Hamish Registered Posts: 8 New contributor 🐸
    I work in London, not yet completed AAT. Salary 26,500 pa
  • sharon
    sharon Registered Posts: 161 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    That is so good!!!!!
  • richardw
    richardw Registered Posts: 108 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Dont forget:

all the London jobs will include a london weighting, this must be equal to about £5k nowadays

public sector pay more than industry, for some unknown reason, in the midlands its about £1k to £2k above industry average.
  • Gianni
    Gianni Registered Posts: 99 Regular contributor ⭐
    Sharon I think you are underpaid! It of course depends on what type of job you do but if you're using your qualification to the full to support your job then I think you should ask for a pay review!

I'm AAT qualified (since Feb 08) and I'm on £28k based in Liverpool with full study support on top for CIMA (I paid for all my own AAT training though). I negotiated hard and used another job offer to increase my worth. I find with some employers they don't value your worth until you show them you can get a job elsewhere... I find a lot of people say "I'm looking for another job" but the same people remain at the same place moaning about their pay all their lives!
  • Emma1708
    Emma1708 Registered Posts: 217 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I earn £23k. I am doing Intermediate which I hope to finish in June. My employer is then going to pay for ACCA for me

I thought I was quite badly paid but reading on here I should stop moaning!

x
  • Nich
    Nich Registered Posts: 49 Regular contributor ⭐
    I earn £23k and have 1 exam left at technician level. i work in Hertfordshire so looking on here i'd say i'm about the same as most poeple who work in the same area....
  • tattookitten
    tattookitten Registered Posts: 46 Regular contributor ⭐
    Holy crap! after reading all of those I'm embarressed to say how much I earn, but its less than Sharon!
    I'm definitely asking for a payrise in my next review. I'm in my 1st year of technician, had 1 year exp as and accounts assisitant and 3yrs as a PL controller, I work for a really small company, but they pay for all my college stuff so I guess thats a bonus, however I don't get bonuses or anything for passing AAT. I feel a bit screwed over atm. :(
  • sharon
    sharon Registered Posts: 161 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Tattoo kitten me and you both need a payrise or find a new job! I will get £18k once i qualify aat! But i still that's rubbish! I am aiming for £23k!!!
  • richardw
    richardw Registered Posts: 108 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I would say that £18k after qualified is about right
    Uni graduates are getting a good wage if their getting that to start with.

Is their a shortage of staff round london & surrounding areas, or has the london weightings gone up?
    If your employers moved 100 miles north, they could get accountants for what their paying for AAT.
  • kel524uk
    kel524uk Registered Posts: 27 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi

I live in derby but work in nottinghamshire and im doing my technician and earn £20k but work pay all my college fees

i think im underpaid as i do all the weekly and monthy payroll, all subcontractor payments, sales ledger and purchase ledger all extensive nominal work and all month end prepertation i.e bank rec, month end journals well i do pretty much everything apart from credit control!!

Does anyone else think im underpaid or is it about right? :confused1:
  • tattookitten
    tattookitten Registered Posts: 46 Regular contributor ⭐
    Yup I think you're right Sharon, I've written a list of why I should get a payrise and I'm going to take it with me in my next review.
    I do realise though that the only way I will earn a respectable amount is if I leave my current job - roll on 2010! :D
  • NewYorkGiants
    NewYorkGiants Registered Posts: 8 New contributor 🐸
    kel524uk wrote: »
    Hi

I live in derby but work in nottinghamshire and im doing my technician and earn £20k but work pay all my college fees

i think im underpaid as i do all the weekly and monthy payroll, all subcontractor payments, sales ledger and purchase ledger all extensive nominal work and all month end prepertation i.e bank rec, month end journals well i do pretty much everything apart from credit control!!

Does anyone else think im underpaid or is it about right? :confused1:

I work in the same area i.e. Notts/ Derby border. My work load is quite similar to yours except I will do the majority of the companys credit control however, I dont do any month end journals yet but my boss is looking to pass that over to me soon. Ive recently had my yearly review and my boss was extremely happy in how I approached my work so she gave me 10% rise.

Taking that into account it still falls short of what you earn by some way. To answer your question, I do take regular peeks at whats on offer in the job market and I would say you are not underpaid.

