Useful Info

Options
claudialowe
claudialowe Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor 🦉
I have today learnt something useful from HMRC :001_smile:

Last year new clients came to see me, so that I can do their tax as from 06.04.07.

Today they phoned up, as apparently their 06-07 returns had not been submitted. It transpires that their previous accountant had not submitted their returns, and is currently doing time at HM Pleasure :001_unsure:

I spoke to the Agent priority number, and appealed to their better nature.

What they said was that if the clients both spoke to their local tax office, they could authorise a once-off phone conversation between HMRC and me.

They have since spent 2 hours trying to get through to their local office, but if it works, well what a result.

I will let you all know what happens.

Claudia

Comments

• deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Just to add..

If you are with your clients when you call the Revenue you can just get them to go through the security checks and then hand over to you. Obviously not very convenient unless your clients happen to be around but it is worth bearing in mind when you have a meeting and there might be some information you need before the 64-8 is in place.
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I took over a client last year, whose previous 5 Tax Returns had been submitted with the same figures. The accountant was again staying under HM Pleasure. The Tax Office would not accept the excuses, even though they knew the full facts. My client had to re-submit all the Returns and had small penalties to pay - because he should have checked the Tax Returns had been submitted correctly.
  • claudialowe
    claudialowe Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Clients called not so local office and repeated my spiel only to be told that it couldn't happen until a 64-8 was in place :thumbdown::thumbdown: why oh why can they not have some consistency in what they say - also they didnt suggest to my clients that I apply online for authorisation, not hoping on the vaguaries on Longbenton, who only seem to open half their post.

Roll on 1st February - if I get there :crying:

Claudia
Privacy Policy