Clients' Tax Returns

joannamcintyre
joannamcintyre Registered Posts: 7 New contributor 🐸
I spent 11 years working for a Tax Consultant during which time he taught me how to do his clients' accounts and tax returns all of which were simple as they were all sole traders like gardeners, builders and hairdressers and their tax returns were no more complicated than my own. Unfortunately, he died last year and several of his clients asked me if I could do their accounts and tax returns instead. I have done their accounts but HMRC will not authorise me to do their tax returns unless I am a member of a professional body. So I have started my AAT level 2. Is it true that I have to do level 3 and 4 in order to be authorised? I am 60 now and by the time I studied all those exams it will be almost time for me to retire! Is there a short course I can do regarding just self-employed taxes instead?

Comments

• douglasstroud
    douglasstroud Registered Posts: 295 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Where does HMRC say you need to be part of professional body?
    I have just been on the website and looked at what you need to apply to be an agent for SA and it says nothing about that, all you need is MLR supervision.
  • joannamcintyre
    joannamcintyre Registered Posts: 7 New contributor 🐸
    Thank you for your reply Douglas. When I applied for an agent code I got a letter back saying they have not been able to confirm my money laundering supervision with a professional body. To get a code I have to be trading as an Accountancy Service Provider (they didn't say how I go about providing that info) and I can be supervised by HMRC's Anti-Money Laundering Supervision service but there was nowhere on their website to choose that supervision option. I tried looking at the guidance notes, maybe I missed it. You're more of an expert than me. One of the tutors at my local college said I would need to do Level 4 but my boss was never qualified to that level and he managed to get authorised. We never dealt with VAT registered clients or partnerships or limited companies, and most of the time our clients didn't used a double entry system.
  • douglasstroud
    douglasstroud Registered Posts: 295 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Just google
    HMRC MLR supervision and it takes you to the page to apply for it, you need this before you can be an agent
  • Ju8u5
    Ju8u5 Registered Posts: 7
    Hi I’m fine to talk you through this and may have a solution. Would you contact me at Julian@grenaccountants.co.uk. So we could arrange a telephone meeting.
    I’m a licensed member.
Privacy Policy