Advanced Diploma difficulty level

Morning all. I've just completed the Foundation Certificate (pending calculated result for synoptic). I've done well with this and managed to do it "comfortably" (given that for years I have never understood the debit/credit thing!) I am now thinking of enrolling for the Advanced Diploma but feel a little anxious as to how hard this is going to be. Can anyone tell me if it is considerably more difficult? Does it require a lot more study time? I'm just a little worried that it's going to be a struggle. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Pian32
    Pian32 Registered Posts: 474 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Difficulty is very relative to what you are good at naturally. A good estimate is it is a similar step as GCSE to A Level.

The content leads on from what you've already covered and goes into more depth so the things you do are harder but shouldn't feel like a huge leap in what you have to do as it just builds off what you've already learned. The style of the exams is basically the same as level 2 as well.
    AAT Level 4, MAAT
    ACCA in progress
    F4- Passed Aug 2020
    F5- Passed Dec 2020
    F6- Passed Sep 2020
    F7- Passed June 2021
    F8 - Passed Sep 2021
    F9 - Passed June 2021

SBL -
    SBR - Passed Mar 22
    ATX - Passed Dec 21
    APM - Passed June 22
  • Sara01
    Sara01 Registered Posts: 7
    That helps, thank you. School was 25 years ago so it's hard to remember! I get what you're saying though. Sounds like it should be achievable. I should probably go for it, get the qualification under my belt because who knows what the future holds in the current climate. Thanks again.
  • amurray
    amurray Registered Posts: 304 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi Sara,

I agree with the post above from @Pian32 - I would compare it to a step up from say GCSE Level to A Level.
    You will find alot of the topics covered at the Foundation certificate naturally progress onto the Advanced Diploma course (Bookkeeping/Costing etc).

Ofcourse it is only natural to be anxious about wanting to progress and doubting yourself if you are capable. I took ages to decide if I should continue from Advanced Diploma (what was Level 3) to the Professional Diploma (what was Level 4). It was a struggle for me as I tend to learn slower, however we all have different learning styles/requirements and I am so glad that I enrolled and continued. It took me quite a bit longer than I had originally hoped, however I can say that I passed and understood the syllabus which is what matters.

Did you study at a college, a distance learning provider or self-study?

I would honestly say, if you have the time to study and the dedication to put towards it (maybe a few extra hours will be needed, this dependant on your learning style and how quickly you pick things up), go for it as you CAN DO IT! :).... I always tell people if I can do it, then everyone has a very good chance! (Maths and all things numbers was my worst subject back in school!).

Really wish you well, let us know what you decide to do! :) Best of luck!

MAAT, AATQB, MICB PM.Dip.
    Completed AAT in March 2020
  • Sara01
    Thank you so much for your words of encouragement and for your advice/thoughts. I'm going to go for it! If I don't do it now (straight after foundation certificate) then I think it will be harder with a long gap between courses should I do it at a later date. It'll be fine...(so I keep telling myself) ?
  • Sara01
    Oh and I was home learning with Kaplan books and sitting exams at college.
  • amurray
    amurray Registered Posts: 304 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Sara01 said:

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement and for your advice/thoughts. I'm going to go for it! If I don't do it now (straight after foundation certificate) then I think it will be harder with a long gap between courses should I do it at a later date. It'll be fine...(so I keep telling myself) ?

You're very right there the longer you leave it the longer you'll keep putting it off. I did that with my Level 4 studies. I kept thinking I'll enroll soon and months went by.....then I thought if I don't do it now I never will.

Great positive thoughts, you go for it and it will be fine! :)

Best of luck! :):+1:
    MAAT, AATQB, MICB PM.Dip.
    Completed AAT in March 2020
Privacy Policy