Home For AAT student members General AAT student discussion
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚


Apprentice of the year 2009

deano_162deano_162 Settling In NicelyRegistered Posts: 23
I managed to pass my intermediate exam in 6 months first time and alongside my full time job and my teacher nominated me for apprentice of the year! has anyone ever been involved or come across anybody thats been involved in this? I was quite shocked to have even passed let alone get this sort of chance! should hopefully boost my cv in future! Also can anyone guide me on an idea of wages for an apprentice working towards technitian level in the Yorkshire area? I've recently had my appraisal and the outcome wasnt quite what I'd hoped for! Maybe im just being greedy? Cheers :thumbup1:
«1

Comments

  • Gem7321Gem7321 Experienced Mentor DevonMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 1,438
    Don't they get many passes at your college? Hundreds and hundreds of students pass their exams first time whilst in full-time employment and don't get nominated :confused1:
  • deano_162deano_162 Settling In Nicely Registered Posts: 23
    i dont know they wouldnt just nominate me for no reason i'v passed it in an extremely short period of time apparantly. My centre has many passes a year but i must have done something special.. thanks for p---ing on my bonfire! :thumbup:
  • blobbyhblobbyh Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 2,415
    No disrespect but passing first time in six months really isn't that outstanding. One of the girls on my Tech course a couple of years ago managed to complete both the Intermediate and Technician levels within the same academic year (September to June) alongside working and being a single parent....

    ... now that is outstanding!
  • columbiacolumbia Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 580
    Congratulations Deano!

    Job well done, you should be deservedly proud. I must admit I haven't heard of the apprentice of the year award, but thats probably because I'm not likely to win it!!!! :laugh:
  • Sonny_LSonny_L Well-Known Registered Posts: 201
    blobbyh wrote: »
    No disrespect but passing first time in six months really isn't that outstanding. One of the girls on my Tech course a couple of years ago managed to complete both the Intermediate and Technician levels within the same academic year (September to June) alongside working and being a single parent....

    ... now that is outstanding!

    How is this post remotely necessary?

    Well done for the award and as for salaries, maybe £17-20k for tech student.
  • AdamRAdamR Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 668
    For salaries, you should also see this thread: http://forums.aat.org.uk/showthread.php?t=21596

    £12k - £15k for a MAAT isn't uncommon unfortunately.
  • blobbyhblobbyh Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 2,415
    Sonny_L wrote: »
    How is this post remotely necessary?

    Probably about as necessary as nominating someone for apprentice of the year based on the same moderate success that has been achieved - and even bettered - by hundreds of others throughout the country.

    While I truly congratulate the OP on passing the level in six months - something he should be rightly proud of - I'd be lying by agreeing this is anything extraordinary and giving such unrealistic accolades will do little to prepare him and others for the much tougher challenges that many will undoubtedly face later on in life, both professionally and personally.

    I'm not apologising for my initial comments and believe you do a far greater disservice to someone by offering up hollow sentiments in the name of being polite rather than maybe unpleasant comments in the name of blunt reality.
  • RacheyRachey Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 589
    Firstly i'd like to say congratulations!

    However i can see Blobbyh's point of view. There's a girl i studied with that did EXACTLY the same as you, however english was her 6th language!! So to do what you've done in a 6th language is remarkable. I'm sure everyone has a story on here, mine being doing 2 courses in the same academic year (intermediate and payroll) whilst working full time and a mother to a 3 year old and a newborn baby.

    Good luck with apprentice of the year, dont let this put you off, just be realistic about it.
  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Registered Posts: 6,970
    Rachey wrote: »
    Firstly i'd like to say congratulations!

    However i can see Blobbyh's point of view. There's a girl i studied with that did EXACTLY the same as you, however english was her 6th language!! So to do what you've done in a 6th language is remarkable. I'm sure everyone has a story on here, mine being doing 2 courses in the same academic year (intermediate and payroll) whilst working full time and a mother to a 3 year old and a newborn baby.

    Good luck with apprentice of the year, dont let this put you off, just be realistic about it.

    wow now that deserves an award shoot do you sleep?
  • Sonny_LSonny_L Well-Known Registered Posts: 201
    blobbyh wrote: »
    Probably about as necessary as nominating someone for apprentice of the year based on the same moderate success that has been achieved - and even bettered - by hundreds of others throughout the country.

