Looking for voluntary work

Options
Becca45
Becca45 Registered Posts: 1
Hi everyone

I'm mid way through Aat level 3. I've been told it's very difficult to get a pain job at this level, which is fine by me. I'm looking to gain voluntary work? How do I go about this? Do I apply via recruitment website or physically go to business and ask if they would take me on? On the other hand, would it be worth it applying for temp job as finance assistant?

Very confused about how to gain experience.

Comments

• sjtoomer
    sjtoomer Registered Posts: 63 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I am busy applying on various Jobs Web-Sites, for non-voluntary work, but I don't know any decent Accounting/Finance-specific Job Agencies in my region (East Yorkshire). Yes, I too am suffering from the chicken-and-egg problem of experience and job application. I don't think there are that many voluntary Accounting/Finance jobs; possibly see if any Charities or Clubs want a book-keeper, if you don't mind working for nowt (or relatively very little)???
  • bobby_wilson
    bobby_wilson Registered Posts: 10 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I have offered to help out with finance with the local cub scouts where my daughter goes, as an understudy sort of role with the main finance co-ordinator!
  • JuliaWard
    JuliaWard Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Have you tried looking at apprenticeships? I did my level 2 and now doing level 3 (based in York). Some employers pay more than apprentices minimum wage. Check out this website which lists all available apprenticeships https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship

Signup for LinkedIn, I would also look for local training providers and contact them - my training provider is also doing recruitment for apprentices. Maybe check local accountancy practices websites - they might have career tab where they post any vacancies.

I did get my job after I replied to a bookkeeper position ad. Employer did tell me they can't offer me this position, as they wanted somebody experienced, but they were thinking about hiring apprentices and they liked my application! So look for different jobs and apply even if you don't pass all the requirements. Try looking for bookkeeper, accounts assistant, finance assistant, maybe look for payroll jobs? If it's in a small accountancy practice, there's a chance you will get to work on other sides of business. If it's in the industry you might get the experience that will help you get into accountancy. Same with admin jobs, if you haven't worked in an office before.

Don't forget to personalize your CV to strictly accountancy jobs, it definitely makes a difference. Cover letter won't hurt either!
  • JuliaWard
    JuliaWard Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    edited June 2023
    Options
    sjtoomer said:

I am busy applying on various Jobs Web-Sites, for non-voluntary work, but I don't know any decent Accounting/Finance-specific Job Agencies in my region (East Yorkshire).

sjtoomer feel free to PM me, I can send you a list of recruiters in Yorkshire that messaged me on LinkedIn
Privacy Policy