ATT qualification

Options
Sevren
Sevren Registered Posts: 101 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hi - I would be grateful for any thoughts/experience from anyone who has done the ATT qualification - I am from a more managment accounting background and am keen to get a better grip on taxation issues but am struggling to get a 'concise' opinion from the ATT website or google as to the study process/level of commitment required !

Many thanks

Comments

• deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I have done ATT.

What do you want to know?

Syllabus and exam structure has probably changed from when I sat them but essentially it's a one-year commitment. 4 exam sittings over 2 days.
  • Sevren
    Options
    Many thanks Dean - in fairness, I haven't had the time to delve too deeply - lack of time being the very reason that I wanted to gauge what I would be getting myself into - I was really not up for another 3 year slog.....

I think that BPP do a course which I will have a look at.

Maybe just get the summer over......

Many thanks
  • shaxxa
    shaxxa Registered Posts: 82 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi Sevren
    If you take a look here http://www.accountancystudents.co.uk/cms/discussion/viewforum/36/
    The 'other' Dean has contributed a lot on this forum in way of advice and on the syllabus.

Sharon
  • Sevren
    Options
    Many thanks Sharon - just what I was looking for.
  • payrollpro
    payrollpro Registered Posts: 427 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Sevren,

I have just spent the past two days on my ATT exams so I can tell you I have mixed feelings about it. I have done Personal Taxaton, Business Tax (but not Higher skills), Compliance (which is my main work) and Ethics.

If I get all four I will be able to apply for membership and it seems to be a reasonably highly regarded qualification. My only problem is the ethics paper where I am very unhappy at the approach ATT have taken.

I get involved in discussions with AAT about ethics and how to teach and examine it so ti has been interesting seeing how another body deals with it and I am not sure I agree with ATT's approach.

Nevertheless I am happy that I have done this, I feel I have learned a lot though I have no desire to do the CTA qualification now, thats is one step too far at my age!

Payroll Pro
  • Dean
    Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Sevren, hopefully you have found all the information you need - if not I might be able to help with anything that's not clear?
    payrollpro wrote: »
    I have just spent the past two days on my ATT exams so I can tell you I have mixed feelings about it. I have done Personal Taxaton, Business Tax (but not Higher skills), Compliance (which is my main work) and Ethics.

Congratulations Payrollpro!! Very brave to take all 4 in one sitting!
    it seems to be a reasonably highly regarded qualification

Yep. It is getting more and more recognition all the time.
    My only problem is the ethics paper where I am very unhappy at the approach ATT have taken.

Very interesting comment! Care to expand?

Personally, from a qualification perspective, this is where I think the ATT is becoming more and more recognised, the ethical approach is no different from the CTA.

(I sat the ethics paper yesterday too)
    I get involved in discussions with AAT about ethics and how to teach and examine it so ti has been interesting seeing how another body deals with it and I am not sure I agree with ATT's approach.

The ethical approach is slightly different between the bodies, the fundamentals I guess are the same but one is focused on Accounting the other Taxation.

Nevertheless I am happy that I have done this, I feel I have learned a lot though I have no desire to do the CTA qualification now, thats is one step too far at my age!

Completely agree! Definitely worth all the hard work. A big step up from the AAT, and for me, it seems to have opened the ACA door...

Regards

Dean
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Dean wrote: »
    A big step up from the AAT, and for me, it seems to have opened the ACA door...

Don't fancy CTA then?

It's going modular now - should be a breeze!!

;)
  • Dean
    Options
    Don't fancy CTA then?

It's going modular now - should be a breeze!!

;)

After ACA :wink:

Regards

Dean
  • shaxxa
    shaxxa Registered Posts: 82 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Gosh 4 ATT exams in one week!!
    Extreme respect to you Payrollpro :thumbup:
    I sat Personal Tax and have to honest - struggled!

Dean,
    Hope you will do well- last one for you!

Sharon
  • Dean
    Options
    shaxxa wrote: »
    Dean,
    Hope you will do well- last one for you!

Think I've cracked it this time! :biggrin:

Well I feel better than last time so hopefully that means I've got the 5 marks I need - fingers crossed.

Regards

Dean
Privacy Policy