Job Advice

Options
cdicko
cdicko Registered Posts: 2
edited January 2021 in General discussion
I am currently working in the Information Technology industry but I have decided to make a career change into Accountancy. I completed the AAT Level 2 Foundation Certificate in Accounting at the back end of last year. My plan was to try and get an entry level Accounting job before starting Level 3 in the hope of receiving study support however finding a job is proving tricky.

Would starting Level 3 now in my own time give me a better opportunity at getting a job?

Comments

• Pian32
    Pian32 Registered Posts: 474 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I would say it would as it would show commitment.

Depending on the type of role you apply for it could also be industry pressures that are stopping entry level hires at this time of year. With the tax deadline fast approaching it's possible that some companies won't have time to do the standard inductions for instance and so would wait till next month.

I was in a similar position and asked for some work experience which got me in the door and from there I've ended up full time.

AAT Level 4, MAAT
    ACCA in progress
    F4- Passed Aug 2020
    F5- Passed Dec 2020
    F6- Passed Sep 2020
    F7- Passed June 2021
    F8 - Passed Sep 2021
    F9 - Passed June 2021

SBL -
    SBR - Passed Mar 22
    ATX - Passed Dec 21
    APM - Passed June 22
  • lustforlife247
    lustforlife247 Registered Posts: 3
    Options
    Pian32 said:

I would say it would as it would show commitment.

Depending on the type of role you apply for it could also be industry pressures that are stopping entry level hires at this time of year. With the tax deadline fast approaching it's possible that some companies won't have time to do the standard inductions for instance and so would wait till next month.

I was in a similar position and asked for some work experience which got me in the door and from there I've ended up full time.

How did you approach the company to ask for work experience? I would like to do this but not sure how to go about it. Did you contact the companies directly? And if so how by emailing, writing a letter?
  • Pian32
    Options
    In my case I happened to be going to an event where the director was present (just a casual thing). Told him what I was studying (at the time L3) and that I was looking for some experience and would he know somewhere I could get some.

At the time he was looking for an apprentice but only L2 and could give me a weeks experience. That turned into temp work being in a couple of days a week and then fully hired at the end of the year.

If I hadn't met him there I was going to call directly. I'd look at trying some by phone and if not that in person. It's much easier to dismiss an e-mail than a person I'd also look towards smaller firms who might appreciate the extra admin capacity as well as being more likely to speak to someone who is involved in staff management.
    AAT Level 4, MAAT
    ACCA in progress
    F4- Passed Aug 2020
    F5- Passed Dec 2020
    F6- Passed Sep 2020
    F7- Passed June 2021
    F8 - Passed Sep 2021
    F9 - Passed June 2021

SBL -
    SBR - Passed Mar 22
    ATX - Passed Dec 21
    APM - Passed June 22
  • lustforlife247
    lustforlife247 Registered Posts: 3
    Options
    That’s great thanks for the reply ?
  • Pian32
    Options
    Also if you get a sorry we don't have that availability. Ask if they know someone who does as they might know someone from their network who was thinking about hiring soon.
    AAT Level 4, MAAT
    ACCA in progress
    F4- Passed Aug 2020
    F5- Passed Dec 2020
    F6- Passed Sep 2020
    F7- Passed June 2021
    F8 - Passed Sep 2021
    F9 - Passed June 2021

SBL -
    SBR - Passed Mar 22
    ATX - Passed Dec 21
    APM - Passed June 22