My question to you is, do you work in the City and if so how do you find the A52/ A610 traffic in the mornings/ evenings?

The reason I ask is that they do seem to pay more if you go to work in the City centres, moreso Notts, so it could be where my next job opportunity is, but the traffic is a concern.
  • kel524uk
    I work in long eaton and go back roads through derby on the bus so takes bout 20 minutes

i think its cus there is only me for a £30million pound turnover hence why i get very frazzled with my work load!
  • NewYorkGiants
    NewYorkGiants Registered Posts: 8 New contributor 🐸
    Oh, I didnt realise the buck stopped at you for financial matters. There's two of us at my place, my and my boss.

She does the VAT, all management a/c cash flows etc, albeit basic ones, year end payroll, sits in and is questioned at the AGM etc. I would say if you are in a stand alone role and are accountable for your companys financial matters then maybe you are underpaid.
  • kel524uk
    i have a financial director who i report to

i give him all information and he presents it to directors and boardmembers
  • Ntensity
    Ntensity Registered Posts: 12 New contributor 🐸
    Im in the 20-25k and have 2 units remaining. I think people have to take into the equation that age can also affect your salary as well...

Btw did some1 say they were from Watford?

I live next to Watford and work in Oxford street now... :D
  • immense
    immense Registered Posts: 97 Regular contributor ⭐
    It completely depends on where you are from, your age and and your experience!! I am down south and earning 19K. I have 3 technician exams to go in June 08. This may sound quite low, but I haven't got the experience in the accounting roles, so I think it is pretty good - Of course i would like more though...................
  • coocoocadgoo
    coocoocadgoo Registered Posts: 41 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi,

I live and work in St Albans in Hertfordshire and I'm on £26K plus study support. Having said that, I have worked at the same company for 8 years! I'm in my technician year and basically run the accounts dept (which is just me!) day-to-day. I report to the Financial Director too. I also get lots of spare time to read websites and finish my project!
    It really does depend on your experience level, as well as where you're based. After all, practical knowledge is more valuable than having passed exams! Sometimes it's very hard to apply the stuff I've learnt in class to my company!
    We have a very creative accountant...
  • *Sarah*
    *Sarah* Registered Posts: 172 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hey Coocoocadgoo

I live and work in St Albans too :o)

Sarah
  • PEEmery2000
    PEEmery2000 Registered Posts: 6 New contributor 🐸
    salary review

Hey folks - i get my pay review this week, Im currently on 16500 PA with unlimited overtime which is at my standard hourly rate. Its a Private Practice.

I did ACCA to half way through level 2, but then came back a step do to AAT because i dont want to be fully qualified, im v happy producing accounts, of which i do silly amoyunt of accounts prep for Limited comapnies.
    I now have 5 years experience where I work, (kingswinford, West midlands) 5 miles from wolverhampton. I have my own clients i see, Im trained to operate Sage Insatnt accounts, Iris Practice Software, and sage payroll
    I complete VAT returns, P35's, P11D's and currently do all the new CIS returns for about 11 clients every month. I also maintain the network at work.

I have to sit DFS, tax and PEV in June then im done. Easier said than done i kno but with my ACCA exams ive passed before im hoping its not going to be to bad. What kind of figure is good for me to ask for? I feel underpaid as im what i do - but dont know if i should have high demands at this stage, your thoughts please....
  • kel524uk
    im in the midlands regiona and i am on £20k doing similar work in industry id say u need to be on more then £16k
  • coocoocadgoo
    coocoocadgoo Registered Posts: 41 Regular contributor ⭐
    *Sarah* wrote: »
    Hey Coocoocadgoo

I live and work in St Albans too :o)

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Small world hey?! That is rather spooky. Hope all your AAT studies are going well :o)

Erin
  • jorja1986
    jorja1986 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hey folks - i get my pay review this week, Im currently on 16500 PA with unlimited overtime which is at my standard hourly rate. Its a Private Practice.

I did ACCA to half way through level 2, but then came back a step do to AAT because i dont want to be fully qualified, im v happy producing accounts, of which i do silly amoyunt of accounts prep for Limited comapnies.
    I now have 5 years experience where I work, (kingswinford, West midlands) 5 miles from wolverhampton. I have my own clients i see, Im trained to operate Sage Insatnt accounts, Iris Practice Software, and sage payroll
    I complete VAT returns, P35's, P11D's and currently do all the new CIS returns for about 11 clients every month. I also maintain the network at work.