    While I truly congratulate the OP on passing the level in six months - something he should be rightly proud of - I'd be lying by agreeing this is anything extraordinary and giving such unrealistic accolades will do little to prepare him and others for the much tougher challenges that many will undoubtedly face later on in life, both professionally and personally.

    I'm not apologising for my initial comments and believe you do a far greater disservice to someone by offering up hollow sentiments in the name of being polite rather than maybe unpleasant comments in the name of blunt reality.

    Mine wasn't hollow, there's probably more to it than just passing intermediate in that time scale. He might consistently excel in class or maybe he has real difficulty with the subject and had to work extra hard to pull it off.

    I did not assume one post on a forum covered the whole scenario.

    I hope you stayed faithful to your last paragraph and told that single mother how pathetic her achievements were compared to an Oxbridge graduate. Keep her damn feet on the ground.
  • deano_162deano_162 Settling In Nicely Registered Posts: 23
    Re:

    Well I havnt got through anyway got the e-mail this morning. I asked my tutor about it over the weekend and apparantly it was due to the fact that I got exceptionally high results some of the best in the county. I do agree with alot of people I don't see why I was nominated it was an added bonus the results are what really matters! thanks for the feedback regarding salaries etc! :thumbup:
  • blobbyhblobbyh Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 2,415
    Sonny_L wrote: »
    I hope you stayed faithful to your last paragraph and told that single mother how pathetic her achievements were compared to an Oxbridge graduate. Keep her damn feet on the ground.

    Jesus wept Sonny. Many have struggled through their exams nor was I belittling the OP even though you've chosen to view it that way. I've already acknowledged his success as something to be rightly proud of. The opening post was maybe mostly unqualified in which it rather hinted heavily that the sole reason for the apprentice of the year nomination was the fact it took six months and which Gem has also commented upon. If it's the time consideration alone then six months is nothing extraordinary, something which you appear not to agree with.

    For my own course, I was self funded, had a full time job, did another part time job three nights a week while having my children to stay every single weekend for over three years, Friday night to Sunday night. So finding the time, motivation and the overall will to carry on with anything at all was very difficult and there were many dark times in those years. There are many unsung 'heroes' on this forum who don't speak about what they've gone through to achieve whichever level of success they're currently at and congratulations to every single one of them.
  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Registered Posts: 6,970
    Please dont take this in any bad way deno (also congratulations on the award) but why the rush?

    Ive read in the accountancy mag of a guy who passed all 3 levels in a year. personally i like to take my time even if it means doing the deploma year in two, only because i want to be able to understand what am learning and be able to put it in to practise not just learn the formulas and tick the right boxes(as a tutor said to me tut).

    lastly dont burn yourself out either pace yourself and remember learning can be fun not a race.

    regards and all the best for the rest of your studies


    Vic
  • deano_162deano_162 Settling In Nicely Registered Posts: 23
    Just a point

    Just a point aswell. It's not me who nominated myself I was nominated by my teacher so I cant answer why I was put forward! but most of these stories make me think I am a very average student compared to some of you out there and many congratulations from me! some good feedback!
  • deano_162deano_162 Settling In Nicely Registered Posts: 23
    A-Vic wrote: »
    Please dont take this in any bad way deno (also congratulations on the award) but why the rush?

    Ive read in the accountancy mag of a guy who passed all 3 levels in a year. personally i like to take my time even if it means doing the deploma year in two, only because i want to be able to understand what am learning and be able to put it in to practise not just learn the formulas and tick the right boxes(as a tutor said to me tut).

    lastly dont burn yourself out either pace yourself and remember learning can be fun not a race.

    regards and all the best for the rest of your studies


    Vic
    Thanks Vic. I was given the option of what I felt I was capable of during the year. Me and my tutor and employers were happy that I was capable and I wouldnt rush into an exam. I think it was to do with me working in a very small practice that offers a lot of time to aid me that got me through the course so quick so I was happy I understood and capable. thanks for the good advice for me with my technician year and anything else I do!
  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Registered Posts: 6,970
    deano_162 wrote: »
    Just a point aswell. It's not me who nominated myself I was nominated by my teacher so I cant answer why I was put forward! but most of these stories make me think I am a very average student compared to some of you out there and many congratulations from me! some good feedback!

