Software for micro practice

Options
BarbaraK
BarbaraK Registered Posts: 18
Hi All,

Could you please advise which accounting software would be best for micro practice (5+clients)? I am looking for software for my practice (for accounts preparation, CT600 and self-employed assessment) and for clients to prepare accounts, CT600, partnership and self-assessment, payroll. I was thinking about Moneysoft for client's payroll and 12pay for my payroll. For clients accounts I was thinking about Taxfiler, but I am not sure what can I use to prepare and upload my own accounts as I have read on Taxfiler website that it can be used by Agents. Which software would be better for practice - Xero or Qucikbooks?

Thank you in advance for help!

Comments

• lenacarter
    lenacarter Registered Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi,
    I use Quickbooks Online Accountant version and this gives me 'my own' practice accounts for free. Personally, I am not a huge fan of Xero - but know that many don't agree with me.
    I also use Taxfiler for the accounts submissions and tax returns, but as you say, I don't think it cannot be used for your own accounts. I am small enough still to use HMRC's online submission, so have not looked into anything else yet, I think with TaxCalc you can submit your own accounts too.
    Quickbooks payroll is very limited.
    I really like www.thepayrollsite.co.uk', and their support is very good. But, I only use it for small fairly straight forward payrolls, so not sure how it works for larger companies.
  • douglasstroud
    douglasstroud Registered Posts: 295 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Moneysoft for payroll, VT for bookkeeping and Taxfiler for submitting returns as well as my own
  • BarbaraK
    Options

Hi,
    I use Quickbooks Online Accountant version and this gives me 'my own' practice accounts for free. Personally, I am not a huge fan of Xero - but know that many don't agree with me.
    I also use Taxfiler for the accounts submissions and tax returns, but as you say, I don't think it cannot be used for your own accounts. I am small enough still to use HMRC's online submission, so have not looked into anything else yet, I think with TaxCalc you can submit your own accounts too.
    Quickbooks payroll is very limited.
    I really like www.thepayrollsite.co.uk', and their support is very good. But, I only use it for small fairly straight forward payrolls, so not sure how it works for larger companies.

Thank you Lena. Do you mind if I ask you why you are not fan of Xero?

Moneysoft for payroll, VT for bookkeeping and Taxfiler for submitting returns as well as my own

Thanks Douglas. How do you use Taxfiler for sumbitting your own returns? Did you send yourself an agent code? I understand you need agent authorization code to use Taxfiler for submitting returns or is there other way to do it?

• Neillaw
    Neillaw Registered Posts: 307 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Capium for payroll, taxfiler for submission and Excel for book-keeping (small clients) Xero others
  • douglasstroud
    douglasstroud Registered Posts: 295 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    > @BarbaraK said:

> Thanks Douglas. How do you use Taxfiler for sumbitting your own returns? Did you send yourself an agent code? I understand you need agent authorization code to use Taxfiler for submitting returns or is there other way to do it?

You just need your HMRC agent code then you can file any accounts as long as you have the UTR no need to have 64/8 authorisation in place and you need the authentication code to submit Company Accounts.
  • BarbaraK
    Options
    > @douglasstroud said:

> You just need your HMRC agent code then you can file any accounts as long as you have the UTR no need to have 64/8 authorisation in place and you need the authentication code to submit Company Accounts.

Thanks a lot for your help! ???
  • lenacarter
    lenacarter Registered Posts: 10
    Options
    @BarbaraK I think it really is a matter of preference. I personally think all the cloud software do what you what you need them to do, however, I am more familiar with Quickbooks. I have to be honest that I have not used Xero a lot and maybe that is why I could not love it. It wasn't helped by a very pushy sales guy! Anyway, you should try them all out, most of them have a free trial period so you can test out which one you prefer. I have also heard good things about FreeAgent.
Privacy Policy