Should I continue?

I’m 40 and just started the AAT foundation distance learning before the lockdown. My college supplier has discontinued so I am now starting all over again.
I’m wondering whether this is all worth it? Should I bother carrying on?

I am mum to two kids and will be looking for a part time term time job (one child is disabled)

Am I likely to actually be able to find a job after making the effort to study?
I am worried that although I have over 20 years of admin experience (covering some aspects of finance) I haven’t worked in a finance department, so I can’t start up on my own.

Just wondering if anyone else has any experience of winning despite a tough start? I don’t really want to set myself up for a fall

Comments

• hal978
    hal978 Registered Posts: 197 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I started as an accounts assistant at the age of 37, became an affiliate (passed all my exams) at the age of 39, became a full member (MAAT) and licensed accountant at the age of 40. So age is no barrier.
  • thelowendtheory18
    thelowendtheory18 Registered Posts: 298 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    go for it!!!!!!

it's never too late....just think of the proverb "it's better late than never"
    AAT

Level 2 Foundation Certificate in Accounting - 30 Nov 18
    Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Accounting - 16 Oct 19
    Level 4 Professional Diploma in Accounting - 22 Jul 21
  • fedemenni
    fedemenni Registered Posts: 93

I’m 40 and just started the AAT foundation distance learning before the lockdown. My college supplier has discontinued so I am now starting all over again.

I’m wondering whether this is all worth it? Should I bother carrying on?

I am mum to two kids and will be looking for a part time term time job (one child is disabled)

Am I likely to actually be able to find a job after making the effort to study?

I am worried that although I have over 20 years of admin experience (covering some aspects of finance) I haven’t worked in a finance department, so I can’t start up on my own.

Just wondering if anyone else has any experience of winning despite a tough start? I don’t really want to set myself up for a fall

go for it! If you feel like you can do it and it will make you feel better do it :) there is no age on qualifications and studies
  • Viktoria
    Viktoria Registered Posts: 20 New contributor 🐸
    I think choosing the bookkeeping/accounting path can give you so many options. You can get a part-time job (even home-based) or start your own business, so you can look after your kids while you working.

You already have experience with finance tasks which is a plus.
    My admin experience helped me to get a finance role. You are in a good position with your professional background. Don't worry about age.

If you can, try to find a volunteer job in finance while you study then move to a paid job as soon as you can.

Good luck! :)
  • Paul67
    Paul67 Registered Posts: 7
    If you have the books, Osborne or Kaplan, for the foundation course and you are able to study in present circumstances, then yes continue. I realise that motivation may be difficult. I think that we are all experiencing that now, not knowing when the assessments will be rescheduled for.
  • amurray
    amurray Registered Posts: 304 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi,

I agree with the other comments, go for it, you can do it... age is not a barrier.

Everyone has their own individual circumstances, and some may take longer than others to complete their journey, but that does not matter (it took me quite some time to finish AAT). If you want to study Bookkeeping/Accounting then you should - there are so many flexible options nowadays (some companies allow employees to work remotely from home, also becoming self-employed is an option).

I note your comment about your college discounting their course, do you plan to self study or distance learn?

Wishing you all the best with your journey, this forum is a fantastic support function so you wont be alone in your studies. :):)
    MAAT, AATQB, MICB PM.Dip.
    Completed AAT in March 2020
  • Thelionheart
    Thelionheart Registered Posts: 3 New contributor 🐸
    Don’t think negative about when you will be able to finish it or not. Just take a task at hand and focus on it; and task is to complete one or two papers at a time. Stop thinking about whether AAT will help you to earn money or not. If you like accounting and tax then study AAT to gain knowledge. I don’t want to boast but just to give a humble example, I started ACCA after a gap of 7 years then ALHAMDOLILLAH completed it. I did not study AAT BUT GOT the membership of AAT on the basis of my ACCA qualification. Just stay positive and carry on studying.
  • rosieobrien
    rosieobrien Registered Posts: 31 Regular contributor ⭐
    I definitely think you should carry on!! age is no barrier, and we all have to start at some point, right? personally, i dont think it matters how long it takes if its something you are interested in/love!!

I just thought I would share this on the forums in case anyone finds it useful
    EMA Training ( based in Derby City Centre, DE1 2PW ) are opening 6 days a week during July 2020 to support with the AAT assessment sittings, please read :

https://www.ematraining.co.uk/exam-online-booking

for more info please pm me or email/phone us via our website?
Privacy Policy