exam .
  • Emmalouise18

Thanks very much for your help dear . I ll really helpful for my exam .

No problem :) Good luck for your exam!
  • aroonaz
    aroonaz Registered Posts: 51
    plz can somebody send me detail SWOT on Ruby Dale ltd. i have exam next week . thanks.
  • Dorota_1680
    @amankahlon @aroonaz
    Please find attached Analysis of Scenario for Ruby Dale from one of the books.
  • Dorota_1680
    @amankahlon @aroonaz Swot on Ruby Dale Ltd attached below
  • Albena33
    Albena33 Registered Posts: 5
    @ReeceDay

Please could you send me your SWOT analysis too? Thanks
Privacy Policy