Having an AAT qualification

geek84
geek84 Registered Posts: 568 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Hi Folks

I have over 10 years' experience of credit control, and while working, I managed to complete my AAT qualification.

I would now like to come away from credit control and go into other job roles such as accounts assistant or assistant accountant. However, I do not have the relevant work experience.

Could someone kindly let me know the best way to develop my career?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• David Ballantyne
    David Ballantyne Registered Posts: 105 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Don't think about the experience that you don't have, focus on the experience that you do have and start applying for jobs.

I think the most likely option is to apply for jobs with smaller employers who are looking for someone to do all their financial administration. I'm thinking of a situation in which you are the only finance person in the business, i.e. you are the finance department.

The fact that you are an MAAT is a major plus. I assume that you must be capable of general bookkeeping.

The kind of job description you should probably look for would be:

Job title: Bookkeeper/Accounts Assistant/Finance Officer.
    Duties: Bookkeeping, credit control, payroll. This may also include budgeting, forecasting/cash flow planning, management accounts.
    David Ballantyne
    Connect with me on LinkedIn!
    Ballantyne Accountants
  • geek84
    Thanks David
  • Lindi
    Lindi Registered Posts: 166
    @geek84 I know exactly what you mean. I gained my MAAT in January 2018 and although I have a varied role, I am still the main point of contact for accounts at my workplace.

I can honestly agree with David, small businesses are ideal as you will likely run sales and purchase ledgers. I do all the bookkeeping across both ledgers, and it has made me more confident.
    However, be wary also of small businesses, as they likely outsource a lot of their work to accounting firms. I am struggling to move ahead with this very same issue, and, whilst it is not the employer's doing, rather circumstancial with everything else I do, it can be quite frustrating. I am worried that I have forgotten a lot of the stuff I have learnt already, being more than 2 years on now.

I have asked others on the forums if they have any advice on how to gain more experience, even doing voluntary work, but my options are few as I work full time during the week. No-one seems to want help (even if it's free) at the weekends - which I find strange as every self employed bookkeeper I have ever spoken to always complain that they were up until 2am at the weekends working.
    Really can't understand it - search me!

I have also approached my local AAT branch, but no-one has gotten back to my attempts of contact, though I do believe if you have a proactive branch team I would encourage a healthy dose of networking to meet new people.

Good luck with your venture, the most important advice I can give you is to believe in yourself.
  • geek84
    Hi Folks

Many thanks indeed for your replies David and Lindi.

Lindi I can relate exactly to the experience you are going though now.

I am thinking of setting up as a self employed bookkeeper. I'm sure that has crossed your mind?
  • amurray
    amurray Registered Posts: 304 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Hi geek84,

Is your current employer able to offer any further opportunities internally for you to progress and upskill with experience.

On another note, are you registered with your local recruitment agencies, the likes of REED, HAYS etc, and online with Indeed? - although alot of positions like experience, I have known quite a few colleagues to get a foot in the door with an interview and turns out its not always experience that employers prefer (sometimes its personality and team fit too!). I know alot of companies prefer the experience, however there are employers out there who are willing to give people chances. Also it maybe worth checking with local accountancy firms if they are taking on anyone in trainee roles?

I second the comment above, by being an MAAT this will certainly hold you in good stead for job applications.

Best of luck with your job search.
    MAAT, AATQB, MICB PM.Dip.
    Completed AAT in March 2020
  • David Ballantyne
    David Ballantyne Registered Posts: 105 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Hi A Murray,

You are in the IAB and the ICB as well as AAT. I just wonder why?
    David Ballantyne
    Connect with me on LinkedIn!
    Ballantyne Accountants
  • amurray
    amurray Registered Posts: 304 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    edited May 2020
    > @David Ballantyne said:
    > Hi A Murray,
    >
    > You are in the IAB and the ICB as well as AAT. I just wonder why?

I studied for an ICB qualification hence receiving their letters after completing and a colleague recommended for me to join the IAB for CPD & professional resources. Again I studied for AAT hence carrying those letters!
    Hope this answers your query.
    MAAT, AATQB, MICB PM.Dip.
    Completed AAT in March 2020
Privacy Policy