Looking for work

Options
Helen918
Helen918 Registered Posts: 15 New contributor 🐸
For the last 5.5years I have worked in an accounting environment, 2.5yrs in Sales ledger and 3yrs in Purchase ledger. I am in the final stages of completing the AAT Technician.

I have recently joined a recruitment agency as I would like to find a job as an assitant accountant and unfortunately am unable to do this at my current work. They have advised me that I should expect to take a significant pay cut to gain this experience (18k down to 14k)

Ideally I don't want to have to go backwards, does anyone have advice on how to approach companies to give you a chance?

Comments

• Joanne
    Joanne Registered Posts: 3 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Looking for work

I read in the recent article on this site(yesterday infact), that a qualification as technician would incurr an wage increase of approx 10% - 15% therefore between 1k and 3k pending on your current salary. I think anyone who is qualifying for AAT would be foolish to take a wage cut after reaching the qualification.

For examples of wages in your area you can look at the Hays Website (which i believe most employers get their information from for salary scales)

http://www.hays.com/accountancy/sal-non-qual-07.aspx

Select the industry and area you are in and you will be able to get an idea of the salary you should expect.

I think the best way to approach companies, in the first instance is with your qualification, and also the fact that you have 5.5yrs experience is surely a good thing. GOOD LUCK!!

Hope this helps

Joanne
  • jorja1986
    jorja1986 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    :huh: It sounds like the are not looking at the rihgt sort of job for you.

An Assistant accountant earns significantly more than 12k.

A TRAINEE accountant on the other hand who requires help will earn £14k.

You have previous accounts experience albeit on ledgers but many see that as a gd start as they dont have to explain how they work - some Accounting Grads I have worked with haven't a clue.
  • Helen918
    Helen918 Registered Posts: 15 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.
    I've voiced my concerns to my class mates too who think this is madness. Fingers crossed that someone will be willling to give me a chance :)
Privacy Policy