MDCL - EXAM TIPS

Options
Hi All, I failed this exam in march with 60%. I am resitting in a few weeks, any advice?

The AAT assessments was simpler compared to the actual exam, did any one else find that this was the case? Any advice on the questions?

Comments

• thelowendtheory18
    thelowendtheory18 Registered Posts: 298 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi,

I 'm currently awaiting my result for MDLC

I would agree with you that the AAT mock exams were simpler than the actual exam, significantly so IMO

I can't give you any advice as i don't know if i've passed myself yet, but good luck!!!
    AAT

Level 2 Foundation Certificate in Accounting - 30 Nov 18
    Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Accounting - 16 Oct 19
    Level 4 Professional Diploma in Accounting - 22 Jul 21
  • Emmalouise18
    Emmalouise18 Registered Posts: 237 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    amrit said:

Hi All, I failed this exam in march with 60%. I am resitting in a few weeks, any advice?

The AAT assessments was simpler compared to the actual exam, did any one else find that this was the case? Any advice on the questions?

Hi,

I 'm currently awaiting my result for MDLC

I would agree with you that the AAT mock exams were simpler than the actual exam, significantly so IMO

I can't give you any advice as i don't know if i've passed myself yet, but good luck!!!

Hello,

It took me 4 times to pass this exam. After my 3rd attempt I bought a BPP Question bank book for this exam and it was a god send. They have SO many different variations of questions in, more like the exam that helped me. I was getting sick of the 2 mocks on MyAAT and knew the answers as I did them so many times.

I wrote out all ratios on flash cards and learnt these off by heart.

I used the below link for the variance analysis and wrote all variances out on flash cards and practiced these every day. I wrote exactly what each variance means and why it is used.

https://kfknowledgebank.kaplan.co.uk/management-accounting/performance-management/variance-analysis

I also practiced getting into the swing of written questions as these are how to pick up marks.

You need to concentrate on what the question asks you, don't go off topic as you will loose marks. Simply read one question at a time and then answer it. Don't read the full page A, B and C questions as it will panic you and you will worry about question C before you have answers question A. Read them one at a time and only concentrate on the question you are answering.

Link each variance together as examiners like this and shows you understand them. Also link ratios together too, as this also shows you have gained a full understanding of the question.

I was asked to explain Ideal standards and basic standards in every one of my MDCL exams - make sure you can confidently explain this.

Thank you :). Good luck!
  • amrit
    amrit Registered Posts: 5
    Options
    Aw good luck @thelowendtheory18 ! Please let me know how you got on. Do you remember what questions/topics came up in the exam?
  • amrit
    amrit Registered Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you @Emmalouise18, I will look into getting the BPP book. Overall which provider did you prefer when doing your AAT? I’ve had Kaplan, always thought it was very good.
  • Emmalouise18
    Emmalouise18 Registered Posts: 237 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    amrit said:

Thank you @Emmalouise18, I will look into getting the BPP book. Overall which provider did you prefer when doing your AAT? I’ve had Kaplan, always thought it was very good.

I have messaged you about the BPP book :) BPP was the best for me, but Kaplan also very good!
Privacy Policy