£25 bonus anyone?

deanshepherd
deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
For anyone that banks with Abbey (Business), since they revamped their online banking facility last month if you transfer funds from a business current account to a business reserve account the transfer shows up on your statement as a transfer to the person who authorised it.

E.g. when I transfer money to my reserve account, rather than saying 'transfer to reserve' like it used to, it now says 'transfer to Mr D Shepherd'.

This causes a bit of a headache from a bookkeeping perspective because I now have to write on the bank statements which transfers really are to me and which are in fact transfers to the reserve account.

Quick letter to Abbey with a complaint and they have apologised and credited £25 to my account for the inconvenience.

Long story I know, but if anyone (or their clients) banks with Abbey and wants a quick £25 then send a short letter of complaint.

If only HMRC were as generous with regard to letters of complaint!

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    hahaha excellent well done that man!
    I knew there were plusses to saving money instead of jsut transferring it to me.
    Oh wait, my business bank is in the name of my Ltd Co, and my personal account is in the name of myself... won't work for me.
    Oh well, very nice for sole traders I guess! :)
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Well, maybe you have an ideal opportunity to cash in here Dean and make your successful letter available to others - at a small price! I used to keep a generic complaint template and if I got poor service in shops, just change the minor details to suit!
  • deanshepherd
    faerie9 wrote: »
    Oh wait, my business bank is in the name of my Ltd Co, and my personal account is in the name of myself... won't work for me.

Mine is a limited company. That's kinda the point. Probably wouldn't work for sole-traders but worth a shot anyway.
  • Monsoon
    It says paid to your name not the name of the Ltd Co when doing a transfer to reserve? How very odd! I shall have to do a bank transfer.....
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Yeah! One of my clients banks with abbey and I'm one of the signatories on the accounts, so when I moved £20k into their abbey savings account it said 'Paid to Jodie Riddex'!! I had to warn the directors not to freak out when they saw the transfer - I hadn't really paid it to my personal account!
    Would be nice to get the £25 for it - thanks for that :)
  • Dean
    Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor 🐘
    JodieR wrote: »
    Yeah! One of my clients banks with abbey and I'm one of the signatories on the accounts, so when I moved £20k into their abbey savings account it said 'Paid to Jodie Riddex'!! I had to warn the directors not to freak out when they saw the transfer - I hadn't really paid it to my personal account!
    Would be nice to get the £25 for it - thanks for that :)

Can see how that could have been mis-understood!! :laugh:

Regards

Dean
  • Monsoon
    Boohoo, mine just says Transfer... I feel cheated!!
  • marine
    marine Registered Posts: 31 Regular contributor ⭐
    hi dean

could you send me a template of your letter as i have just checked and they have done the same to me?

regards

Tim
  • sheelagh
    sheelagh Registered Posts: 133 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Abbey Bank statements

Have they also rectified the matter? I suppose only time will tell. And will they see it as a problem for all their customers or will all complainants have to ask individually for a better description.
    Abbey have also switched their debit and credit columns. I've been dealing with a client today who feels the need to regularly (too often if you ask me!!:crying:) move money between three Abbey accounts - all with the same name, and all in the wrong column:thumbdown:
  • deanshepherd
    No rectification as yet and I don't think any will be made retrospectively. They did tell me that they are aware of the problem and will be working on it in due course.

I notice that they no longer number the statements now either. That is going to be a real bind when you are checking that clients have sent you all their statements..!
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    It happens with sole traders as well, I have a client who has a current and reserve account in the name of his businesses and a current personal account in another bank and I came across this just this week (whilst doing his VAT return).

Swapping the columns over is a pain too!
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I hadn't noticed the column swapping - I just love that we now get a running balance online - makes reconciling the bank so much easier!
  • deanshepherd
    I guess every cloud has a silver lining!!
  • sheelagh
    sheelagh Registered Posts: 133 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    statement numbering

There appears to be some sort of sequence - it goes something like
    2/2008, 3/2008 etc. You will find it in very small print, top right
    If you have more than one sheet per statement they all have the same statement number, and no page numbers. What joy.
  • deanshepherd
    Update!!

Abbey just phoned me about my second complaint.. (I'm turning into a bit of a Victor Meldrew..!)

They say they are working on a solution and have offered me a further £75 compensation payment!

I think I have found a whole new career.

Now, what can I complain about next..!!
  • Dean
    Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor 🐘
    Continue like this Dean and you'll be showing a credit under Bank Charges in your P&L - Good work! :thumbup1:

Regards

Dean
  • T J
    T J Registered Posts: 26 Regular contributor ⭐
    When Abbey changed their loggin page the totally messed up my new loggin and gave me the same number for my own business bank account and for a client's business bank account who I am a signatory for!!!! Now when I log in I get his account, his business reserve and my own business account all showing on one screen!!! When I transfer money between his accounts in has my personal name on the transfer.

What's more, we banked a cheque for £2k a couple of weeks ago which bounced, Abbey haven't represented it or sent it back, and they now can't find it so we are having to grovel to a customer to cancel the cheque and issue a new one.

Has anyone else noticed how long it takes for then to pay cheques in if you use their postal banking - a week if you're lucky, then wait 5 days for it to clear....

sorry to go on... :huh:
Privacy Policy