I have to sit DFS, tax and PEV in June then im done. Easier said than done i kno but with my ACCA exams ive passed before im hoping its not going to be to bad. What kind of figure is good for me to ask for? I feel underpaid as im what i do - but dont know if i should have high demands at this stage, your thoughts please....

You have several years experience but as is so often the case that doesnt seem to mean diddle anymore which is a shame as you probably know more than the grads in your company.

Maybe it is worth asking about an appraisal and review?

When I was training in practice I got £13250 (age 21 and paying for all the study myself also). Practice does seem to pay lower than Industry but each company is different. Some get paid better.

Maybe it is worth looking in the paper seeing what is advertised similar to your level and look at pay?
  • ambitious
    ambitious Banned User Posts: 93 Regular contributor ⭐
    I'm an intermediate student and earning £17k including study support. I work in the television and film industry so I've got an odd career path at the moment.
  • Claire21
    Claire21 Registered Posts: 6 New contributor 🐸
    Im in my technician level of AAT with 3 exams left to go in june and then if i pass, going on to study ACA in Sept.. i have 3 years experience of working in a v small accounts practise (about 12 people in total!!) where i do quite a lot (prep of year-end accounts, vat returns, tax returns, audits, going out to clients on my own to prepare audit & a/cs & vat etc)... My work pay for all my AAT fees and have done for the last 3 yrs and theyr going to pay for all of my ACA chartered fees which is good.. but im on a LOT less than £14k!!!!!!!! I know my salary will shoot up after im chartered but i cant help feeling im really underpaid????!! Im based up north, Co Durham outside of Darlington.
  • bigmuggsy
    bigmuggsy Registered Posts: 92 Regular contributor ⭐
    Claire

You've just described my role to a tee. I've got just over 3 years practise experience in an office with just 9 people, only the boss and collegue are chartered. I'm doing technician AAT with June exams and going onto ACA in sept, the company paying for me. I'm currently on £16500 (pay review last Feb) and feel underpaid so I'd seriously look into your situation if your on under 14k. I'd hate to think someone in a similar position to me would get such low wages.
  • Claire21
    I have an appraisal in late August/early September, as soon as i get my results in August, to discuss starting chartered in Sept (providing i pass these exams!!).. so i was waiting until then to see the situation i.e. if i get a payrise etc. I love where i work and the work i do, and to a certain extent its not about the money its the principle of it! The annoying thing is that i do a hell of a lot of work here and have taken a pretty much senior role, im almost AAT qualified and going on to study chartered and im so underpaid?! And i know people who have worked here before me at the same level im at now have been paid more! And i know the average salary that i should be earning so its pretty frustrating.
    Where abouts are you working bigmuggsy?? I know people further south are always paid more than up north. I knew i wasnt on a great salary, just didnt realise i was so underpaid in comparison to other people studying at this level!!!!!!
  • bigmuggsy
    bigmuggsy Registered Posts: 92 Regular contributor ⭐
    I work in Liverpool, as I say in a small practise. Have you had a look at the Hays salary guide? If not heres the link;

http://salarysurvey.hays.com/salary-survey/18/3/3/127/

The difficulty is without the experience and qualification a decent wage can't be demanded so to speak. When you pass hopefully you should get a decent rise.

Keep in touch.

Mike
  • Claire21
    I havent looked at the salary guide on Hays before, il have a snoop when i get home! Cheers.
    I know its true what you say, thats why im not going to fret about now and ill wait until i hopefully have the qualification in my hands in august to start ACA in sept! As i do have the experience, behind the 3 directors and one manager, there is me and another guy the same level as me, so i am quite senior already and they have told me that... so fingers crossed!
    Good luck in your exams, il let you know how the appraisal goes and IF i get that decent rise!!!!
  • Lilibet
    Lilibet Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    This has to be the most depressing thread I have ever read.

I'm on £16k in the south east - Essex to be precise, I'm in my technician year and won't get any increase in pay when I qualify (I have checked). I work in local government, so it's certainly not the case that they pay more than private sector! :mad2:
Privacy Policy