Home For accounting professionals General accounting discussion
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Payslip Information

T.C.T.C. Experienced MentorRegistered, Tutor Posts: 1,448
I have just taken on a client who has been employing someone for 3 months (and just let her go). The employee has asked for a P45 or P60, but she was not earning enough for that to be required. However, my client did not provide her with any payslips. If she provides back-dated payslips now, what information is mandatory for the payslips - she has no employer ref?

Comments

• DiannewDiannew Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 2,814
    T.C. wrote: »
    I have just taken on a client who has been employing someone for 3 months (and just let her go). The employee has asked for a P45 or P60, but she was not earning enough for that to be required. However, my client did not provide her with any payslips. If she provides back-dated payslips now, what information is mandatory for the payslips - she has no employer ref?

Hi,

I would imagin Pay to date and if any Tax/NI deducted to date also.
  • JodieRJodieR Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 1,002
    I think that it's acceptable to just provide a letter just saying that they were paid x amount with no tax deducted, and it may be useful to include the date which emplyment terminated.
    Jodie
  • T.C.T.C. Experienced Mentor Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448
    Yes, I think I will suggest that as the easiest solution. I believe the former employee needs this for some sort of benefit claim, so hopefully that will suffice. Many thanks.
  • payrollpropayrollpro Trusted Regular Hampshire/SurreyRegistered, Working Together with HMRC Posts: 418
    Don't forget that the provision of a pay advice is an employment rights issue, nothing to do with tax etc. Section 8 Emmployment Rights Act 1996 provides for a pay advice in writing on or before the day on which the payment is made.

It only has to show the pay and an itemised list of deductions but the key point is that a slip is not optional, it is mandatory.

Payrollpro
  • T.C.T.C. Experienced Mentor Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448
    Yes, but a bit late now!