PEV Exam June 2008 - Section 2.1

Options
Nicola1106
Nicola1106 Registered Posts: 11 New contributor 🐸
I am struggling with section 2.1 on the PEV June 08 paper.
The answer in the model answers states that the net effect is an increase in the profit of £164.29.
I have attempted to work this out but failed. It is probably something very simple, but i have not studied for sometime!
Thanks in advance

Comments

• SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    Beware the examiner's answers.

Beware the examiner's answers.

Look at the question
    (b) Draft a report for the Finance Director covering the following:

(i) an explanation of why the gross profit margin is different in each scenario
    Your answer should refer to the following:
    • sales price per unit
    • materials, labour and fixed cost per unit

............................Scenario 1.. Scenario 2
    Gross profit margin...... 36.00%..... 28.57%

So first thing first, the examiner's comment
    The net effect is an increase in the profit per unit of £164.29
    Is not answering the question, and if you had put it in your answer there wouldn't be any marks for saying it.

The marks are there for saying
    1. Scenario 1 is to set the price at £1,250 per unit whereas Scenario 2 is to set the price at £1,000 per unit
    2. So where one price is 25% more than the other, then you would expect the gross profit margin to be higher.
    3. The variable costs (Materials and Labour) are no different between the two alternatives, so they have had no effect on the different gross profit %
    4. But fixed costs are significant, they are identical under each scenario (genuinely FIXED)
    5. As scenario 1 has sales of 10,000 units each year then the fixed cost per unit is £300
    6. Whereas Scenario 2 has sales of 14,000 units each year so the fixed costs are spread more thinly at £214.29
    7. So lower fixed costs per unit would increase the gross profit margin
    8. Overall Scenario 1 has a £250 per unit selling price but a £85.71 per unit higher cost per unit. This means the gross profit is higher in scenario 1.

Does this help?
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    Look at these per unit figures: These aren't intended as an answer to the exam question, but they might help you see where the examiner's comment has come from

Scenario..........1.....................2
    Price................£1,250.............£1,000
    Cost per unit
    Materials.............£300.............£300
    Labour................£200.............£200
    Fixed Overhead.'..£300.00 .........£214.29
    Gross Profit.........£450..............£285.71

If you take the Scenario 2 profit away from the scenario 1 profit, see what you get.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • Nicola1106
    Nicola1106 Registered Posts: 11 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Many thanks for your help. It is obvious now! I think that is half my problem, i panic so much in exams and do not read the question fully and establish what they are asking for.
    I only have this one to pass then i have completed the AAT!
    Many thanks again

Nicola
Privacy Policy