Agent registration??

Options
marine
marine Registered Posts: 31 Regular contributor ⭐
I have just started my own business but was wondering before sending any 64-8's into HMR&C do I need to register as an 'agent'?

If so can someone tell me how I go about doing so??

Thanks

Comments

• shaxxa
    shaxxa Registered Posts: 82 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    You do need to get an agent number first.
    If you ring your local HMRC office they will pass your details to the agent maintainer team who will then contact you in due course.
    Good luck in your new venture.

Sharon
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I could be wrong here but I think you actually need to send in a 64-8 before they set you up with an agent code.

It certainly won't do any harm to do so.
  • shaxxa
    shaxxa Registered Posts: 82 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Dean,
    This is what I actually did, but never received anything back to say I had been registered.
    I then rang my tax office who then got the agent maintainer office to contact me. This took ages and in the meantime I recieved my clients statement which showed my code.
    When the agent maintainer team did eventually contact me by letter, they obviously didn't check their records as someone had already set me up, albeit not to my knowledge.:mad:
    So I guess, like you mentioned, it wouldn't do any harm not to submit a 64-8.

Sharon
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    They don't write to you to confirm you have been set up as agent.

When the 64-8s are processed they enter your postcode into the computer and see if an existing agent comes up, if not, they set you up as a new agent on their system. That is all the action they take at that stage.

If you then want to find out what code you have been given you either have to wait until you receive your agent bundle of statements or try to get through to an 'Agent Maintainer' department. I rang numerous tax offices and no-one had heard of an 'agent maintainer' so I eventually waited for my bundle!

Sometimes the gimps in Longbenton (or wherever they have moved to now) will randomly set you up again as an agent so you may receive two bundles. Bit of a bind because you won't be able to access those clients details online.

Ahh the fun....!
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    and then there's the clients which mysteriously fall off your authorised list for no rational reason whatsoever, so remember to keep photocopies of any 64-8s you do submit :001_unsure:
Privacy Policy