Job Title

Options
Yestin
Yestin Registered Posts: 83 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi Everyone,

I am applying for a few jobs at the moment, time to move on from the one I am in. The problem is I don't really have a job title at my current place of employment!! below are the things I do, any ideas on what I should put my title as on my CV?

Preparation of monthly management accounts
Preparation of monthly cash-flow
Weekly working capital reports
Purchase & Sales ledger management
VAT returns
EC Sales stats
Bank reconciliations
Credit card reconciliation

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Yestin wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I am applying for a few jobs at the moment, time to move on from the one I am in. The problem is I don't really have a job title at my current place of employment!! below are the things I do, any ideas on what I should put my title as on my CV?

Preparation of monthly management accounts
    Preparation of monthly cash-flow
    Weekly working capital reports
    Purchase & Sales ledger management
    VAT returns
    EC Sales stats
    Bank reconciliations
    Credit card reconciliation

Any help would be much appreciated.

with that its sounds like your an accounts assistant to me
  • Yestin
    Options
    Humm....what do you think about Assistant Accountant?
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Humm....what do you think about Assistant Accountant?

You said you didnt have a job title and i ment your job description sounds like your an accounts assistant
  • Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Some suggestions:

Accounts Assistant
    Assistant Management Accountant (especially if you're a CIMA student)
    Finance Officer

I am wary of Assistant Accountant, but I can never explain why.

What kind of things are you applying to and what are your professional plans: eg are you AAT member and ACCA student?
  • Yestin
    Options
    Hi Bookworm,

I like "Assistant Management Accountant (especially if you're a CIMA student)"

I am AAT qualified and studying for my first two CIMA papers....

I'm applying to everything, I think what I'm trying to do is get in with an agency and have them match me to what they think is appropriate...haven't done the whole job hunt thing for a while..
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Its like when i applied for a job at the firm am in 5 years ago it was for practise administrator and that was my official title and hasnt changed - but i do class myself as a accounts assitant now as i do:-

Accounts preparation
    vat
    Payroll
    Small amount bookeeping
    and on and on and on (sorry to long winded to include everything)
  • sarahwilson
    sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    God lucky you A-Vic, I'm called an accounts assistant but the nearest I get to finance is the petty cash tin!!
  • A-Vic
    Options
    God lucky you A-Vic, I'm called an accounts assistant but the nearest I get to finance is the petty cash tin!!

i used to like doing petty cash it felt like you were handling real money tho
  • Bookworm55
    Options
    My last two official job descriptions:

Data Migration Clerk
    International Supplier Reconciliation Clerk

They both sound utterly bizarre, but they're surprisingly apt descriptions of what the job entails.
    I am AAT qualified and studying for my first two CIMA papers....

Me too, but I won't be doing any exams until May 2010. I'll be doing E1 and E2 (the replacements for P4 and P5), how about you?
    I'm applying to everything, I think what I'm trying to do is get in with an agency and have them match me to what they think is appropriate...haven't done the whole job hunt thing for a while..

They're going to ask you what kind of thing you're looking for though. Admittedly duties and responsibilities are more important than titles. I'd pick a couple of agencies if I were you though. Also, myjobs.cimaglobal.com is a really good site to upload your CV to and apply through. I've had a lot of good leads from it, and even an interview next week.

Why are you looking to move, if I may ask?
  • Yestin
    Options
    I'm doing P1 and F1 for starters in May 2010....BIG text books!!!

I'm looking to leave because I have done everything I can here, this is a company with 50 staff and I would really like to move into the city working for a bigger company with more potential movement.

Thanks for the link, I was just about to ask if anyone knew any good sites, I'm using the totaljobs.com site at the moment! Good luck with your interview!!!
  • Yestin
    Options
    I just applied for about 10 jobs through that site.....SWEET!
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: »
    Its like when i applied for a job at the firm am in 5 years ago it was for practise administrator and that was my official title and hasnt changed - but i do class myself as a accounts assitant now as i do:-

Accounts preparation
    vat
    Payroll
    Small amount bookeeping
    and on and on and on (sorry to long winded to include everything)

I call myself a trainee accountant as I do all of the above (bar payroll) and some tax.
  • A-Vic
    Options
    I just applied for about 10 jobs through that site.....SWEET!

Great stuff lemme know how you get on :)
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    From the various roles you've described, I'd go for Management Accountant. IMO, it also depends on the size of the employers you work or want to work for: if they're large, possibly - though not necessarily - add 'Trainee' or 'Assistant' in front if there are more than one: if they're smaller single building companies, Management Accountant on it's own might cut it if it's just yourself. And funnily enough, I'm not comfortable with being called Assistant Accountant either even though that's my own job title!
  • Bookworm55
    Options
    From the various roles you've described, I'd go for Management Accountant. IMO, it also depends on the size of the employers you work or want to work for: if they're large, possibly - though not necessarily - add 'Trainee' or 'Assistant' in front

What I was thinking is that if you use a slightly more junior-sounding title for your current position, then it makes it easy to justify that you've outgrown the role and need to move on to something more challenging. I'm not sure that that actually makes sense though.
    Thanks for the link, I was just about to ask if anyone knew any good sites, I'm using the totaljobs.com site at the moment!

I've also had some success with Hays and, to a lesser extent, Reed and my local newspaper's own site. GAAPweb also seems popular, but I don't know much about it.
Privacy Policy