PTC - prinicipal private residences

Emma1708Emma1708 Well-KnownPosts: 217Registered
I am struggling with the rules on this. I thought I had got it then one of the past papers had 5 years working abroad and put 4 as not chargeable then the other one as not chargeable for other reasons. I cant see anything that explains it that way in the book so because it was over 4 years I classed it as chargeable.

Help please, I am convinced this will come up tomorrow morning

xxxx
«1

Comments

  • kyle1kyle1 Feels At Home Posts: 31Registered
    Emma1708 wrote: »
    I am struggling with the rules on this. I thought I had got it then one of the past papers had 5 years working abroad and put 4 as not chargeable then the other one as not chargeable for other reasons. I cant see anything that explains it that way in the book so because it was over 4 years I classed it as chargeable.

    Help please, I am convinced this will come up tomorrow morning

    xxxx
    without seeing the question unsure on the reasoning for the difference only thing that may explain this is that the last 36months are deemed to be inhabited and therefore even if you are away for the last 5 years of the residence the last 36 months would be allowed! Hope that makes sense??

    Kyle
  • ChloeGeeChloeGee Settling In Nicely Posts: 23Registered
    HI Emma, from what I gather the rules are as follows:

    Deemed occupation =

    Last 3 Years
    Up to 3 Years absent for ANY reason
    Any periods spent working overseas
    Up to 4 Years spent working elsewhere in the UK..

    Hope you're wrong and this doesn't come up tomorrow 'cause it's always so fiddly to calculate!!
  • kyle1kyle1 Feels At Home Posts: 31Registered
    one more thing to add. An absence must be followed by a period of occupation for it to be allowed.
  • ChloeGeeChloeGee Settling In Nicely Posts: 23Registered
    kyle1 wrote: »
    one more thing to add. An absence must be followed by a period of occupation for it to be allowed.

    Good point :thumbup1:
  • Nicolaw1702Nicolaw1702 Feels At Home BoltonPosts: 64Registered
    :thumbdown::thumbdown:I hope this doesnt come up tomorrow
  • kyle1kyle1 Feels At Home Posts: 31Registered
    :thumbdown::thumbdown:I hope this doesnt come up tomorrow
    Aslong as you apply the rules or atleast show that you have an understanding of what you need to be doing then you will be fine. the exam want hinge on how you perform in this one area.
  • Emma1708Emma1708 Well-Known Posts: 217Registered
    thanks for the replies. I hope my feeling is wrong too - its the only bit I really dont like!

    Its a BPP question: -

    Bought a house 1 August 1985 lived in it until 31 July 1988
    went abroad to work self employed until 31 July 1993
    Went back to the house until 31 January 1994
    Moved in with his sistermp
    Sold the house 31 July 2007


    BPP states 'any period not exceeding four years where the owner was self employed and forced to work away from home'

    So with this being 5 years I thought it was chargeable, but the answer shows

    4 years exempt august 98-july 92 and 1 year exempt august 92-july 93 'any other reason'

    I just dont get it! He was away for 5 years so why is it split?


    xx
  • kyle1kyle1 Feels At Home Posts: 31Registered
    Emma1708 wrote: »
    thanks for the replies. I hope my feeling is wrong too - its the only bit I really dont like!

    Its a BPP question: -

    Bought a house 1 August 1985 lived in it until 31 July 1988
    went abroad to work self employed until 31 July 1993
    Went back to the house until 31 January 1994
    Moved in with his sistermp
    Sold the house 31 July 2007


    BPP states 'any period not exceeding four years where the owner was self employed and forced to work away from home'

    So with this being 5 years I thought it was chargeable, but the answer shows

    4 years exempt august 98-july 92 and 1 year exempt august 92-july 93 'any other reason'

    I just dont get it! He was away for 5 years so why is it split?


    xx
    the only rule that seems to have been applied here is working away within the uk is limited to 4 years and would explain the split?
  • Emma1708Emma1708 Well-Known Posts: 217Registered
    Can someone explain in simple terms to me? I hate not understanding something

    x
  • Emma1708Emma1708 Well-Known Posts: 217Registered
    kyle1 wrote: »
    the only rule that seems to have been applied here is working away within the uk is limited to 4 years and would explain the split?


    But the question states that he was working abroad

    x
  • kyle1kyle1 Feels At Home Posts: 31Registered
    if he is working abroad then it should be allowed? in the question you have posted in my opinoin only the last 42 months living with sister would be deemed as not occupational but you are allowed the last 36 months so only 6 months is deemed to be non-occupational? take it the answer doesnt agree to this??
  • ChloeGeeChloeGee Settling In Nicely Posts: 23Registered
    Emma1708 wrote: »
    thanks for the replies. I hope my feeling is wrong too - its the only bit I really dont like!

