Help with Bank reconstruction in sample assessment! Exam is on Monday!

Options
Hi all.
Please please can someone shed some light on this for me (and our study group!)?

We are sitting our Final Accounts exam on Monday and are just doing sample assessment 2 on the AAT website. We are totally confused by the bank reconstruction in task 1 b) so any help would be much appreciated (Sorry its a Friday night!) as we are panicking a bit!

Bank Ledger reconstruction - finding the Cash Purchases

The question states that the Balances as at : 31st mar x6 : £3283 credit 31st Mar x7 : £1568 debit

I assume this is a ledger bank balance, so then opening balance would be a credit and closing balance debit. However when you look at the model answers (second screen shot) AAT have put both balances on credit side? Why is this?

It still doesn't make sense to me why they have done this as both Credit b/d and c/d - as if we consider balances as at end of previous closing year (opening balance of X7) then this would be a debit?

As you can see there is alot of confusion regarding the Debits and Credits. So if someone can explain why both the b/d and c/d is Credit and why this contradicts the info given in the question that would be absolutely amazing!

Thanks so much in advance
Sarah

Comments

• Pian32
    Pian32 Registered Posts: 474 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    edited March 2020
    Options
    The b/d balance from one period will be on the opposite side to the c/d balance from the previous period.

This is due to the c/d figure acting as a balancing amount it will always be on the opposite side to the balance of the accounts (If account is in credit the c/d figure appears as a debit and visa versa). This is done as part of the process of transferring balances to the Balance sheet at the end of the year.

Your b/d balance for the period starting on 1st April 20X7 would have the figure as a Debit.

Sorry I wasn't in time for your exam I have been away. I hope this helps for the future.
    AAT Level 4, MAAT
    ACCA in progress
    F4- Passed Aug 2020
    F5- Passed Dec 2020
    F6- Passed Sep 2020
    F7- Passed June 2021
    F8 - Passed Sep 2021
    F9 - Passed June 2021

SBL -
    SBR - Passed Mar 22
    ATX - Passed Dec 21
    APM - Passed June 22