Debiting & Crediting Daybooks

Hi All,

I sat my first exam (Bookkeeping Transactions) last night and am thrilled with a 93% score. However, I have to admit that I’m not fully understanding debits and credits. I found the PEARLS acronym so useful for debiting and crediting the general ledger and am curious to know if there’s something similar or a method for determining it when it comes to the daybooks etc.

Thanks,
Kirsty

Comments

• Pian32
    Pian32 Registered Posts: 474 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    If you feel confused on whether something is a debit or credit then condsider yourself as a middle man and any funds (whether cash or credit or representative) have to pass through you. If you take/receive from somewhere it's a credit and if you give its a debit.

Take paying a bill: You take from your bank (credit) and give it to either the expense (if bought outright) or the purchases control (if paying an older invoice) which is your debit.
    AAT Level 4, MAAT
    ACCA in progress
    F4- Passed Aug 2020
    F5- Passed Dec 2020
    F6- Passed Sep 2020
    F7- Passed June 2021
    F8 - Passed Sep 2021
    F9 - Passed June 2021

SBL -
    SBR - Passed Mar 22
    ATX - Passed Dec 21
    APM - Passed June 22
  • kiki_w
    kiki_w Registered Posts: 5
    > @Pian32 said:
    > If you feel confused on whether something is a debit or credit then condsider yourself as a middle man and any funds (whether cash or credit or representative) have to pass through you. If you take/receive from somewhere it's a credit and if you give its a debit.
    >
    > Take paying a bill: You take from your bank (credit) and give it to either the expense (if bought outright) or the purchases control (if paying an older invoice) which is your debit.

Thank you so much for explaining that.
Privacy Policy