Knee Operation

I am due to go in for a Knee Op next Thursday and wondered if anyone else on here has had one and how long it took them to recover. I have only heard bad stories so far and am worrying myself sick already! They are going to shave two parts of the bone and take a look to see if anything else needs to be done.
«1

Comments

  • burg
    burg Moderator, FMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 1,441
    Sorry not had that operation.

    However I am also due a knee operation soon. A repair to my anterior cruciate ligament.

    I think mostly it is down to what you are prepared to put in to help the repair.

    Get in plenty of exercise and physio after the rest stage to rebuild any muscle wastage.

    Should all be fine.

    Best of luck.
    Regards,

    Burg
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234
    went in for one the other year and started with a little op just to remove a tiny bit of bone and then once they started they found more and more problems in side the cartlidge and from that they had to totally reconstruct my knee from scratch and then once that was done they found that the new implant that they had put in my body had rejected it and they had to start again and put a new injection piece into the joine of the kneecap and this was all in the first 3 weeks of the first op then once that had done and they hadreset the joint in place and they new joint had been accepted by my body.this entailed that after all the ops and the revisiting to the hospital the over all time line to actually getting back to work was 6 months. and still i have to go back and get regular injections to numb out the continual pain from the replacement joint rubbing against the bone of the kneecap. only kidding ive never had the op but im sure it sholdnt be too long before your back at work as long as you dont run marathons in work time?
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774
    mark130273 wrote: »
    went in for one the other year and started with a little op just to remove a tiny bit of bone and then once they started they found more and more problems in side the cartlidge and from that they had to totally reconstruct my knee from scratch and then once that was done they found that the new implant that they had put in my body had rejected it and they had to start again and put a new injection piece into the joine of the kneecap and this was all in the first 3 weeks of the first op then once that had done and they hadreset the joint in place and they new joint had been accepted by my body.this entailed that after all the ops and the revisiting to the hospital the over all time line to actually getting back to work was 6 months. and still i have to go back and get regular injections to numb out the continual pain from the replacement joint rubbing against the bone of the kneecap. only kidding ive never had the op but im sure it sholdnt be too long before your back at work as long as you dont run marathons in work time?

    OMG. I was believing you until I got to the rejection of the implant and then realised you are taking the p***! .....................It was funny though!
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234
    jewels.p wrote: »
    OMG. I was believing you until I got to the rejection of the implant and then realised you are taking the p***! .....................It was funny though!

    im glad you have seen the funny side of it ......

    im sure they do 1000000s of these each year and the % of ones that go wrong must be down below 1% ...

    i would not worry about it and if you are working in a sit down job im sure that oyu maybe will be off for about 2 weeks or so !
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970
    15 years ago i managed to snap my left patella in sports injury, and it took a year of pysio to get it right, however now am left later on a misshaped knee cap.

    Am due for an op been told it can be anything from shaving down the back of my knee cap to a full replacement. just had an injection to tide me over but having scan next month was hoping to put off op till after june but if injection anything to go off dont want many more, but mean going back ever 3 to 4 weeks for them.

    Plus it means upto 8 weeks off work that i cant afford as i will only receive SSP.

    Like you ive heard the horror stories but cant put off either.
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774
    burg wrote: »
    Sorry not had that operation.

    However I am also due a knee operation soon. A repair to my anterior cruciate ligament.

    I think mostly it is down to what you are prepared to put in to help the repair.

    Get in plenty of exercise and physio after the rest stage to rebuild any muscle wastage.

    Should all be fine.

    Best of luck.

    Thanks and good luck with yours!................God I am making it sound like you are away to sit an exam or something. lol
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234
    doesn ot sounds like accountancy is the way to go if you want your knees to last . seems like there are loads or people with knee and back problems from sitting at a desk all day !!! ??!!?!?
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774
    A-Vic wrote: »
    15 years ago i managed to snap my left patella in sports injury, and it took a year of pysio to get it right, however now am left later on a misshaped knee cap.

    Am due for an op been told it can be anything from shaving down the back of my knee cap to a full replacement. just had an injection to tide me over but having scan next month was hoping to put off op till after june but if injection anything to go off dont want many more, but mean going back ever 3 to 4 weeks for them.

    Plus it means upto 8 weeks off work that i cant afford as i will only receive SSP.

    Like you ive heard the horror stories but cant put off either.

    I have had problems for 20 years now and have been back and forth to the Doc had Xrays and Physio but nothing did any good. It was only this year that they did an MRI and decided to operate. Maybe if they'd done an MRI all those years ago it couldave been sorted a long time ago. It is unbelievable how many people I have spoken to that have had or are waiting on Knee Ops. Hope yours helps you.
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774
    mark130273 wrote: »
    doesn ot sounds like accountancy is the way to go if you want your knees to last . seems like there are loads or people with knee and back problems from sitting at a desk all day !!! ??!!?!?


