VAT charged to Dublin based company?

KCLAccounting
KCLAccounting Registered Posts: 3
Hi,
I have a client who is based in the UK. He is a pilot and provides services to a Dublin based company. He is expecting to earn over £85K within the year so would like to voluntarily register for VAT now.
My question is, would he be charging VAT to the Dublin based company? If not, he will not need to register for VAT if this is his only customer?
Really appreciate some help.
Thanks
Kim

Comments

• KoopaCooper
    KoopaCooper Registered Posts: 224
    So because of the business your client is doing, he expects his turnover to exceed the £85k VAT threshold, yes? Then yes, he will need to register for VAT at some point, and can voluntarily do so now if he wishes.

Will he charge VAT to the Dublin-based company? Yes and no...because they're in an EU country, he will charge VAT but at the 0% rate, and they'll have to record a VAT reverse charge on their own VAT return (assuming for the moment that the Dublin-based company are also VAT registered; if they aren't, they don't need to do anything at all).

The fact that his supplies will all be zero-rated isn't actually relevant here, it's still all within the scope of VAT and so counts towards the VAT threshold. He'll also still be able to reclaim all VAT he incurs on inputs (which he wouldn't if, say, his supplies were all exempt or outside scope).

I hope this helps you and your client to understand his situation a bit better. :)
    Accounts Executive, ғɪᴀʙ ᴍᴀᴀᴛ
    QBO & Xero certified advisor

AAT
    Level 2 Certificate in Accounting - 17 Jun 2015
    Level 3 Diploma in Accounting - 22 Jan 2016
    Level 4 Diploma in Accounting - 19 Dec 2017
    MAAT - 27 Mar 2018

ACCA
    Advanced Diploma in Accounting and Business...
    F4 Corporate and Business Law - 4 Jun 2019
    F5 Performance Management - 15 July 2019
    F6 Taxation (United Kingdom) - 3 Dec 2019
    F8 Audit and Assurance - 2 Mar 2020
  • KCLAccounting
    KCLAccounting Registered Posts: 3
    Thank you so much for your response, this has made it very clear :)
Privacy Policy