autism

Options
richardw
richardw Registered Posts: 108 Dedicated contributor 🦉
havnt been on here for a while:

ive been having some problems at work, & eventually got a referral to see a psychologist
now been diagnosed with atypical autism

work are going to see if theres anything they can change with the current job to help, but after finishing aat (hopefully this year), i was wanting to move on to a better & more relevant job.

does anyone have any experience of this?
what happens when employers want 'people persons, team players etc' & thats the stuff that is the problem.

Comments

• Jon_1984
    Jon_1984 Registered Posts: 186 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Why would you want those "team" skills in an accounts dept???

I have just deliberately chosen a candidate as my assistant because she is a heads down, get on with it and get it right sort of person.....
  • Marg22
    Marg22 Registered Posts: 84 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi Richard I do agree to an extent with what Jon said, but If you seem to be able to get on with people it could help further your career. If it does not come naturally try to act. When you go for your paper say a few words to someone or smile it will not be easy but keep trying. If you have a bad day start again the next day until it becomes easier. If you keep your head down and keep working you get your pay each week but get taken for granted and more work pushed onto you, so keep trying to interact with people it will bring rewards to you. Always remember that what you have to say is worth saying so say it. Step outside yourself and just do it.

all the best

marg
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    havnt been on here for a while:

ive been having some problems at work, & eventually got a referral to see a psychologist
    now been diagnosed with atypical autism

work are going to see if theres anything they can change with the current job to help, but after finishing aat (hopefully this year), i was wanting to move on to a better & more relevant job.

does anyone have any experience of this?
    what happens when employers want 'people persons, team players etc' & thats the stuff that is the problem.

Hi Richard,

I also have the same condition but I have learned to work with others as it was always a requirement of the roles I occupied. I would prefer to work alone without distraction but there are not many roles like that. I have always exaggerated my team skills at interviews rather than being honest and saying I preferred to work alone.

I could never seem to hold a job down because I was always focused on one thing which caused me to under perform in other areas and communication was a big issue for me.

The advantage being that I am very good at accounting because that is the subject I am over focused in. It does mean however that I am unable to switch off and everything relates to numbers and statistics outside of work. I also find it difficult to build relationships with people inside and outside of work resulting in me not having many people I can call friends and also causing great strain on my marriage.

Even though there is no medication for the condition, the key is to build on the weaknesses to strengthen them.
  • steveJ
    steveJ Registered Posts: 694 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    :thumbup1:
    Marg22 wrote: »
    Hi Richard I do agree to an extent with what Jon said, but If you seem to be able to get on with people it could help further your career. If it does not come naturally try to act. When you go for your paper say a few words to someone or smile it will not be easy but keep trying. If you have a bad day start again the next day until it becomes easier. If you keep your head down and keep working you get your pay each week but get taken for granted and more work pushed onto you, so keep trying to interact with people it will bring rewards to you. Always remember that what you have to say is worth saying so say it. Step outside yourself and just do it.

all the best

marg

I totally agree with Marg. You really have to step outside of your normal self. It seems scary, but once youve tried it it will get easier and easier. Listen to what people talk about, how they converse and how they make each other laugh. Just get some tips. Also if you fancy it try reading " How to win friends and influence people " - by Dale Carnegie (You can get it from Amazon.co.uk) This is a great book with a lot of ideas. I have it and it dont hurt to look back on now and again.

Good luck

Stay positive
  • welshwizard
    welshwizard Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    To be honest, it's nothing to worry about - there are many eduactionalists who would tell you that we all lie somewhere on the autistic spectrum. Don't worry about 'getting on with people' they should be able to take you as they find you and if they can't whose problem is it? Certainly not yours!

Team playing is something that can be learned and will take time but this is not an insurmountabel problem - often we tend to focus on our weaknesses instead of our strengths. Think about what you can do well and what you excel at- you'll soon see that you have plenty of qualities that an employer will want.

Most of all, do not let others put you down but be careful who you tell about the situation - make sure that your Human Resources Officer is aware of confidentiality with regard to 'health' issues - although autism is not a health problem or illness it is a condition and I believe is a genetic condition. Certainly look around for some relevant reading material - I have read some cracking accounts of people with autism and how they have become the best in their field.

Good luck!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I like to think of it as ability rather than a disability. The brain sacrifices social connection for an increase in academic progression. No great loss when you think about it.
Privacy Policy