Has anyone here recently self studied AAT without a provider?

Johnko
Johnko Registered Posts: 2
Hello, I wanted to do AAT levels 2-4 distance learning courses as I currently work full time, but now I’m considering buying the books and self studying the courses. I have read forums on here with people saying it is possible to do, but they were all around 2013 so wanted to get a more up to date opinion. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• amurray
    amurray Registered Posts: 304 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi Johnko,

I think its more than possible to self study AAT, aslong as you have the free time and dedication to put towards it.
    Some topics are harder than others across the various AAT levels, however that being said with the right amount of practice/revision there is no reason why this is not doable.

Everyone has different learning methods and paces, with some people picking things up quicker than others. I believe its all about the time you can commit to it, the rest will just fit in and adapt accordingly.

Good Luck with your AAT journey :)
    MAAT, AATQB, MICB PM.Dip.
    Completed AAT in March 2020
  • milescpareview
    milescpareview Registered Posts: 19
    I believe it is totally possible to self-study AAT. Have the right kind of revision methods and invest sufficient study hours. I'm sure, you'll get through with it.
  • Johnko
    Johnko Registered Posts: 2
    Thank you so much for your help thats made me feel much better about it!
  • V_Webb
    V_Webb Registered Posts: 4
    I'm registered with a provider but have found that I haven't really needed them. I've brought the Osborne and Kaplan books and used those with the AAT on-line resources.
  • cozmaioanacristina
    cozmaioanacristina Registered Posts: 3
    Hi, I am new here, and I want to start to study to become a member of AAT/ACCA or another body of accountant, but I don't know from where should start, and some advice will grow more light to me. Thank you, guys.
  • amurray

Hi, I am new here, and I want to start to study to become a member of AAT/ACCA or another body of accountant, but I don't know from where should start, and some advice will grow more light to me. Thank you, guys.

Hi there,
    Firstly I would determine which study method would work best for you, self study, distance learning (with a tuition provider), or attending physical college (when permitted) in this current climate.
    Once you are aware of what study method suits you best you can take it from there.

I would highly recommend starting with AAT and commencing further studies to ACCA thereafter.
  • cozmaioanacristina
    cozmaioanacristina Registered Posts: 3
    Hi. If I have a master degree (level 7 ) finished in Romania, it should start from level one or further? Thank you.
  • amurray
    edited May 2020

Hi. If I have a master degree (level 7 ) finished in Romania, it should start from level one or further? Thank you.

Hi there,

I am not too sure regarding this, it would probably be best to speak to the AAT directly and see which level they would recommend starting at.

Alternatively in the meantime you could take a look at the AAT skill checker (link below) which determines which level is most ideal to start at, this looks at your current level of skill and compares it against the syllabus, with the end result a suggested level to start at.

https://www.aat.org.uk/aat-qualifications-and-courses/need-help-choosing-a-qualification/aat-skillcheck

• hlarner
    hlarner Registered Posts: 2
    Hello Johnko

It’s definitely possible to self study all levels. I completed level 2 at college then self studied levels 3 and 4. I sit my final exam next month and have passed all exams first time so far. You’ll need to be organised and realistic about how much time you can spare each week. I work through a unit then book an exam for about 3 weeks after and then use the interim to do the practice assessments and revision materials on the AAT site. This showed me what I needed to go over again before the exam. I’ve used Osborne tutorial books and BPP question banks.

Good luck!

• Lewisham_lass
    Lewisham_lass Registered Posts: 52 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hey, I am a student at First Intuition and they have been so helpful. I took my first year in classroom setting, and switched to distance studies on the basis of their textbooks as they really explain the information with lots of example questions and mock exams etc. I am currently taking my final year via online classes with them (slightly more expensive but you get access to a tutor too),, and feel that the online pre-recorded lectures are necessary for the last year as there is a slight step-up. However I would have definitely felt comfortable distance learning all the way through levels 2-3 with FI.
  • BBarrett
    BBarrett Registered Posts: 9 New contributor 🐸
    hi hlarner how to i access BPP question bank please , I need to do different practice questions
Privacy Policy