Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 4 (Level 8 in Scotland)

acca vs cima

I'm comtemplating one over the other at the moment. With ACCA you get exemptions from modules F1-F3 but with CIMA you get the whole "certificate stage" exempt. I will never work in practise. I've got plenty of experience as an Assistant Management Accountant in the public sector now. After exemptions ACCA has 11 exams and CIMA has 10. So would any of you choose ACCA over CIMA or vice versa ?

Comments

  • SandyHoodSandyHood Font Of All Knowledge Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034
    I have been told by our exCIMA students that 2 years after qualifying they are invited to join ACCA. No further exams just the membership fees.
    I think ACCA do the same.

    On that basis, you could have both 2 years after qualifying with either.
    So look at the exam content and choose the one you like the look of.
    Sandy
    [email protected]
    www.sandyhood.com
  • *Sarah**Sarah* Well-Known Registered Posts: 172
    Thanks for that Sandy, I had no idea you could do it without sitting some of the final level exams too
  • mark130273mark130273 Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 4,234
    think it depends on which branch of accounting you wish to go into ?
  • Gem7321Gem7321 Experienced Mentor DevonMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 1,438
    mark130273 wrote: »
    think it depends on which branch of accounting you wish to go into ?
    I will never work in practise. I've got plenty of experience as an Assistant Management Accountant in the public sector now.

    Both are suited to industry accounting. I agree with Sandy, take a look at the syllabus
  • mark130273mark130273 Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 4,234
    but have been told that cima no good in a practice !
  • Gem7321Gem7321 Experienced Mentor DevonMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 1,438
    No it's not, but they've already said they will never work in practice (see my 1st reply with the quote)
  • mark130273mark130273 Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 4,234
    ohh right.........sorry..........
  • axl2dervaxl2derv Well-Known Registered Posts: 172
    As a qualified member of ACCA, CIMA or CIPFA you may currently apply for membership of the ICAEW if you meet the following eligibility criteria*:

    * A qualified member of ACCA, CIMA or CIPFA for at least 5 years.
    * No disciplinary record with your current professional and regulatory bodies.
    * Be compliant with your current professional body's continuing professional development requirement.
    * You must be sponsored by two ICAEW members who have known you for at least three years.
  • Sonny_LSonny_L Well-Known Registered Posts: 201
    Some CIMA's work in practice. Consultancy roles at the big 4 for instance. CIMA is popular for this type of work.
  • DeanDean Experienced Mentor DevonRegistered Posts: 646
    axl2derv wrote: »
    As a qualified member of ACCA, CIMA or CIPFA you may currently apply for membership of the ICAEW if you meet the following eligibility criteria*:

    * A qualified member of ACCA, CIMA or CIPFA for at least 5 years.
    * No disciplinary record with your current professional and regulatory bodies.
    * Be compliant with your current professional body's continuing professional development requirement.
    * You must be sponsored by two ICAEW members who have known you for at least three years.

    Even with membership of those bodies I think you are still required to sit the 3 exams from the advanced stage.

    Regards

    Dean
  • *Sarah**Sarah* Well-Known Registered Posts: 172
    Dean wrote: »
    Even with membership of those bodies I think you are still required to sit the 3 exams from the advanced stage.

    Regards

    Dean

    Thats what I thought too
  • EsmeEsme Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 711
    Do they both take about 3 years to complete if you are AAT qualified?
  • *Sarah**Sarah* Well-Known Registered Posts: 172
    Esme wrote: »
    Do they both take about 3 years to complete if you are AAT qualified?

    I would say on average yes
  • Paul24Paul24 Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 578
    Esme wrote: »
    Do they both take about 3 years to complete if you are AAT qualified?

    The normal route for an AAT student progressing to CIMA (to the best of my knowledge) is to sit two exams per sitting at managerial level three strat egic papers at the following sitting, then TOPCIMA. This in total would be two years, assuming first time passes all the way through.

    It is possible to complete managerial in two sittings by taking three exams per sitting, but I do believe that this is the most common approach.

    Paul
Sign In or Register to comment.