acca vs cima

*Data Input* officer
*Data Input* officer Registered Posts: 59 Regular contributor ⭐
I'm comtemplating one over the other at the moment. With ACCA you get exemptions from modules F1-F3 but with CIMA you get the whole "certificate stage" exempt. I will never work in practise. I've got plenty of experience as an Assistant Management Accountant in the public sector now. After exemptions ACCA has 11 exams and CIMA has 10. So would any of you choose ACCA over CIMA or vice versa ?

Comments

• SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    I have been told by our exCIMA students that 2 years after qualifying they are invited to join ACCA. No further exams just the membership fees.
    I think ACCA do the same.

On that basis, you could have both 2 years after qualifying with either.
    So look at the exam content and choose the one you like the look of.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • *Sarah*
    *Sarah* Registered Posts: 172 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Thanks for that Sandy, I had no idea you could do it without sitting some of the final level exams too
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    think it depends on which branch of accounting you wish to go into ?
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    mark130273 wrote: »
    think it depends on which branch of accounting you wish to go into ?
    I will never work in practise. I've got plenty of experience as an Assistant Management Accountant in the public sector now.

Both are suited to industry accounting. I agree with Sandy, take a look at the syllabus
  • mark130273
    but have been told that cima no good in a practice !
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    No it's not, but they've already said they will never work in practice (see my 1st reply with the quote)
  • mark130273
    ohh right.........sorry..........
  • axl2derv
    axl2derv Registered Posts: 172 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    As a qualified member of ACCA, CIMA or CIPFA you may currently apply for membership of the ICAEW if you meet the following eligibility criteria*:

* A qualified member of ACCA, CIMA or CIPFA for at least 5 years.
    * No disciplinary record with your current professional and regulatory bodies.
    * Be compliant with your current professional body's continuing professional development requirement.
    * You must be sponsored by two ICAEW members who have known you for at least three years.
  • Sonny_L
    Sonny_L Registered Posts: 201 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Some CIMA's work in practice. Consultancy roles at the big 4 for instance. CIMA is popular for this type of work.
  • Dean
    Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor 🐘
    axl2derv wrote: »
    As a qualified member of ACCA, CIMA or CIPFA you may currently apply for membership of the ICAEW if you meet the following eligibility criteria*:

* A qualified member of ACCA, CIMA or CIPFA for at least 5 years.
    * No disciplinary record with your current professional and regulatory bodies.
    * Be compliant with your current professional body's continuing professional development requirement.
    * You must be sponsored by two ICAEW members who have known you for at least three years.

Even with membership of those bodies I think you are still required to sit the 3 exams from the advanced stage.

Regards

Dean
  • *Sarah*
    Dean wrote: »
    Even with membership of those bodies I think you are still required to sit the 3 exams from the advanced stage.

Regards

Dean

Thats what I thought too
  • Esme
    Esme Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    Do they both take about 3 years to complete if you are AAT qualified?
  • *Sarah*
    Esme wrote: »

I would say on average yes
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor 🐘
    Esme wrote: »

The normal route for an AAT student progressing to CIMA (to the best of my knowledge) is to sit two exams per sitting at managerial level three strat egic papers at the following sitting, then TOPCIMA. This in total would be two years, assuming first time passes all the way through.

It is possible to complete managerial in two sittings by taking three exams per sitting, but I do believe that this is the most common approach.

Paul
Privacy Policy