Pay Increase after completing AAT? your comments...

Options
Portsmouth_AAT
Portsmouth_AAT Registered Posts: 96 Regular contributor ⭐
Just wondering if anyone is/has recieved a pay increase after completing their studies? :thumbup:

My job when asvertised has scope in the salary as it wanted someone who was studying, no preferance as to what route etc.

Now I am nearing the end of it im just wondering other peoples experiences regarding this? did you have to ask/prompt for it? did the company do it automatically? :confused1:

any comments welcome!

Comments

• AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    You should get one. (unless you are on an amazing salary atm)

I would ask for a pay review..
  • Polymer xx
    Polymer xx Registered Posts: 13 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hey

Yep you should definately get a pay rise.

Mine's going up from just over 22 to 26.5k, which i think is pretty reasonable..
  • katielou
    katielou Registered Posts: 28 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Polymer xx wrote: »
    Mine's going up from just over 22 to 26.5k, which i think is pretty reasonable..

What is your job title? I am beggining to think that I am really underpaid!!
    I am a management accountant, with 2 exams to re-sit in Dec and i get know where near what you get paid! :ohmy:
  • Polymer xx
    Options
    Hey

'a management accountant' thats a really cool title!!

At the moment - i'm still Accounting Technian Trainee - but it'll move onto Assistant Auditor in the next week or so, still not as cool as 'management accountant' though!
  • neuroticprincess
    neuroticprincess Registered Posts: 56 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hey

Yep you should definately get a pay rise.

Is that for being Technitian qualified?! What area are you in?!

Im about to start 3rd year and am currently on around £16k and will go up to £18.5k when I finish 3rd year.
  • Portsmouth_AAT
    Options
    I am due a meeting soon hence my message on here, i feel i should have a decent rise once qualified hopefully after Dec exam but fi i dont start asking now it wont happen, previous experience tells me that!!

I am a Assistant Management Accountant, work for a large energy company and have been in the role 2 years. My salary now is £22177 but started on £18500 and the increases were cost of living and £1,000 on completion of probation period!

This thread is not ment to be intrusive of peoples money but to get a feel of how people are treated by companies once qualified. I feel as a student we put alot of time and effort into passing exams and the reward should be from the employer once qualified.

The Hays website salary thing indicates around 25k for my area.

Any other examples are welcome
  • messedup89
    messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I am due a meeting soon hence my message on here, i feel i should have a decent rise once qualified hopefully after Dec exam but fi i dont start asking now it wont happen, previous experience tells me that!!

I am a Assistant Management Accountant, work for a large energy company and have been in the role 2 years. My salary now is £22177 but started on £18500 and the increases were cost of living and £1,000 on completion of probation period!

This thread is not ment to be intrusive of peoples money but to get a feel of how people are treated by companies once qualified. I feel as a student we put alot of time and effort into passing exams and the reward should be from the employer once qualified.

The Hays website salary thing indicates around 25k for my area.

Any other examples are welcome

:ohmy: i was only on 10k when i started! :001_tt1: your wage :thumbup: Do you get day release for college and do work pay for your course?
  • Polymer xx
    Options
    Sorry, should have mentioned before to make it comparable, working in central london in audit..(yes its really boring..)

I'm on a four year scheme, started on 20,700 got 800 bonus for completing intermediate and then with annual pay rise brought it up to 22 and a bit, but now that i've completed technician too will move up to 26.5k when new contracts come through next week.

due to start ACA in october - our exam pay rises will then go up between £750 and £1250 after each set of exams so maximum ill be on a trainee will be about 30,500 i reckon if that - not sure how many sets of exams there are - think we'll do in five/six stages but some are on the lower pay rise and then when we qualify at end of next two years i.e. aug 2011 we'll be on about £38k as an 'Auditor' then, depending on how good we are they may offer a permanent postion as a principal which is about 50 but i heard that takes about a year to organise!!

Not bad really but only if i pass exams, if i had failed any of the intermediate, i would have lost my job straight away though, so i guess theres always that risk.

My salary sounds decent compared to most people my age but i pay a quarter of that in travelling to work a year!!
  • Portsmouth_AAT
    Options
    messedup89 wrote: »
    :ohmy: i was only on 10k when i started! :001_tt1: your wage :thumbup: Do you get day release for college and do work pay for your course?

I paid for my first year of study as was not in an accounting role, then within the same comp transferred to Accounts Payable then 6 months later to Management Accounts.

The pay hasnt changed much from when I worked in the main part of the business tbh, with cost of living etc.

