Preferred optional units

timsmith86
timsmith86 Registered Posts: 17 New contributor 🐸
What optional units did everyone pick for level 4. I definitely want to study personal tax but unsure for my second unit, business tax or credit managment... Is the business tax unit similar to Vat in level 3? What would be most benifical to future employment? Thank in advance for any thoughts ?

Comments

• Lewisham_lass
    Lewisham_lass Registered Posts: 52 Regular contributor ⭐
    I found Audit was quite a good option, I got on well with the course content. However I guess tax would be better for future employment unless you fancied going into audit!
  • Lewisham_lass
    Lewisham_lass Registered Posts: 52 Regular contributor ⭐
    Best of luck
  • Pian32
    Pian32 Registered Posts: 474 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    This depends on what you want to do.

I completed both of the tax modules. The business tax includes VAT but has a lot more to do with corporation tax, capital gains etc. If you do go for both tax do the personal tax first.

If you were going to work in industry you may find the credit management more useful.
    AAT Level 4, MAAT
    ACCA in progress
    F4- Passed Aug 2020
    F5- Passed Dec 2020
    F6- Passed Sep 2020
    F7- Passed June 2021
    F8 - Passed Sep 2021
    F9 - Passed June 2021

SBL -
    SBR - Passed Mar 22
    ATX - Passed Dec 21
    APM - Passed June 22
  • timsmith86
    Interesting, thanks for your responses.... I currently work in catering, for potential self employed ventures business tax would be worthwhile, but ultimately I would like a career in accounts and finance so thought the credit management may give me a head start.
  • Pian32
    Pian32 Registered Posts: 474 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Depends on how you intend be involved in accounts and finance.

I'm working in a small accounting firm and the credit management is not particularly useful to my general work (doing it as part of ACCA) as we don't generally get asked to make decisions on that side of the businesses we account for. I'd see you using credit management more if working for an internal finance function rather than an accounting firm for example.

On the otherhand I'm using the tax knowledge nearly all the time.

If you're looking at the self employed side more I'd probably look at the management modules as they'll have more of an impact on your day to day runnings.

The last one to consider is that you can always study other optionals without the exam at the end of it for the extra knowledge which if you're going self employed may be valuable to you.
    AAT Level 4, MAAT
    ACCA in progress
    F4- Passed Aug 2020
    F5- Passed Dec 2020
    F6- Passed Sep 2020
    F7- Passed June 2021
    F8 - Passed Sep 2021
    F9 - Passed June 2021

SBL -
    SBR - Passed Mar 22
    ATX - Passed Dec 21
    APM - Passed June 22
  • timsmith86
    Great advice, yes the information will always be there to learn!
  • Eleanor186
    Eleanor186 Registered Posts: 12
    I did business tax and personal tax and scored 92% and 93%, I found these much easier than the rest of the level 4 units which I got in the 70’s for
  • livintiv
    livintiv Registered Posts: 69 Regular contributor ⭐
    I've chosen Personal and Business Tax, because I find taxation fascinating.
    MAAT - April 2022
    Currently working through ACCA
  • thelowendtheory18
    thelowendtheory18 Registered Posts: 298 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I picked external auditing & Business Tax... would say out of the two external auditing was slightly more straight forward but in the exam I scored higher in the Business Tax.....88% vs 79%... I took on a new job just into my level 4 and quite a bit of the role is estimating the NCR (net cash requirement).... so in hindsight I could have probably replaced auditing with Credit Management
    AAT

Level 2 Foundation Certificate in Accounting - 30 Nov 18
    Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Accounting - 16 Oct 19
    Level 4 Professional Diploma in Accounting - 22 Jul 21
Privacy Policy