    Yeah i was also nominated some years ago myself for an award by my tutor had to go to the town hall and collect it on a cermony at night.

    Id defo advise you to go - its a good night.

    And please dont take what i said before as a critasium you should be proud and enjoy it well done
  • Sonny_LSonny_L Well-Known Registered Posts: 201
    blobbyh wrote: »
    Jesus wept Sonny. Many have struggled through their exams nor was I belittling the OP even though you've chosen to view it that way. I've already acknowledged his success as something to be rightly proud of. The opening post was maybe mostly unqualified in which it rather hinted heavily that the sole reason for the apprentice of the year nomination was the fact it took six months and which Gem has also commented upon. If it's the time consideration alone then six months is nothing extraordinary, something which you appear not to agree with.

    For my own course, I was self funded, had a full time job, did another part time job three nights a week while having my children to stay every single weekend for over three years, Friday night to Sunday night. So finding the time, motivation and the overall will to carry on with anything at all was very difficult and there were many dark times in those years. There are many unsung 'heroes' on this forum who don't speak about what they've gone through to achieve whichever level of success they're currently at and congratulations to every single one of them.

    You were sniping. That's the disagreement. I agree 100% with the bulk of your waffle above. There's nothing special about passing any AAT level in any timescale in my opinion (ignoring extremes). I fast tracked the course too.

    We interpreted him differently, I thought it was painfully obvious there was more to winning that award than what was written in the OP. The thread is mainly about a salary query, he was just providing a little backstory. I guess you thought he was boasting.

    I'm kind of embarrassed by this argument though. End.
  • blobbyhblobbyh Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 2,415
    Sonny_L wrote: »
    You were sniping
    Sonny_L wrote: »
    We interpreted him differently

    You mean pretty much as you've chosen to interpret me then by your seeing an alleged 'snipe'? I simply gave a comparison to another high achiever - much higher than myself I should add - which you've seen exactly how you want to see it.

    I agree we should end it here though...
  • Sonny_LSonny_L Well-Known Registered Posts: 201
    Yeah I genuinely thought you were just trying to belittle the guy needlessly at first but you explained your perspective and if you say you meant it constructively then that's how you meant it.

    Yes I probably did look for something to jump on in your first reply to me, I'm kind of argumentative. I'm sure you can relate though?

    Cheers
  • deano_162deano_162 Settling In Nicely Registered Posts: 23
    a funny little thread

    yeah the query was more to do with the salary and thanks for the people that mentioned it. I had my appraisal and went from 9k to 10k... I am on a day release though and my employers contribute nothing to my course. Its a struggle but where else will I find work at this time! Cheers people
  • RiasRias Just Joined Registered Posts: 3
    Been lurking for a while and just thought I'd like to contribute with a differing opinion on this thread!
    All these single mothers working full time and studying.......
    And we wonder why kids go off the rails........ I apologise if I cause any offence but I won't be congratulating them on their success, being a mother is the MOST important job in the world. IMHO kids need their parents.
    All credit to them for trying to better themselves, but a full time job, a 3 year old, a new born and studying, you must have huge support???? Otherwise something WILL give eventually.
    I assume I am quite old in comparision to a lot on this forum, I've been there and done that with the baby thing! Three of the little darlings, all bigger than me now!!!! Though I'm not super woman and only worked part time from home!!! Whilst my kids were a sleep and later whilst at school.
    Well done for being nominated. I don't know how old you are but going by your salary, if full time, you are earning under minimum wage for someone over 21 years so assume you are younger, I'm sure it will improve particularly as your tutor recognised your effort. I've always found being reliable and trustworthy are the assets most employers desire. Your employer obviously recognises you are a valuable asset by giving you the raise after your appraisal, stick with it and well done, everyone has to start somewhere and you sound like you are off on the "right track".
  • sarahwilsonsarahwilson Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 567
    Oh dear god:001_rolleyes:
  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Registered Posts: 6,970
    Rias wrote: »
    Been lurking for a while and just thought I'd like to contribute with a differing opinion on this thread!
    All these single mothers working full time and studying.......
    And we wonder why kids go off the rails........ I apologise if I cause any offence but I won't be congratulating them on their success, being a mother is the MOST important job in the world. IMHO kids need their parents.
    All credit to them for trying to better themselves, but a full time job, a 3 year old, a new born and studying, you must have huge support???? Otherwise something WILL give eventually.
    I assume I am quite old in comparision to a lot on this forum, I've been there and done that with the baby thing! Three of the little darlings, all bigger than me now!!!! Though I'm not super woman and only worked part time from home!!! Whilst my kids were a sleep and later whilst at school.
    Well done for being nominated. I don't know how old you are but going by your salary, if full time, you are earning under minimum wage for someone over 21 years so assume you are younger, I'm sure it will improve particularly as your tutor recognised your effort. I've always found being reliable and trustworthy are the assets most employers desire. Your employer obviously recognises you are a valuable asset by giving you the raise after your appraisal, stick with it and well done, everyone has to start somewhere and you sound like you are off on the "right track".

