Best period to get clients?

Options
axl2derv
axl2derv Registered Posts: 172 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Hi,

When is the best period to get clients. I am assuming that January would be the best due to tax retuns? I've been set up 16 days and I haven't got a client yet.

Thanks

Carl

Comments

• Poodle
    Poodle Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Hi Carl,

16 days and no clients, don't panic just yet:001_smile:

What advertising are you doing have you had any enquiries? If you have had enquiries that, I would say that is a good indicator.

If you are bold enough, I picked up some clients by going to the wholesalers (eg electrical and builders merchants) locally, between 7 and 8am and talking directly to the subbies that turned up.

From now on to January is not too bad as well a April and May when the tax returns come out.

But you just cannot say any time of the year applies since getting an accountant normally goes along with starting a business and people do this all of the time.

Poodle
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Hi Carl

Just to let you know things are at peaks and trofts at the moment in our office - pre christmas quite this week as i call it but as deadlines start coming in things get busyier.

As poodle says i deffo wouldn't panic a good client list takes years to build as well as reputation, have you tried council functions or open days what marketing/advertising have you done? am know nosey arnt i lol
  • axl2derv
    Options
    Hi,

So far I have:

โ€ข Advertised in several Post Office / News Agent Windows
    โ€ข Launched a website registered on Google and Yahoo
    โ€ข Paid for Google Adwords
    โ€ข Paid for a premium ad on a local business directory
    โ€ข Signed up to numerous business directories

I am also planing on placing an ad in my local yellow pages and also in a magazine that gets sent to over 13,600 homes and businesses.

Any other tips would be great.

Thanks

Carl
  • Poodle
    Poodle Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Sounds expensive!
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Ecademy.com is my suggestion.

75% of my clients came from there in my first year of trading.

I only got one single client from sending out flyers, letters, postcards etc to local businesses - lesson learned!
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    My clients came through word of mouth. I have had an odd few from free advertising - Thomson local, Post Office window etc, but word of mouth is definitely the best way.
    January clients - mmm - not the best clients if they are looking for you in January.
    Trying mentioning your area on the forum - someone may be able to put you in touch with new clients.
    Work will come in time and, believe it or not, you may well be turning some away one day!
  • axl2derv
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.

I am based near Hull, East Yorkshire. I would be happy to do sub contract work if anybody knows any that is going. I would be a bit worried about asking my local peers as they would see competition.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.

I am based near Hull, East Yorkshire. I would be happy to do sub contract work if anybody knows any that is going. I would be a bit worried about asking my local peers as they would see competition.

My boss has dealings with over a douzen other accountants and they often pass on jobs between each other and vice versa who knows, they might even offer advise, its not all competition, a lot is networking.

Good luck anyway
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Agreed.

If you lived near me I'd have work to throw your way but Hull is a loooong way from me in Surrey.
Privacy Policy