Work now pay for the course but I had to do eve a college and this last unit i will be doing alone as cannot get the half day release i need to attend college.

What area are you in cos this does influence the pay a lot. I always look on hays for jobs and they show similar pay to mine in this are for a lot less work most of the time.
  • messedup89
    Options
    Sorry, should have mentioned before to make it comparable, working in central london in audit..(yes its really boring..)

I'm on a four year scheme, started on 20,700 got 800 bonus for completing intermediate and then with annual pay rise brought it up to 22 and a bit, but now that i've completed technician too will move up to 26.5k when new contracts come through next week.

due to start ACA in october - our exam pay rises will then go up between £750 and £1250 after each set of exams so maximum ill be on a trainee will be about 30,500 i reckon if that - not sure how many sets of exams there are - think we'll do in five/six stages but some are on the lower pay rise and then when we qualify at end of next two years i.e. aug 2011 we'll be on about £38k as an 'Auditor' then, depending on how good we are they may offer a permanent postion as a principal which is about 50 but i heard that takes about a year to organise!!

Not bad really but only if i pass exams, if i had failed any of the intermediate, i would have lost my job straight away though, so i guess theres always that risk.

My salary sounds decent compared to most people my age but i pay a quarter of that in travelling to work a year!!

Decent salaray? :confused1::confused1: Do you know how incredible jelous i am of that! And a pay rise after each set of exams!!! You are so lucky, it doesnt matter if your jobs boring when your getting paid that for the level your at :ohmy: its not fair tho that if u fail an exam u lose ur job, thats stupid and unfair :thumbdown:
  • Portsmouth_AAT
    Options
    does any one else get rewarded after completing each level of AAT?
  • messedup89
    Options
    I paid for my first year of study as was not in an accounting role, then within the same comp transferred to Accounts Payable then 6 months later to Management Accounts.

The pay hasnt changed much from when I worked in the main part of the business tbh, with cost of living etc.

Work now pay for the course but I had to do eve a college and this last unit i will be doing alone as cannot get the half day release i need to attend college.

What area are you in cos this does influence the pay a lot. I always look on hays for jobs and they show similar pay to mine in this are for a lot less work most of the time.

Im an assistant accountant in the management accounts dep, been here 1.5yrs, should complete technician after december exams. Work pay for our courses and we get day release to attend college but we have to make the hours back (which is fair since their paying).
  • Portsmouth_AAT
    Options
    Im an assistant accountant in the management accounts dep, been here 1.5yrs, should complete technician after december exams. Work pay for our courses and we get day release to attend college but we have to make the hours back (which is fair since their paying).

Sorry I meant what part of the country?
  • messedup89
    Options
    manchester
  • Portsmouth_AAT
    Options
    My my knowledge (i have a friend whos BF lives up there) Manchester cost of living etc are alot cheaper so wages are lower. Houses etc are sooo much cheaper, I recently brought my first property a 1 bed flat and if i had done the same in Manchester I could have got a 3 bed detatched!!

If you are concerned then I would log onto hays website as you can put your qualified level on there and see the average expected pay for your area.

I think my pay is average but do expect to recieve a pay increase after qualifying!!
  • Portsmouth_AAT
    Options
    that should have said " by my knowledge......"
  • messedup89
    Options
    My my knowledge (i have a friend whos BF lives up there) Manchester cost of living etc are alot cheaper so wages are lower. Houses etc are sooo much cheaper, I recently brought my first property a 1 bed flat and if i had done the same in Manchester I could have got a 3 bed detatched!!

If you are concerned then I would log onto hays website as you can put your qualified level on there and see the average expected pay for your area.

I think my pay is average but do expect to recieve a pay increase after qualifying!!

lol i did at the beginning of the year. Im a good couple of grand short :ohmy:
  • Portsmouth_AAT
    Options
    lol i did at the beginning of the year. Im a good couple of grand short :ohmy:

Are you in a position to question your employer? Or wait until qualified and then broach the subject.

Last time I had an increase my boss (male) increased my collegue (whos also male) although he wast due an increase at that time based on that he had been in the job slightly longer than me he said he should be above me on the pay scale!!!!! I have worked for the company 3 years longer than him hence why i was near his salary!!! I bit my tongue but feel at the moment I am nearly AAT qualified, he is on 2nd level of ACCA with no previous qualifications and If he gets one at the same time I shal kick of based on sexual discrimination on pay!!
  • messedup89
    Options
    Are you in a position to question your employer? Or wait until qualified and then broach the subject.

