Request for info from previous accountant

Options
Beccy
Beccy Registered Posts: 3 New contributor 🐸
Hi guys,

Does anybody have a standard letter that they use to send to a previous accountant to request opening balances etc?

I thought there used to be one somewhere on the AAT site but can't find it.

Any help V much appreciated - this is the first time I have taken on a client from someone else so not sure of the correct protocol!

Beccy

Comments

• Poodle
    Poodle Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Beccy

What type of client are you taking over, sole trader, partnership, ltd co?

If you PM me your email I will send you a template of what I use.

Poodle
  • jackie515
    jackie515 Registered Posts: 6 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hi Poodle

If I PM my email address can you let me have a copy of the template as well to use on all clients

Thanks

Jackie
  • Poodle
    Options
    Jackie I have PMd you.

Does any one actually charge leaving clients for providing this information onto new accountants?

Poodle
  • claudialowe
    claudialowe Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    No - but then I have only had to do it once!!!!!!!

Claudia
  • pussycat58
    pussycat58 Registered Posts: 21 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    hi folks,

i found something under professional conduct which said it was protocol to ask if there is any reason why you shouldn't take the client before you ask for accounting info.

there was an example in there which i used which somethinmg like this:

I have been asked by the above to accept appointment as accountant.

I would appreciate it if you would inform me of all matters that you aware of which are relevant to the above request which I need to consider in my decision to accept the appointment.

Thank you for your co-operation.

however i have sent another letter for info and received no reply, so POODLE if you have that other template could i have a copy please - email: trevor.clowes1@ntlworld.com

Cheers:001_smile:
  • pussycat58
    Options
    oh hell
    cant you tell im new to this iwas trying make the font smaller!:blushing:
  • pussycat58
    Options
    hi poodle ,

thanks for the templates, i assume it was you.

you can ignore the email reply if you wish, i'd woke up with one of those panics after seeing the subsistence on the other post.

but i am still contemplating what to do about it:blushing:
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I don't know about the AAT, but the ICAEW does not allow its members to charge for providing outgoing information to the new accountant, and I agree with this.

The wording I use is this:

Dear xx,

Re: AN Client

I have been asked by AN Client to act as accountant for their individual affairs and the above partnership [or appropriate wording]. I would be grateful if you could inform me if there is any reason, professional or otherwise, preventing me from doing so.

Assuming that you know of no reason why I should decline the appointment, would you be so kind as to forward me copies of their last accounts, tax returns, and the balances brought forward, along with any other pertinent information.

Many thanks for your time.

Yours sincerely,
  • mc25
    mc25 Registered Posts: 232 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Poodle please if you dont mind could you forward me the template too. I will PM you my email address.

Thanks
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    One of my clients recently moved to Bristol and his new accountant emailed me in the first instance and then we spoke on the phone. He did send me a formal letter requesting various pieces of information, but the chat was by far the best way to communicate.
    Go on everybody - have a try at talking to other accountants!
  • jaksun
    jaksun Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I am a new member and spotted this thread.
    Poodle would you PM me the letter template too please?

Thanks
  • T.C.
    Options
    I requested information from a previous accountant who hasn't even bothered to reply - sent the letter back in July. How unprofessional is that! :mad2:
  • Poodle
    Options
    Professional ethics

TC

AAT professional ethics as follows

5.9.13 If the proposed successor has received no answer to his or her enquiry as to issues or
    circumstances, he or she should write to the existing appointee, by Recorded Delivery service,
    stating his or her intention to accept the appointment unless a reply is received within a specific
    reasonable period. The proposed successor is entitled to assume that silence on the part of the
    existing appointee indicates that the latter has no adverse comment to make. A member who
    accepts appointment in such circumstances is not precluded from complaining to the previous
    appointee’s professional body that the previous adviser failed to respond to his or her enquiry letter

Poodle
  • T.C.
    Options
    I may just send a recorded delivery letter requesting the information again. I have already accepted the client, but do need more information. Thanks.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Professional Clearence Letter

*Name of Old Accountant*
    *Address*

Dear Sirs

*Name & Address of New Client*

We have been approached by the above to take care of accountancy matters. Please could you let us know of any reason why as to not to accept this appointment.

If not please could you let us have:-

1. Copy of most recent tax computation
    2 Copy of lastest Tax return filed
    3 Any payroll details or paperwork you currently have.

Many thanks

Yours faithfully

xx
  • A-Vic
    Options
    If no reply

Same template as above

But copy the letter (id give it a month) resend with covering letter explaning still no reply, and if all else fails by then the 64-8 sent to Newcastle would have cleared and you can request the info from HMRC for tax purposes.

Hope that helps, it our standard approach

also try this

http://www.ir35calc.co.uk/how_to_change_your_accountant.aspx
  • A-Vic
    Options
    T.C. wrote: Β»
    I may just send a recorded delivery letter requesting the information again. I have already accepted the client, but do need more information. Thanks.

TC chances are they wont reply in a hurry if i was you make sure you send the signed 64-8 directly to:-

National Insurance Contributions Office
    Central Agent Authorisation Team
    Longbenton
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    NE98 1ZZ

It will get processed a lot faster
  • T.C.
    Options
    Yes I have done that, but there is another complication. She was in partnership in 07/08 and the previous accountant completed the accounts for the other partner (he has all the records). I can't complete my client's return until the partnership accounts are supplied! Any ideas?
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Why don't you get the client to go in and collect the stuff himself if you're being ignored
Privacy Policy