Step Change? Foundation to Intermediate

Options
alanm
alanm Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
Hi all,

I'm currently studying Foundation at evening class - that's three hours a week studying the same course that part timers are covering in six hours a week.

Despite the necessity of covering the requirements at double speed, I am finding the pace of the course very slow. However, I believe that that will not be the case with Intermediate as an evening class.

I've a firm offer for next year at the college to do Intermediate, but have chosen to do part time instead of evening class because I am concerned that the Intermediate is much harder than Foundation and I will find myself being swamped!

Note I am NOT working in the industry - presently a copier jockey!

I also have a nagging concern about the cost of the course, I could save hundreds of pounds with a correspondence course. Is that sensible for someone with no experience in the industry? I'd have to be smart with my time - I share childcare with my wife.

So can anyone share there experiences re how they chose to study Intermediate? By the by, I am degree educated so studying hard is something I know about and learning new skills is something I enjoy - just need the time to put the hours in.

Thanks in advance,

Alan..

Comments

• sarahwilson
    sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I found Intermediate a big gear change from Foundation so I think you're being sensible opting for part time. Is it possible for you to alter back to 3 hours a week if you find it reasonably straightforward?
  • alanm
    alanm Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Sarah,

Thanks for the reply - I'm sure I could swap. CDo you reckon going down the correspondence course route is viable? Given I actually work at the college that is providing the AAT courses, I could always bend the tutors ears if I do have trouble doing the course by post - but they may not be too happy!

Alan..
  • sarahwilson
    sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I am doing distance learning for intermediate, its hard going but if you put the hours in theres plenty of helpful people on here and you get a tutor you can call or email so you have support. If you are used to study as you obviously are that may well be a good option for you.
  • jackie
    jackie Registered Posts: 81 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I did all 3 levels by distance learning in 21 months, it is very flexible in that you can go at your own pace.
    If you are self motivated, prepared to study hard and utilise your time distance learning is an excellent way to study. Cheaper too! Also, everyone here are always more than willing to help if you get stuck :001_smile:

Good Luck

Jackie
  • Esme
    Esme Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I am doing intermediate by home study with premier training and haven't found it a struggle at all. I thought it would be really difficult but find that as long as you put the hours in, it's just a case of reading through the material a few times to make it sink in.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Am studying through college and will say the jump from certificate to intermiate is a big one
  • spurschic1@yahoo.com
    spurschic1@yahoo.com Registered Posts: 94 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I also studied with Prem Training, started April last year and did both exams in Dec. The tutors are great and books are really clear to follow too. I'm a full time mum so did about 6 hours a week. I would say at least with home study you can do as little or as much as you want and you're tutor will set your timetable to how you want it

Good Luck! :thumbup:
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    i am alos doing intermediate by distance learning (BPP). although yes you can take your time, be careful.. my company paid for the course fully at the beginning ans as it has taken longer than 2 years, i am now having to pay for my simulations etc to be marked. but yes it is a big change but if you put the time and practise in you will be fine. you just have to be motivated to pick up the books.

Tracu
  • T J
    T J Registered Posts: 26 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi
    I did two years of evening classes then distance learning with BPP books. If you're already used to studying hard then you will have the self-discipline required to do distance learning. Just decide which exam/s to take in June/Dec and stick to a plan that will let you achieve them.

Good Luck - you CAN do it.

From a former student, now FMAAT, MIP
Privacy Policy