    So true. I have been informing people that I talk to on the phone at work that I will be off and you wouldnt believe how many have had knee ops. Maybe we should all become Athletes and give up this desk work!
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970
    You too :) lemme know what it like
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234
    jewels.p wrote: »
    So true. I have been informing people that I talk to on the phone at work that I will be off and you wouldnt believe how many have had knee ops. Maybe we should all become Athletes and give up this desk work!

    yeh but why do a large % of athletes die young ???
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970
    We dont die just bits drop off lol knees for example
  • LeeS2009
    LeeS2009 Registered Posts: 1,515
    mark130273 wrote: »
    yeh but why do a large % of athletes die young ???

    sometimes i wonder where the hell you get your info mark?????
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234
    A-Vic wrote: »
    We dont die just bits drop off lol knees for example

    and if we end up wheel chair bound at least we are still useful unlike athletes....
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234
    LeeS2009 wrote: »
    sometimes i wonder where the hell you get your info mark?????

    your telling me that when you open the paper that a good percentage of the time you read about another athelte dying at 35 !! i have seen that loads .when was the last time you heard about the winner of the 1924 olympic games hammer is now 100 years old ?
  • LeeS2009
    LeeS2009 Registered Posts: 1,515
    mark130273 wrote: »
    your telling me that when you open the paper that a good percentage of the time you read about another athelte dying at 35 !! i have seen that loads .when was the last time you heard about the winner of the 1924 olympic games hammer is now 100 years old ?

    what about the 100's of non athletes who die everyday who you dont hear about you nutter
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234
    LeeS2009 wrote: »
    what about the 100's of non athletes who die everyday who you dont hear about you nutter

    you mean like the normal people that you might read about living to 100 plus who have been pencil pushers or drink a scotch every day !
  • Diannew
    Diannew Registered Posts: 2,814
    LeeS2009 wrote: »
    sometimes i wonder where the hell you get your info mark?????

    I do ! from speaking to you LOl
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774
    This is so funny so glad I started this post it is making me laugh!......................something I wont be doing this time next week!
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234
    Diannew wrote: »
    I do ! from speaking to you LOl

    hey if i could not speak to Lee then i think i would not !!!! hahahahaha
  • LeeS2009
    LeeS2009 Registered Posts: 1,515
    mark130273 wrote: »
    you mean like the normal people that you might read about living to 100 plus who have been pencil pushers or drink a scotch every day !

    dont be daft, what a plank
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970
    jewels.p wrote: »
    This is so funny so glad I started this post it is making me laugh!......................something I wont be doing this time next week!

    I bet you be fine and if not i think thank god your not an 100 year old sports person, with a tendency for scotch and pencils???

    Sometimes these forums do twist a little lol
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234
    LeeS2009 wrote: »
    dont be daft, what a plank

    thanks for that . im so glad we have had this intelligent and thoughtful discussion . it has brought a different prospective and a new lgiht on the once thought situation that i am always wrong.....but since youve been on here i have realised that its not me it is YOU !!

    hahahha
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234
    A-Vic wrote: »
    I bet you be fine and if not i think thank god your not an 100 year old sports person, with a tendency for scotch and pencils???

    hey i love chewing pencils !!!
  • Diannew
    Diannew Registered Posts: 2,814
    LeeS2009 wrote: »
    dont be daft, what a plank

    And what is wrong with a plank...very usefull things planks.......except the odd one LEE that has a screw loose !!!!!!!
  • LeeS2009
    LeeS2009 Registered Posts: 1,515
    mark130273 wrote: »
    hey i love chewing pencils !!!

    i can actually picture sitting down with your legs crossed chewing on pencils mark pmsl
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970
    Diannew wrote: »
    And what is wrong with a plank...very usefull things planks.......except the odd one LEE that has a screw loose !!!!!!!

    O Dear Dianne that was so bad it was funny :lol:
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970
    LeeS2009 wrote: »
    i can actually picture sitting down with your legs crossed chewing on pencils mark pmsl

    PMSL had to read that twice i thought it said you were chewing on marks pencil
  • LeeS2009
    LeeS2009 Registered Posts: 1,515
    Diannew wrote: »
    And what is wrong with a plank...very usefull things planks.......except the odd one LEE that has a screw loose !!!!!!!

    you have got to join in havent you....you just cant help it!!!! have to stick your oar in!!!

    anyway nothing wrong with my screws!
  • LeeS2009
    LeeS2009 Registered Posts: 1,515
    A-Vic wrote: »
    PMSL had to read that twice i thought it said you were chewing on marks pencil

    you have a sick mind my dear....you need help
Privacy Policy