AAT LEVEL 4 - INSPIRATION

Good afternoon all,

I'm sitting here on the day of my final (hopefully) Level 4 AAT exam, reading about people's journeys, so thought I would share mine for anybody who is struggling and thinking of giving up...

I began my level 4 AAT journey in 2016.. (yep nearly over 3 years ago) The new AQ2016 syllabus had just been released, and our class were guinea pigs for the new format.. We experienced ALL of the teething problems, the course at the time was 1 year long. I believe L4 has now been extended to 1.5 Years in some colleges.
I work full time all day in management accounts, and I studied in the evenings at college.. but the tuition soon ran out at college, so I had to home study using books and the internet to complete the rest of the exams

Here's the dates and order of my exam sittings/results:

19/01/17 MABU 71% take it and run!
23/03/17 FSCL 44%
04/05/17 MDCL 47% ( see note below*)
30/06/17 PDSY 67% -don't ask how.. fluke
13/07/17 CTRM 57%
20/07/19 FSLC 56%
10/08/17 MDCL 59%
31/08/17 Auditing 76% 1st time- Yes!
28/09/17 FSLC 64%
05/10/17 CTRM 57%
07/12/17 FSLC 82% - Cried with happiness..
21/12/17 CTRM 61%
04/01/18 MDCL 65%
18/01/18 PDSY 55%
* TOOK A YEAR OUT *
27/06/19 CREDIT 80% - 1st time and taught myself from the book ( couldn't believe it)
01/08/19 MDCL 77% - FINALLY so chuffed and starting to believe in myself again
21/11/19 PDSY ?? Nervous, but ready as i'll ever be!

You can see I've been quite determined to pass and I guess what i'm trying to say is don't give up now!! If i can do it then so can you

*Decision & Control MDCL- 4 attempts! 47%, 59%, 65%, 77%
I just couldn't get this subject, I sat it 3 times and took a year out, during my year out the exam was simplified- they took out two questions whilst the time limit remained the same... I began revising again alone and passed it! I think I had a negative mindset of ' i can't do it' or ' i hate it' or 'why am i doing this'. But I took a break, came back to it, took my time and passed!!

Exam Tips:
Do the practice assessments over and over, use the AAT learning online, buy yourself additional textbooks, if you don't practice you won't pass. I bought some index cards and use them to make quick notes to look over when the textbook seems too heavy and wordy. I use highlighters and coloured pens to try and train my brain to remember formulas and colours, i come up with Rhymes for ratios.. find something that works but just DONT give up!
B xxxx

Comments

• Vader
    Vader Registered Posts: 15
    Good post and one I really needed to see. I started level 4 in Sep 2017 and passed Personal Tax and MA:Budgeting.

I was studying D&C and FSLC, but could not get my head around either and gave up around Aug 18. I'm now thinking of getting back to studying, but quite scared!
  • fedemenni
    fedemenni Registered Posts: 93
    Same (if not even worse than you) situation.

I have passed all my level 2 and 3 first attempts and spent 6 and 9 months to finish them. Professional level is taking me more than 3 years (started September 2016 and I’m going to sit for the second time FSLC).

Like you I passed MABU at the first attempt, all the other exams I had to sit them at least 2 times if not 3. AAT has made it very hard. I am using Kaplan and find sometimes that what they teach don’t match with the exam itself hence lots of failures.

One thing is right. Let’s not give up !!
  • thelowendtheory18
    thelowendtheory18 Registered Posts: 298 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    very inspiring post, thanks for sharing!!!!

I've completed level's 2 & 3 with distinction's , passing all exams first time .... it took me circa 9 months to complete both levels,

but i'm almost mentally preparing to fail exams in level 4, i'm coming to the end of the knowledge phase of my studies for the FSLC exam... it;s crazy home much content there is to remember....... much more compared to levels 2 & 3!

But if i suffer any setbacks i will take it on the chin, learn from it & go again!!!!

