Management Accounts - Which subject to study first

columbia
columbia Registered Posts: 580 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi

I am wanting to study PEV and PCR via home study, which one should I do first?

Thanks in advance

Tracy

Comments

• speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor 🐘
    Do them both at the same time as they are generally both taught on one course.

Speegs:thumbup1:
  • columbia
    Cheers Speegs,

However due to home/work commitments I only want to do one unit at a time and wanted to find out if it was more beneficial to do one particular unit before the other.

Thanks again

Tracy
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    I teach PEV at Chichester College Sept - Dec
    and then
    PCR Feb - June the following year.

For home study, it depends on your experience and existing knowledge.
    If you struggled with ECR you will find PEV more of a step-up than PCR.

If you work in an environment where you produce performance reports as part of the job the 2 key topics of PEV:
    1. variances
    2. Ratios
      Will make this a course that possibly adds a little theory to whaty you do already. So I'd advise PEV first.

So without knowing your background, it is hard to give advice.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • columbia
    Thank you Sandy

I did struggle with ECR as I find management accounts a bit alien - preferring financial accounts.

I started my job last April initially as a temp, but once they saw that I was capable they took me on permanantly. I am the only person doing the accounts for a medium sized company. They are keen for me to do as much as I possibly can in order for them not to have to pay external accountants as much each qtr! They want me to do cash flows and budgets etc, as well as producing qtrly accounts, on top of my day to day tasks which are mainly financial accounts related.

I started studying at college but felt the pace was too quick for myself at the moment, I have 3 children and work 9-3 each day, I feel it best to concentrate on one unit at a time, as I know this way I stand a better chance of passing. I'm getting on well with DFS so thought I would start thinking about the next topic, as ideally I would like to take the DFS exam in June and the 2 management exams in Dec.

Basically, if one course can introduce me into the next one then thats the order I want to study it in.

Thanks

Tracy
  • sebastianforbes
    sebastianforbes Registered Posts: 172 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    i think i have read somewhere that pev and pcr are merging into unit 33 mac which is currently done by diploma students ?!?

if you're only doing one unit at a time then it might be worth changing over to the diploma route if it's feasible.
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    I heard from Alan Cull the PCR examiner yesterday that there are no plans for PEV and PCR to be examined in one paper.

PCR is probably a better one for columbia to start on
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • columbia
    Thank you all for your advice.

Kind regards

Tracy
  • lgarside
    lgarside Registered Posts: 122 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Management Accounts

I'm studying the diploma route and doing unit 33, is this not as good at the technician route where you have to sit both papers?
Privacy Policy