    fee fi foo fum
  • taskeytaskey Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 1,800
    bring on the trumpets!!!
  • JanJan Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 654
    FRom Ria
    All these single mothers working full time and studying.......
    I apologise if I cause any offence but I won't be congratulating them on their success, being a mother is the MOST important job in the world. IMHO kids need their parents.
    All credit to them for trying to better themselves, but a full time job, a 3 year old, a new born and studying, you must have huge support???? Otherwise something WILL give eventually.

    I've been itching to reply to this, but didn't want to "pinch" your thread deano - but that seems to have happened anyway (Congrats on your achievement btw)

    You're entitled to your opinion Ria, but don't single working mothers have enough of the guilt thing thrown at them anyway? Like you I was lucky enough to be able to "give up" working when I had my first child way back in 1987. (Who am I fooling, being at home with a baby is hard work) Lucky, in that I had the choice - back then you were asked if not when you were coming back, so I didn't have the pressure of being expected to return. Yes money was tight and after a year at home I went back to working - "on call" so worked only if I wanted to. I believe things are different now - women are expected to work, and so contribute to providing for the family. It's no longer solely the man's responsibility - our mothers left work as soon as they got married! Can you imagine having to do that?

    What is the alternative to a single mum - living on benefits? Then they get even more slagging off. And don't go down the route of well they shouldn't have got pregnant in the first place! Contraception doesn't always work -unplanned pregnancies happen, it happened to me with my third, (which I miscarried, so I've been there as well.) In a perfect world, we'd all keep our legs crossed till we were happily marrried to a man who could provide for us ... and ride off into the sunset on his white charger.
    And we wonder why kids go off the rails........

    Please..there is surely much more to it than single working mums studying to help them get/keep a better job.

    OK girls, I've said my piece.
  • fatandfortyfatandforty Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 553
    And very well said too Jan! I have been very lucky in staying at home to bring my kids up whilst earning money through childminding. Now they are a little older and I think I am a good example to them by studying and trying to better myself.
  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Registered Posts: 6,970
    Jan wrote: »
    FRom Ria


    I've been itching to reply to this, but didn't want to "pinch" your thread deano - but that seems to have happened anyway (Congrats on your achievement btw)

    You're entitled to your opinion Ria, but don't single working mothers have enough of the guilt thing thrown at them anyway? Like you I was lucky enough to be able to "give up" working when I had my first child way back in 1987. (Who am I fooling, being at home with a baby is hard work) Lucky, in that I had the choice - back then you were asked if not when you were coming back, so I didn't have the pressure of being expected to return. Yes money was tight and after a year at home I went back to working - "on call" so worked only if I wanted to. I believe things are different now - women are expected to work, and so contribute to providing for the family. It's no longer solely the man's responsibility - our mothers left work as soon as they got married! Can you imagine having to do that?

    What is the alternative to a single mum - living on benefits? Then they get even more slagging off. And don't go down the route of well they shouldn't have got pregnant in the first place! Contraception doesn't always work -unplanned pregnancies happen, it happened to me with my third, (which I miscarried, so I've been there as well.) In a perfect world, we'd all keep our legs crossed till we were happily marrried to a man who could provide for us ... and ride off into the sunset on his white charger.