Last time I had an increase my boss (male) increased my collegue (whos also male) although he wast due an increase at that time based on that he had been in the job slightly longer than me he said he should be above me on the pay scale!!!!! I have worked for the company 3 years longer than him hence why i was near his salary!!! I bit my tongue but feel at the moment I am nearly AAT qualified, he is on 2nd level of ACCA with no previous qualifications and If he gets one at the same time I shal kick of based on sexual discrimination on pay!!

ooh that not good :thumbdown: i'd wait until after im qualified and see what sort of pay rise i get. So far have only got them in april like everyone else, tho our pay rise was slightly bigger because we studying. Wasn't about passing a level, was just the cost of living increase but a bit bigger. Fingers crossed for you :thumbup:
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    well i feel ashamed to say im fully qualified and the jobs ive been looking at are only paying about 16K ????
  • Portsmouth_AAT
    Options
    ooh that not good :thumbdown: i'd wait until after im qualified and see what sort of pay rise i get. So far have only got them in april like everyone else, tho our pay rise was slightly bigger because we studying. Wasn't about passing a level, was just the cost of living increase but a bit bigger. Fingers crossed for you :thumbup:

Yea Im a strong woman and dont let men (be it my boss) walk all over me, I actualy do more work than the male in quastion now anyway!!! have more responsabilities, so I will fight my corner this time. I have very good contacts within the business who keep wanting me to work for them as im so good at my job lol :blushing: their words not mine!!
    So if all else fails I shal take them up on their offer!!! :thumbup: win win situation!!

And good luck with your rise, if you think you are worth more to the company than you are being paid then mention it, the worst they can say is no!!! thats my new attitude to it!!! :001_tongue:
  • messedup89
    Options
    mark130273 wrote: »
    well i feel ashamed to say im fully qualified and the jobs ive been looking at are only paying about 16K ????

i'd take it if they offered ACCA study support :thumbup:
  • Portsmouth_AAT
    Options
    mark130273 wrote: »

i think my pay is reasonable due to the fact i have been with the company for 5+years now.

Also depends strongly upon experience iv found alot of management accounts roles that want experienced people, I was lucky and my firm has the vacancy and wanted a studier so jumped at the chance, all experience!!
  • crispy
    crispy Registered Posts: 466 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hello,

Sorry to interrupt, I am AAT qualified (MAAT) and P/Q CIMA (2 exams left at Managerial level) - work in Southampton area as Management Accountant for small company and am on a salary of £ 24.5k (Have 10 odd years experience in accounts) - does this sound reasonable? I was thinking of maybe finishing managerial level before looking elsewhere due to economic conditions, I am a homeowner so am worried about the risks.
  • Portsmouth_AAT
    Options
    crispy wrote: »
    Hello,

Sorry to interrupt, I am AAT qualified (MAAT) and P/Q CIMA (2 exams left at Managerial level) - work in Southampton area as Management Accountant for small company and am on a salary of £ 24.5k (Have 10 odd years experience in accounts) - does this sound reasonable? I was thinking of maybe finishing managerial level before looking elsewhere due to economic conditions, I am a homeowner so am worried about the risks.

Southampton is close to me, Sounds little low to me, again Id suggest Hays to see the salary scale thing (i should get commission on this lol) Iv been looking and seen one advertised recently on there for 26+ for management accounts in southampton
  • messedup89
    Options
    crispy wrote: »
    Hello,

Southampton is close to me, Sounds little low to me, again Id suggest Hays to see the salary scale thing (i should get commission on this lol) Iv been looking and seen one advertised recently on there for 26+ for management accounts in southampton

I actually think its not too bad as long as you're getting study support and a good payrise when you're fully qualified :thumbup:
  • crispy
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback.

Being fully qualified still feels like miles away, I started at AAT Foundation level and have lost count now of how many exams/tests I have taken :ohmy:
  • troy
    troy Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I started working for the NHS just over two years ago on 12.5k, i got my second promotion in June this year and now on 24.5k, I have only just passed my AAT. The only down side is they are not providing support for studying ACCA
  • Portsmouth_AAT
    Options
    I think the main thing with this is that it all depends on what part of the country you are in, It varies lots and some jobs seem good/high salary compared to other areas and vce versa!!

The main thing I wanted to find out was "if" people received increased after studying?
  • crispy
    Options
    This may not be very helpful, but have you ever considered if the NHS would sponsor you if you were studying either CIMA/CIPFA instead?

Studying for the chartered level can get expensive on your own, I have already taken two units by own study (Text books and a learning CD). My employers would help with payments for courses but are not willing to spend the £ 1,000+ amounts.
Privacy Policy