Is there any point?

Options
I want to start AAT but every job for AAT qualified people requires at least a year of experience and by all accounts it's nigh on impossible to get your foot in the door. How do you people keep motivated knowing how unlikely it is to be any use?

Comments

• amurray
    amurray Registered Posts: 304 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    AAT is a fantastic qualification to studying for, it can open many doors. Yes alot of jobs want a minimum of a years work experience. However there are many other opportunities to explore:

I know alot of Accountancy practices take in apprentices/trainees with little or no experience. Also you could consider volunteering, I know a few fellow AAT students who have gone down this route, and in said time landed themselves either part time or full time roles.

Take your time to consider your options, however I would highly recommend studying AAT, its a fantastic career builder! (not just being employed by a business, but it can be very rewarding on the self-employment level also!).
    MAAT, AATQB, MICB PM.Dip.
    Completed AAT in March 2020
  • mr10
    mr10 Registered Posts: 26
    Options
    > @amurray said:
    > AAT is a fantastic qualification to studying for, it can open many doors. Yes alot of jobs want a minimum of a years work experience. However there are many other opportunities to explore:
    >
    > I know alot of Accountancy practices take in apprentices/trainees with little or no experience. Also you could consider volunteering, I know a few fellow AAT students who have gone down this route, and in said time landed themselves either part time or full time roles.
    >
    > Take your time to consider your options, however I would highly recommend studying AAT, its a fantastic career builder! (not just being employed by a business, but it can be very rewarding on the self-employment level also!).

The thing is even voluntary work is so hard to get, I've emailed plenty of firms near me asking if they consider volunteers and literally no response. If that's how hard it is to get voluntary work imagine the difficulty in finding actual paid work when you have no experience.
  • amurray
    amurray Registered Posts: 304 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Wow, I'm sorry to hear that no firms have not even responded to you...... even if they had nothing available at this present time, a courtesy email/letter wouldn't go amiss.

Have you registered with local recruitment agencies the likes of REED, HAYS, amongst others & online jobs board Indeed? - the local recruitment agencies maybe able to offer you some advice or may be able to help you?
    MAAT, AATQB, MICB PM.Dip.
    Completed AAT in March 2020
Privacy Policy