AAT

Level 2 Foundation Certificate in Accounting - 30 Nov 18
    Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Accounting - 16 Oct 19
    Level 4 Professional Diploma in Accounting - 22 Jul 21
  • caravernon
    caravernon Registered Posts: 6 New contributor 🐸
    This is so interesting to read because my situation is exactly the same to yours @Becxo where I started the new syllabus also in 2016 and I still have one exam outstanding! I work full time too, went to college 2 evenings a week and once the teaching had been provided through I had to home study/revise for resits. Below are my many attempts, award dates and percentages...

MABU 08/12/2016 - 73%
    MDCL 23/02/2017 - 53% (cry as this was my first AAT exam fail)
    FSLC 04/05/2017 - 61%
    PDSY 30/06/2017 - 47%
    FSLC 13/07/2017 - 76%
    PLTX 17/08/2017 - 57%
    PLTX 12/10/2017 - 80%
    BSTX 30/11/2017 - 64%
    PDSY 28/03/2018 - 63%
    BSTX 03/05/2018 - 75%
    MDCL 09/08/2019 - 59%
    PDSY 15/11/2018 - 62%

Had started a new job so exams weren't a priority for a while...

MDCL 06/06/2019 - 45% (cry again as I was so prepared and felt confident)
    PDSY 22/08/2019 - 71% (scraped but a pass is a pass and I cried in the middle of a restaurant in Amsterdam with my friends lol)

I have just got things in motion to tackle MDCL and hopefully complete L4 over 3 years later! My attempts have never been from lack of trying or revision, I genuinely believe that it is down to luck on the day and what questions you're given. It's so disappointing when you work so hard for an exam, couldn't feel more prepared, and you're presented with horrid questions that make no sense. The only exam I passed first time was budgeting, everything else has been twice over, PDSY was passed on 4th attempt and I am hoping that MDCL will be the same. I hated having to resit exams because I got through levels 2 and 3 on first attempts and could forget and move on.

L4 is tough and it's so promising seeing everyone else's determination and the rewards are so worth it!

Sending good luck, good thoughts and good vibes to all who have outstanding exams, resits or feelings it can't be done - it can and it will!
  • thelowendtheory18
    judging by your posts it looks like starting with The Budgeting unit is the way forward...... I've started with the Financial Statement units...... not sure if it makes any difference????
    AAT

• Becxo
    Becxo Registered Posts: 30

This is so interesting to read because my situation is exactly the same to yours @Becxo where I started the new syllabus also in 2016 and I still have one exam outstanding! I work full time too, went to college 2 evenings a week and once the teaching had been provided through I had to home study/revise for resits. Below are my many attempts, award dates and percentages...

MABU 08/12/2016 - 73%
    MDCL 23/02/2017 - 53% (cry as this was my first AAT exam fail)
    FSLC 04/05/2017 - 61%
    PDSY 30/06/2017 - 47%
    FSLC 13/07/2017 - 76%
    PLTX 17/08/2017 - 57%
    PLTX 12/10/2017 - 80%
    BSTX 30/11/2017 - 64%
    PDSY 28/03/2018 - 63%
    BSTX 03/05/2018 - 75%
    MDCL 09/08/2019 - 59%
    PDSY 15/11/2018 - 62%

Had started a new job so exams weren't a priority for a while...

MDCL 06/06/2019 - 45% (cry again as I was so prepared and felt confident)
    PDSY 22/08/2019 - 71% (scraped but a pass is a pass and I cried in the middle of a restaurant in Amsterdam with my friends lol)

I have just got things in motion to tackle MDCL and hopefully complete L4 over 3 years later! My attempts have never been from lack of trying or revision, I genuinely believe that it is down to luck on the day and what questions you're given. It's so disappointing when you work so hard for an exam, couldn't feel more prepared, and you're presented with horrid questions that make no sense. The only exam I passed first time was budgeting, everything else has been twice over, PDSY was passed on 4th attempt and I am hoping that MDCL will be the same. I hated having to resit exams because I got through levels 2 and 3 on first attempts and could forget and move on.