    Please..there is surely much more to it than single working mums studying to help them get/keep a better job.

    OK girls, I've said my piece.

    well bloody said i so wanted to jump in myself and say the same thing - everyone is entitlted to there views but when used to blame socitey problems on single mothers working isnt that just stupid - why not just call yourself adoph hitler and bring back the final solution.

    Honestly isnt it working mothers that show society what can be achieved with a little extra effort and determination. Also isnt it showing the children themselves that the world isnt given to you on a plate and that if you want to suceed in anything in life you have to work for it.

    A-Vic

    mother, granmother Single, working full time and part-time student (and dam proud):thumbup:
  • Gem7321Gem7321 Experienced Mentor DevonMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 1,438
    Oh my god!

    Kids also need food and a roof over their heads, when my baby arrives I have to go back to work and studying to provide that.

    Unfortunately men aren't on the same high salaries they were 20 years ago and costs of living are that much higher, it's virtually impossible for a mother not to go back to work. And if studying helps to improve their chances of getting better jobs, then that is fair.

    Sorry for the hijack Deano!
  • RiasRias Just Joined Registered Posts: 3
    O dear!
    Well firstly I don’t consider myself lucky! You may consider me lucky but you don’t know me, so assumptions……. Husband on high salary……. More wrong assumptions…..
    Secondly I didn’t mention anything about being on benefits, surely if working full time not entitled to benefits, if on benefits then not working so should have time to study….. I don’t know……
    Thirdly I felt I was just standing up for Deano who was being told he/she was nothing special and so many others had done so much more……
    Fourthly I still maintain that it must be a nigh on impossibility to work full time and study with two very young children without an enormous amount of support, there simply aren’t enough hours in the day……
    Also I don’t believe I mentioned anything about pregnancy, unplanned or otherwise or about contraception working or not working, more assumptions……
    Don’t believe I blamed all societies’ problems on single mothers either….. just astounded at the hours they work if full time and studying and wonder when they play with their kids…….
    Where did Adolf Hitler enter this????? I assume you are talking about eugenics, something I have spent a small amount of time looking into and debating, though in the US not Hitler’s regime and I can assure you that is definitely NOT something I would support, though I would support THE FAMILY, which this Government seems hell bent on destroying……

    My best wishes to all you young mothers studying, hats off to you. As I said I’m not super woman, just a hard working mum…… who obviously had it so much easier in “my day”.

    Lastly Deano I do hope you are incredibly and deservedly proud of your achievements, WELL DONE…..

    BTW was the name calling necessary? You may think I'm stupid, in fact I may well be, you may also think I resemble Hitler, maybe I do, though I don't have a moustache!!!!! but it was pretty rude all the same.....
  • AdamRAdamR Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 668
    Gem7321 wrote: »
    Oh my god!

    Kids also need food and a roof over their heads, when my baby arrives I have to go back to work and studying to provide that.

    Unfortunately men aren't on the same high salaries they were 20 years ago and costs of living are that much higher, it's virtually impossible for a mother not to go back to work. And if studying helps to improve their chances of getting better jobs, then that is fair.

    Sorry for the hijack Deano!

    Less women working would mean more higher paid jobs for us guys though, surely?:laugh:

    Sorry Gem (and all the others)!

    I can see both sides of this - I also think that mothers should be around to look after their kids and not be rushing back to work at the first instant; it can't do any good if the child never sees his/her parents.

    There is too much pressure on going back to work 3 days after giving birth - SMP should be payable directly from the Government (ie not through PAYE) for 3 years for example and the woman resigns her position at her job, only re-applying when the child is of a suitable age. (With the unemployment benefits as they stand, they might even be better off).

    My mum left her job in 1989 to have me and started work as a temporary Sales Assistant over the Christmas season at Argos over 12 years later. In other words, she was always there while me and my Sister were growing up.

    But as costs have risen, I can understand why so many are having to stay in work. It's a very difficult situation to be in, I do appreciate that.

    There is one suggestion/solution that I have heard voiced before but to repeat it would upset quite a few people. However, the idea does have its merits...

    Apologies to anyone I may have offended with this post, I probably should've stayed out. However after being away from the forums for a week, I needed somewhere to post!:laugh:
Sign In or Register to comment.