Any darts players out there? AAT request!

Options
NickyB
NickyB Registered Posts: 35 Regular contributor ⭐
Hello,

Me again from the AAT Comms Team. I'm looking for a darts player that has utilised their skills learnt through their hobby in accountancy. This could be along the lines of how you have become so used to doing quick calculations, then you've impressed people at work (or something like that!).

You would be asked to given a quote that (hopefully) might appear in the national press.

So, what are you waiting for? Please PM me with your details.

Thanks as always,
Nicky

Comments

• Buff
    Buff Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    I've thrown a few arrows in my time, but the only accountancy I can think that goes alongside it is Crediting the Pub till and debiting brain cells...
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    i couldnt work out how much i had left without putting the totally into a lotus programme ?
  • NickyB
    Options
    Someone help - there must be at least one person out there who plays darts!
  • sarahwilson
    sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Its a pretty random request a darts playing accountant!!
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Not sure you're gonna get what you're looking for here Nicky since it's a different kind of numeracy.

I don't know about anyone else but when people find out what I do, the usual comment is "Wow, so you must be good at maths then?" To which my usual comment is "No, I failed O' level maths with a U (ungraded) but accountancy and maths are not the same".

Yup, we both deal with numbers but we'd generally use little more than addition, subtraction, multiplication and division and I can't see any use for algebra, logarithms, algorithms etc in what I do day to day. Even then we use calculators and spreadsheets and for me personally, my mental arithmatic isn't that great!

I can do you a complicated spreadsheet with multiple calculations but would struggle at subtracting double top from 161 and then knowing the combinations to finish! I imagine TV commentators probably have the advantage of a darts computer that quickly works this out for them anyway!
  • mark130273
    Options
    Its a pretty random request a darts playing accountant!!

well i can play darts..not professional ? but mind you the WBO doesnt have any good players ?

:001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2:
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I'm not too bad at mental arithmetic, my biggest trouble doing the AAT course was my inability to add up columns of figures accurately. I could add up a trial balance three times and get three different results. Thank god for spreadsheets.

I'm rubbish at darts, it's a good day if I actually manage to hit the board.
  • mark130273
    Options
    yeh but they dont have spreadsheets on the sides of dart boards ?
  • CJW
    CJW Registered Posts: 10 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Darts!
    NickyB wrote: Β»
    Someone help - there must be at least one person out there who plays darts!

I am MAAT and have worked in the accounts field since leaving school. (Now 32 and a MIP) I got the darts bug about 4-5 years ago, now playing for two local leagues weekly in Stockport Cheshire with my partner, Kylie, (who regularly beats me at darts!) and travelling to Sky tournaments to watch throughout the year.

In darts you need a marker, i.e. the person keeping track of the scores and a shouter or caller of the scores.

'Oh you’re an accountant' was the weekly phrase, 'you must be good at maths!' Well the answer was no actually.

Apart from not having a calculator that was heavily relied upon and the backup of an excel formula I must admit I struggled. (Understatement).

I must be honest being under pressure and not very confident I nervously took to the roles. It is fast paced and you have to keep up with both players’ scores or you'll get the angry complaints and fists waving soon rolling in of giving the wrong shout.

Strangely to say darts has improved my maths and my confidence with dealing with people! I am keen to mark as it keeps my brain active and now a keen shouter readily shouting the different permutations of the finishes and scores remaining. You are constantly thinking of score gained, score remaining and the formula for the finish all at once. I often find myself shouting the finish at the TV and telling John Gywne or Sid he's got it wrong!

It is odd sometimes to be adding up a few numbers while working and think" treble eighteen - 54" I am now not too keen to reach for the calculator unnecessarily and actually do a lot of manual computations.

We do play at amateur levels but the maths is the underlying skill of the game. Well done to the Stockport lads putting us on the map this weekend at Lakeside!:thumbup:
  • mark130273
    Options
    well thats long winded story...cheers

my fav double is 16 ....just incase we ever get this exciting AAT darts team going ?
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    well thats long winded story...cheers

Hmmmmmmmmmmm..........

I actually thought it quite interesting Mark and Nicky's question looks like it's finally found an answer, maybe just not the one she was looking for. Being advanced with mental arithmatic leads to efficient darts scoring rather than being skilled at accountancy.
  • NickyB
    Options
    Thank you!

A bit thanks to CJW - this is exactly the sort of thing that I was looking for. I really appreciate you took the time to respond.

I will PM you to get a bit more information.

Thanks to everyone else for responding also. I'm sure I will be posting again soon with some more random queries!

Thanks,
    Nicky (AAT Comms)
  • CJC
    Options
    Which will no doubt be met with equally random replies :001_smile:
  • mark130273
    Options
    well i can play ? but cant travel to ? ps were are you meant to be playing these games ?
  • Buff
    Buff Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    I'm sh*t hot at mental arithmetic. Just the darts throwing i haven't quite mastered. But did have a dart board in my bedroom when I was a kid for a few years. When it fell down, there was a nice circle of un-punched wall :-)
  • mark130273
    Options
    lol . i had that in work . we alway used to play in lunch time and there wassmany many 1000's hole in the wall ...but i hve hit 2 180s in my time ?
  • CJC
    Options
    Yes, in my younger days, the wall took more punishment than the picture of Margaret Thatcher on the dartboard.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Buff wrote: Β»
    I'm sh*t hot at mental arithmetic. Just the darts throwing i haven't quite mastered. But did have a dart board in my bedroom when I was a kid for a few years. When it fell down, there was a nice circle of un-punched wall :-)

At least you didnt have the holes in your legs (dam brother) lol
  • Diannew
    Diannew Registered Posts: 2,814 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: Β»

Ahhhhhhhhhhh poor you...I am sending those hugging arms over to you right now:lol::lol:
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Diannew wrote: Β»
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh poor you...I am sending those hugging arms over to you right now:lol::lol:

lol aww thanks
  • Cullen
    Cullen Registered Posts: 592 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Years ago I used to play darts on a Manchester board and we were very sniffy about the London board players. We thought we were far superior.

Actually I was pretty rubbish on both types of board. But, I knew a plumber called Tommy, Tommy the Plumber, to give him his full name and he was a superb darts player from Moston. He used to play darts around Liverpool and Cheshire, where he wasn't known, hustling a few pounds. If he was found out he used to get the money taken off him and a few thumps. We used to go to the Halle together. Ah happy memories.
  • mark130273
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: Β»

now that is FUNNY :001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2:

but painful:crying:
  • gizmo
    gizmo Registered Posts: 1
    Options
    Looking for darts players for a pub in maghull if u no anyone interested
Privacy Policy