    Its a BPP question: -

    Bought a house 1 August 1985 lived in it until 31 July 1988
    went abroad to work self employed until 31 July 1993
    Went back to the house until 31 January 1994
    Moved in with his sistermp
    Sold the house 31 July 2007


    BPP states 'any period not exceeding four years where the owner was self employed and forced to work away from home'

    So with this being 5 years I thought it was chargeable, but the answer shows

    4 years exempt august 98-july 92 and 1 year exempt august 92-july 93 'any other reason'

    I just dont get it! He was away for 5 years so why is it split?


    xx
    Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but if he's working abroad then the whole time is "deemed occupation" as you can work abroad for as long as you want.
    So in this case the whole 5 years would be exempt.

    No? :001_unsure:

    Have no idea why they've split .. clarity of reading lol?
  • Emma1708Emma1708 Well-Known Posts: 217Registered
    But the BPP book says any time working abroad EMPLOYED is allowed, but SELF EMPLOYED is up to 4 years.

    The answer shows Feb 94-July 04 as the only chargeable period.

    Sod it, I am just going to have to hope that it doesnt come up, and if it does its a more simple one!

    Thanks for trying to help

    xx
  • Lee ManningLee Manning New Member Posts: 11Registered
    our tutor has told us that the AAT have dropped this from the syllabus, he came into our class a few weeks ago and said he had good news, we didn't have to learn about PPR
  • Emma1708Emma1708 Well-Known Posts: 217Registered
    Really? I hope he is right :001_smile:
  • Lee ManningLee Manning New Member Posts: 11Registered
    well he also marks papers for the aat so hopefully the information was correct
  • Emma1708Emma1708 Well-Known Posts: 217Registered
    I think its safe to say he is right then :lol:

    Thats the best news I have had for ages!


    x
  • ChloeGeeChloeGee Settling In Nicely Posts: 23Registered
    our tutor has told us that the AAT have dropped this from the syllabus, he came into our class a few weeks ago and said he had good news, we didn't have to learn about PPR
    Are you serious? That's the best news I've heard all day :001_smile: :001_smile::001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:
  • Lee ManningLee Manning New Member Posts: 11Registered
    put this way if it turns up tomorrow then our whole group will complain because our tutor was going to teach it us and then didn't after a phone call with the aat
  • popcornlpwpopcornlpw Feels At Home Posts: 30Registered
    Emma1708 wrote: »
    Can someone explain in simple terms to me? I hate not understanding something

    x
    if you been employed abroad then exempt with no time limited

    if you r self employed working abroad then max 4 years
  • Emma1708Emma1708 Well-Known Posts: 217Registered
    popcornlpw wrote: »
    if you been employed abroad then exempt with no time limited

    if you r self employed working abroad then max 4 years

    Thats where it contradicts itself then in the book - doesnt matter now though!

    Thanks
    xx
  • nikkymnikkym New Member Posts: 11Registered
    PPR came up in the Dec 07 exam and i really messed it up as we had only been introduced to it in our revision sessions!! I think if you can demonstrate some understanding of it then you will be fine - i passed and i know that i messed it up!!!

    Sounds promising that it won't be tested - fingers crossed for everyone....

    ...good luck.x
  • immenseimmense Feels At Home Posts: 97Registered
    I've think i've got it!!

    01/08/85 - 31/07/88 lived there - exempt
    01/08/88 - 31/07/92 - 4 years self employed abroad exempt
    01/08/92 - 31/07/93 - 1 year any reason exempt (part of the ''3 years away for any reason)
    01/08/92 - 31/07/94 - lived there - exempt
    01/08/94 - 31/07/07 - last 3 years exempt


    So basically the whole lot is exempt, and explains the split. 4 years abroad, 1 year ''any reason'' Does that match your answers in the book?
  • coocoocadgoocoocoocadgoo Feels At Home Posts: 41Registered
    put this way if it turns up tomorrow then our whole group will complain because our tutor was going to teach it us and then didn't after a phone call with the aat

    I bet you'll be complaining now! :ohmy:
  • speegsspeegs Experienced Mentor Posts: 854Registered
    Oh No! Lee. I really feel sorry for you guys. Your tutor was obviously talking out of his bottom when he said PPR had been dropped.

    I recommend you contact the AAT, giving your tutors name and your college, and tell what you were told. Surely this is am extenuating circumstance.

    I hope they listent to you. Your tutor has really treated you unfairly.

    Good luck anyway.

    Speegs
  • Emma1708Emma1708 Well-Known Posts: 217Registered
    How did you find it today speegs?

    x
  • speegsspeegs Experienced Mentor Posts: 854Registered
    Hi Emma

    I have PM'd you. I think it was OK.

    Speegs
  • Emma1708Emma1708 Well-Known Posts: 217Registered
    I have replied

    x
  • speegsspeegs Experienced Mentor Posts: 854Registered
    So have I
  • Emma1708Emma1708 Well-Known Posts: 217Registered
    Me too, this could go on a while :lol:

    x
Sign In or Register to comment.