L4 is tough and it's so promising seeing everyone else's determination and the rewards are so worth it!

Sending good luck, good thoughts and good vibes to all who have outstanding exams, resits or feelings it can't be done - it can and it will!

@caravernon
    Oh my Goodness!!!! How similar are our stories!!!!!!!!!
    It just goes to show you should always speak out because you are never alone in ANY situation!

This has been an emotional journey of feeling inadequate and thinking i'm just not intelligent enough to do it..

But here we both are, just ONE exam to go- we will never give up now, we've come too far.

Hope to see you at the Grad ceremony next year ..where we will cry with happiness!!!!!!!!!
  • Becxo
    Good luck to everyone getting Synoptic L4 Results this Thursday!
  • KoopaCooper
    KoopaCooper Registered Posts: 224
    And good luck to any of my fellow MAAT's who are getting ACCA results next Monday! :)
    Accounts Executive, ғɪᴀʙ ᴍᴀᴀᴛ
    QBO & Xero certified advisor

AAT
    Level 2 Certificate in Accounting - 17 Jun 2015
    Level 3 Diploma in Accounting - 22 Jan 2016
    Level 4 Diploma in Accounting - 19 Dec 2017
    MAAT - 27 Mar 2018

ACCA
    Advanced Diploma in Accounting and Business...
    F4 Corporate and Business Law - 4 Jun 2019
    F5 Performance Management - 15 July 2019
    F6 Taxation (United Kingdom) - 3 Dec 2019
    F8 Audit and Assurance - 2 Mar 2020
  • Becxo
    Level 4 and MAAT All done and dusted =)
  • thelowendtheory18
    Well done!!!!!!
    AAT

• amurray
    amurray Registered Posts: 304 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Becxo said:

Level 4 and MAAT All done and dusted =)

Many congrats Becxo! I am currently finishing off my AAT, however was struggling with passing MDCL, my next resit is this coming up week, I so hope to pass this time, I want my MAAT letters now! :)
    MAAT, AATQB, MICB PM.Dip.
    Completed AAT in March 2020
  • Becxo
    Good luck with decision and control, practice practice practice!!!!!!! x
  • amurray
    amurray Registered Posts: 304 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Becxo said:

Good luck with decision and control, practice practice practice!!!!!!! x

Many thanks Becxo! :)
    MAAT, AATQB, MICB PM.Dip.
    Completed AAT in March 2020
  • mergen
    mergen Registered Posts: 112 New contributor 🐸
    Yes @Becxo Level 4 has been a bit of a "nightmare" :).

MABU 62% 1st attempt
    MDCL 68& 1st attempt.
    Cash & Treasury 47% 1st attempt. Hated the exam but enjoyed the course. Decided not to bother with it at all.
    MABU 70% 2nd attempt
    Business Tax 51% 1st attempt. Hated it, so didn't go back to it.
    MDCL 62% 2nd attempt
    Long break. Didn't even want to look at any study materials. Angry and cried (just a little bit :) )
    MDCL 70% 3rd attempt
    Then I thought let me try Credit Management. But by that time, I have lost all motivation and drive. Life and work, were not easy. As a result passed Credit Management on the 3rd attempt and got 80%. First two attempts got 66% both times. But I never gave up.
    FSCL 76% 1st attempt. I was shocked and couldn't believe it. In a much better place in life and work.

Sitting Synoptic in May and then one more optional, then AAT L4 done.
  • fedemenni
    fedemenni Registered Posts: 93
    Compared to November 2019 I have now just one exam left - PDSY.. very struggling to get studying..
  • signature123
    signature123 Registered Posts: 1
    Thanks for 'inspiration'. Appearing for my MDCL exam tomorrow. It will be my first attempt. Thanks.
Privacy Policy