Moan about another HMRC muppet

Options
JodieR
JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
This evening I went to an AAT branch meeting, where the speaker was from HMRC giving a talk on CIS. She started off by saying 'Can I ask who you are as I've never heard of the Association of Accounting Technicians?' - not a great way to inspire people to sit up & listen to you! And she couldn't answer anyone's questions, which all seemed pretty basic. I wasn't impressed! Of course it's the first meeting I've been to where there mysteriously weren't any feedback forms to complete...

Comments

• peugeot
    peugeot Registered Posts: 624 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Could you not complain to the branch area that organised the event?

Knowing HMRC's current reputation, it wouldn't surprise me if they had the sub-contract trainee cleaner undertaking the speech on their behalf.

Facetious I know!

Kind regards
    Steve

p.s. actually the sub-contract trainee cleaners no doubt know more about HMRC's way of working (or lack of) than HMRC know themselves!
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    HMRC events at AAT branch meetings are always poor.

The people giving the talks are trained to deal with Joe Public who do not know the basics, not accounting professionals.

These type of events are cropping up everywhere. Mainly because the AAT does not give much of a budget for branch events so the committees have to find people that will speak for free.

Unfortunately there is not a great deal branch committees can do about it unless they start to charge for attendance or get more funding from AAT themselves.
  • peugeot
    peugeot Registered Posts: 624 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I've never been to an AAT branch meeting mainly because there are never any relevant meetings taking place which I feel would benefit me in the Manchester network.

Surely if the AAT want their MiPs and now their members to comply with their revised CPD policy then they should perhaps revamp their branch networks and improve the quality of their speakers. After all attending these meetings is supposed to help AAT members but if Jodie's experience and Dean's comments are anything to go by then it's not really good press.

Best wishes
    Steve
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    It would be great if AAT put on free CPD lectures for all it's members but that is just not financially viable without a huge increase in subscriptions.

Some branches are better than others at getting good speakers in. East Surrey cancelled some HMRC events because of the poor feedback and replaced them with a better alternative.

I think the branches near to me do a pretty good job and if I was not an MIP then I think most of my CPD needs would be covered.
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Another HMRC muppet - or perhaps just the system:- I received a letter requesting further information regarding a client, but the letter did not specify who it was about. I telephoned the office shown to find out who they wanted information about and gave them the reference number. They asked me who it was relating to and their details. I tried to explain that that was my question, but no...we got nowhere. So HMRC did not get a reply to that letter! Maybe they will try again giving more a bit more of a clue. :001_unsure:
Privacy Policy