Trade receivables?

Options
Hi everyone, could someone help me with making entries in the cash book please?. There is a customer reciept of a cheque for £1000 and cash received of £326. I get that the cash goes in the cash column, but the answer for the cheque went straight to the bank column. I am confused about what goes in the trade recievables column. A remittance advice from another customer says £474 will be transferred to your bank account today, this entry went in the trade receivables column. Would the cheque for £1000 not go in the trade recievable column? I am new to accounting and don't understand much yet. Thanks

Comments

• Pian32
    Pian32 Registered Posts: 474 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    The trade receivables is for money paid from someone who owes money. The cash and bank column is for sales and payments made then.

In this case the reciept itself is for an instant payment. The cash in hand and the cheque to go into the bank. The remittance advice is for a previous transaction that is now being paid and is therefore not a new sale and goes against the trade debtors.

The cheque although not being processed by the bank has been paid by the customer immediatley. If the cheque was for the remittance advice however it would go in the trade receivables
    AAT Level 4, MAAT
    ACCA in progress
    F4- Passed Aug 2020
    F5- Passed Dec 2020
    F6- Passed Sep 2020
    F7- Passed June 2021
    F8 - Passed Sep 2021
    F9 - Passed June 2021

SBL -
    SBR - Passed Mar 22
    ATX - Passed Dec 21
    APM - Passed June 22
  • moltisanti98
    moltisanti98 Registered Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank you I think I understand now great information. So because the cheque was on a receipt and not a remittance advice it is not a trade receivable?
Privacy Policy