Technical Advice Please

Options
columbia
columbia Registered Posts: 580 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Hi

I am trying to apply for a job and it says I can attach a copy of my CV.

My CV is typed in word and I have been trying to attach it but it keeps saying that the CV must be in .doc (MS word) or rtf (Rich Text File Format).

What am I doing wrong as it doesn't attach???? :001_unsure:

Thanks in advance

Tracy

Comments

• Buff
    Buff Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    can I ask where you are trying to upload the cv to - if you would like to PM me if you want to keep it secret that's fine. I will then test it with one of my own word files to see what the problem is (if any). It may be the actual place where you are uploading to that has the problem - or it may be your file.

If you have typed your CV in word, then it will be .doc extension - providing you didn't specity another file extension when you saved it - default is .doc.
  • columbia
    Options
    Cheers Buff

I've PM'd you!
  • columbia
    Options
    Hi

I've managed to do it! I'm such a noodle head!!! :blushing: All I needed to do was go to Save As, give it a name and then change the format to RTF.

It's sent now, so fingers crossed.....::001_smile:
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Do you use vista? If so it would be a .docx which some don't like, to save as a .doc you go to save as (same as .rtf) and save as a word 97-03 document
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Do you use vista? If so it would be a .docx which some don't like, to save as a .doc you go to save as (same as .rtf) and save as a word 97-03 document

Ah you beat me to it, just what I was going to say!
    The .docx and .xlsx thing is a complete pain in the backside...!
  • AdamR
    AdamR Registered Posts: 668 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options

Are you sure that's a Vista thing? I thought it was Office 2007 that put the x on the end. At work we have the two different versions of office ('03 and '07) but only run XP Pro but I'm sure the '07 files have the X.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    AdamR wrote: ยป
    Are you sure that's a Vista thing? I thought it was Office 2007 that put the x on the end. At work we have the two different versions of office ('03 and '07) but only run XP Pro but I'm sure the '07 files have the X.

Yes it's the new Office 2007 format, not Vista. If you're running an older version of Office on Vista it will still be the old style .doc
  • columbia
    Options
    Hi

It is office 2007 that I am running on this pc, thanks for your advice!
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    If you go to the microsoft website you can download a patch that allows an older version of office to open docx and xlsx files, all for free
  • AdamR
    AdamR Registered Posts: 668 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    And very useful it is too! Means my PC doesn't need upgrading to the (fill in appropriate derogatory curse here) that is Office 2007!:laugh:
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I tried out Office 2007 way back when it was in beta and hated it - then again Word was perfectly OK with 97 and everything since has just been pointless change just to flog a new version.
  • Buff
    Buff Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Agreed.

Should have halted EVERYTHING after Windows 98.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    i had to use latest office in college last year and am used to 2003 the format is totally different and i hated it too - they say they update for convience to users but how?
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Buff wrote: ยป
    Agreed.

Should have halted EVERYTHING after Windows 98.
    Actually, I though Windows '95 was a bad move at least with 3.1 I had something of a clue how it worked. :001_tongue:
Privacy Policy