DFS the survivors Guild

Options
A-Vic
A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
Well ive noticed a few posts about DFS and thought why not have a centered thread for people to post tips or questions
ยซ1

Comments

• Portsmouth_AAT
    Portsmouth_AAT Registered Posts: 96 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    Well ive noticed a few posts about DFS and thought why not have a centered thread for people to post tips or questions

I agree its such a tricky subject, as in a lot of people failed in June and will be doing re-sits and TBH it has worried me about it!!!!

All info/advice bt DFS welcome in my view!!
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Tell you what am struggling with at the momment is consolidated income statement (but fine on b/s)
  • Portsmouth_AAT
    Portsmouth_AAT Registered Posts: 96 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    Tell you what am struggling with at the momment is consolidated income statement (but fine on b/s)

Iv not really got into it yet, we are using the osbourne books and Im hlf way through the 2nd chapter!!! at college i think were on 4/5th chapter now but we dont really use the books at college!!!

I need to get into action now tho as 7 weeks today till exam!!!
  • A-Vic
    Options

I need to get into action now tho as 7 weeks today till exam!!!

Shhh your scaring me lol
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    i need to book mine yet

looks like it is only us 3 so the pass mark might be really low (wishful thinking)

Tracy
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I've booked my exam place but haven't done much studying yet, only 7 weeks!
  • taskey
    Options
    i haven't done much at all as i am trying to finish my unit 10. i looked at the book last night and amanged to read about shares and the income statement, so i suppose that is a start
  • jilt
    Options
    Unit 10, don't even go there!
  • sarahwilson
    sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    I got Steves book the other day and have been reading it every lunch time.
  • A-Vic
    Options
    i was going to but with having claires and the kaplin i dont wana end up with more books than brain cells lol
  • taskey
    Options
    i only have 1 book at present and that is double the amount of brain cells i have
  • jilt
    Options
    Maybe that's my problem, I have too many books :laugh:
  • Steve Collings
    Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    To be honest 7 weeks is not a long time to cover the DFS syllabus and to start the revision phase, which must include practising exam standard questions and past papers! As we all know from June 2009, DFS pass rate took a massive knock so if you've not started studying yet, you really need to get cracking now!!!

I know that will probably put the fear of god into you, but those who haven't yet got half way through the text books need that push!!

Those of you on my revision day in Manchester on 7th November will be looking at two past papers in a lot of detail so that should focus your minds.

Don't get bogged down with the accounting standards (those of you on my day in Manchester last month should remember my 'sub-conscious application' approach). However, make sure you do get a basic knowledge of the examinable ones because you will be asked to write about some standards (the impairment question in J09 threw a lot of students and was highlighted as 'unexpected' by various tutors) though it shouldn't have been if students had done what I advise and study the WHOLE syllabus.

Good luck over the next few weeks.

Steve
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Thanks Steve looking forward to manchester (btw could you send me the details for payment again)

We have almost covered a large majority in class of the sylibus however, not even touched standards or ratios yet - but i think this will be left for us to self learn and when we are doing exam practise
  • messedup89
    messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    7 weeks is enoguh time as long as you've done your tuition. Some people do better under pressure. 1 month tends to be good so far for me. Just work on past papers and do 2 sets of my own revisions notes -one relatively in depth (for main revision) and one must shorter, simpler version for the night before and morning of the exam
  • A-Vic
    Options
    7 weeks is enoguh time as long as you've done your tuition. Some people do better under pressure. 1 month tends to be good so far for me. Just work on past papers and do 2 sets of my own revisions notes -one relatively in depth (for main revision) and one must shorter, simpler version for the night before and morning of the exam

I wouldnt think 7 weeks is enough but as you said some people do work under pressure better.
  • Steve Collings
    Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Thanks Steve looking forward to manchester (btw could you send me the details for payment again)

We have almost covered a large majority in class of the sylibus however, not even touched standards or ratios yet - but i think this will be left for us to self learn and when we are doing exam practise

Hi,

I'll be sending joining instructions in the next couple of weeks.

Regards
    Steve
  • messedup89
    Options
    I wouldnt think 7 weeks is enough but as you said some people do work under pressure better.

i dont revise yet. Wait until my tuition is finishes (last week), then put my own revision notes together, then revise for a month (november-weekends only!) Too tired and lazy to revise after work
  • A-Vic
    Options
    i dont revise yet. Wait until my tuition is finishes (last week), then put my own revision notes together, then revise for a month (november-weekends only!) Too tired and lazy to revise after work

yeah simular study plan - ( o i miss social life :( )
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Hi,

I'll be sending joining instructions in the next couple of weeks.

Regards
    Steve

cheers
  • A-Vic
    Options
  • Jordanator
    Jordanator Registered Posts: 4 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    Practice, Practice, Practice - thats all I do when it comes to studying. Its worked so far. I've got a similar plan to Messedup89, I rewrite my own notes as revision then move on to exams in the last few weeks and do little else.

The worst thing people can do is get over stressed if it doesn't help them (Personally im a lucky one who likes pressure when revising). If you dont react well to stress when revising then take a step back and realise that you will get it sonner or later, if you put too much pressure on yourself it will take longer to sink in.

If you are looking at a question and thinking that you cant do it (Consolidated BS or IS) just remember that all the info you need is right in front of you - take a breath and go through each figure working out what you need to do with it on a workings sheet.

Your biggest weapon is your brain so make sure you revise in the conditions that most siut yours!!!!!
  • lilac_angel
    lilac_angel Registered Posts: 66 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I'm resiting my DFS exam in December and i'm really worried about remembering the IAS's has anyone got any good ways to remember them. or know which ones i really need to focus on???
  • A-Vic
    Options
    I dont know about anyone else but am going through i dont anything momment ive forgotten everything and getting fed up
  • koda
    koda Registered Posts: 52 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    Hi guys,

Does anyone have a list (or know where I can find one) of all the IFRS and IAS's that are assessable for DFS?

Thanks
  • A-Vic
    Options
    what text book are you using? i know kaplin have them at the back
  • messedup89
    Options
    we've been told there's 5 to learn for this sitting
  • mini_schnauzer
    mini_schnauzer Registered Posts: 347 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options