My intented career path - any advice welcome!

MattW
MattW Registered Posts: 40 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi all,

I've recently been doing a lot of thinking of where I really want to go in terms of a career in the future and thought I'd post here to share and get some advice (to save me shooting myself in the foot in the long run!!).

I'm currently 25 and am on my 3rd Finance job (first job in industry, second in practice and third in a leading charity). I'm studying at intermediate level and hope to be fully qualified by the end of next year. I'm gaining/gained solid general accounting and payroll experience from these jobs and am fortunante in my current job where if I ask for more experience I can get it.

That's me so far, I currently work in London, however in the near future (after AAT qualified) I want to move to Pembrokeshire. Over there jobs are no where near as readily available as I am used to in London and I would probably be looking at a practice, which is fine for me as I would like to eventually work self employed once settled down & more experienced.

In terms of qualification I feel the AAT is everything I want in terms of learning accountancy and regular CPD should keep me abreast in the future. I'm not planning on studying a chartered qualification - am I shooting myself in the foot here? - as I would be more interested in going for ATT after spending some time reading the syllabus of both!

The type of client I would like to offer my services to would be small local businesses helping with start-ups, tax issues, payroll and accounting. From what I understand as a MIP I can do everything for them except:

-statutory audit (turnover of over 5.6mil??),
-offer financial services (what does that cover?),
-and insolvency practice.

I would hope the ATT qualification, which I have read (not sure how true...) is more comprehesive in Tax than the chartered qualifications, would give me enough knowledge to offer this service as well.

So, that's what I want to head for, any opinions/advice would be welcomed, especially on the qualifications front :thumbup1:

I'm also slightly unsure if I should move over into Practice again while working in London, but I do enjoy my current job and I've just taken on preparing the full accounts from start to finish for one of our subsidiary companies. Plus I feel the money and benefits are really good and don't really want to give them up just yet (trying to save lots of money before we move to Pembs)!

It would be great to hear from anyone who has moved from a city to a rural area as well.

Thanks,

Matt

Comments

• MattW
    MattW Registered Posts: 40 Regular contributor ⭐
    Apologies, I was supposed to post in the "Chat" forum - would a Mod mind moving it for me?
Privacy Policy