What marks a fail??

Options
acky2106
acky2106 Registered Posts: 52 Regular contributor ⭐
I had the PEV this morning and agree with most of the comments on here in regards to the first part being harder than the second, in fact i ended up wasting far too much time on the first part. I unfortunatelt ran out of time on the second half! I completed the first section, completed the questions on the second half and reworked the P&L + Assets however, i ran out of time and could not recommend which machine etc.

To summarise, i completed all of the data tasks and written andfeel confident these were correct but the very last section of the last question i had no time to do. Will that be a fail?

Thanks.

Comments

• phil555
    phil555 Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    PEV - today's paper

What was that supposed to be??? I have never seen a paper like that before and after the exam closed, a number of us tried to work out where we had all gone wrong. None of us think we have passed. From the forum I can see that I have got a number of the figures the same as others. I went for the 2nd machine as the OP and ROCE were greater, but with a provisio that 72 operators would be out of work if machine 2 were selected. :thumbdown::thumbdown:
  • acky2106
    Options
    Phil, do you think i failed seeing my earlier post?
  • imeldabye
    imeldabye Registered Posts: 147 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I am in a similar position, no way of knowing if my mistakes constitute a fail. I included the purchase price of the machines in the net asset calcualation, so my revised margins were wrong, so my recommendation was wrong. Plus I didn't know discounted cashflow. Does that mean I have failed Section 2 do you think?
  • acky2106
    Options
    I have no ideamy friend, i'm quite bitterly p*&sed off about it to be honest, this was a retake too!
  • Emma1708
    Emma1708 Registered Posts: 217 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I think I have failed too.

However, hasnt it been said before that there is no predetermined pass mark and it is done based on how students do - if many do well then the pass mark is high? I'm sure that was posted here for the June exams

Thats what I'm hoping anyway, that my mess ups were done by others so they give me a pass
  • bevi.babes
    bevi.babes Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    bevi.babes

Hi,
    I too had PEV this morning and spend far too much time trying to work out and understand section 1! This left me very little time to have a go at section 2 which i rushed and didn't have time to answer every question. I even thought all the time spent revising that i'd mastered variances however i was soon proved wrong when i tried to attempt section 1. I found the info given was very confusing and difficult to interpret. Many of my fellow students thought the same too. The room where we did the exam was very cold too which only made matters worse.
  • acky2106
    Options
    I hear you Bevi, i'm sure the exams are far harder in contrast to how the course is taught?
  • warrants
    warrants Registered Posts: 18 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    There was 4 of us who took it this morning and everyone was there until the last 15 mins - I think the length of time Section 1 took made alot of people rush section 2. I think I took about 2hrs to complete section 1, there was just so much writing.
  • Lin84
    Lin84 Registered Posts: 12 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I feel exactly the same!! I can't believe how much time I spent on section 1 and panicked through section 2 because I wanted to make sure i had enough time at the end to go back to section 1. I spent so long revising, it just completely threw me! It's so frustrating!! Our room was cold too! It really didn't help!!
  • phil555
    phil555 Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I don't really know what will or will not constitute a pass for this paper, but looking at all the comments I don't think the pass mark will be that high. I looks like a great many of us struggled with this exam. Thankfully our room wan't cold and we had a great view of the river, but no time to enjoy, my head was down for 3hrs and 15 mins. As was everyone else taking the paper. I hope to be able to discuss with our tutor next week. Keep smiling and hope.
  • sai sari
    sai sari Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    That was horrible. Everyone in my sitting was not expecting section one to be like that. Maybe it will be taken into consideration when marking....
  • gilb88
    gilb88 Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Exam technique

I'm struggling with the idea that so many people haven't been given any tuition on exam technique.

My class have been told time and time again to make sure we don't spend more than the allocated time on each section because the marks you gain from spending the extra time on the first section will be much fewer than those you will gain if you have time to have a go at each of the questions in section 2.

I hope this helps people with more exams to do.

I do agree that the paper yesterday was a bit of a beast and not very much like the past papers I had revised.Xxx
Privacy Policy