Progression from Purchase ledger roles

Options
I have been looking to join an AP role.

What sort of progression is there please?

I would ideally be looking to move on to an analyst position as I am from an engineering background or management accountancy as I only have 3 professional papers left on my ACCA. :)

The salary is £22,000 and frankly at 32 I feel like a dinosaur joining an entry level position.

But I am fast, quick learner and looking to move on with my career quickly.

I have MAAT membership through ACCA’s part qualified route and I feel that helped me set my foot in the door - switching careers means I have to take on the entry position it seems?

I would be responsible for running the purchase ledger, payment runs, preparing monthly reports, maintaining asset registers (maybe if I have capacity)

Thank you for your help! :)

Comments

• amurray
    amurray Registered Posts: 304 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Hi Ncacat, I would say take any position you can to get into the accountancy field..... I took any entry level position to get on the ladder, this was in Sales Ledger/Credit Control, I then moved into an Assistant Accountant position loved all the Accounts Payable work I was doing, later I have the opportunity to apply for an Accounts Payable Manager position internally and got it!.

Any entry level role can lead ANYWHERE in this fantastic profession :) - that could be in the same company, a new role becoming available, or at another company offering further progression.
    MAAT, AATQB, MICB PM.Dip.
    Completed AAT in March 2020
  • ncacat
    ncacat Registered Posts: 44
    edited November 2019
    Options
    amurray said:

Hi Ncacat, I would say take any position you can to get into the accountancy field..... I took any entry level position to get on the ladder, this was in Sales Ledger/Credit Control, I then moved into an Assistant Accountant position loved all the Accounts Payable work I was doing, later I have the opportunity to apply for an Accounts Payable Manager position internally and got it!.

Any entry level role can lead ANYWHERE in this fantastic profession :) - that could be in the same company, a new role becoming available, or at another company offering further progression.

Thanks for the encouragement! Congratulations!

Sales ledger/Credit Control (Accounts Receivable) to Accounts Payable Manager. Incredible journey. you get to work on the whole shebang! :)

Have a nice weekend!
  • fedemenni
    fedemenni Registered Posts: 93
    Options
    Personally I started from Purchase Ledger Clerk then moved into Finance Assistant and maybe I will be the new Assistant Finance Business Partner soon.. or I will be the Accounts Assistant for another company..

Starting in a new field you need to start from a junior position then go up, anywhere in finance is good :)
  • ncacat
    ncacat Registered Posts: 44
    Options
    :)

Thanks @fedemenni
Privacy Policy