MAC exam. What do you think?

Options
Fiorellino
Fiorellino Registered Posts: 82 Regular contributor ⭐
I have just sat the MAC exam. It was ok... roll on three o'clock for anyone who want to compare the answers.

Comments

• Cyfarthfa
    Cyfarthfa Registered Posts: 62 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi There,

I've just sat MAC too, is it 3 o clock that we can discuss it?

I found the paper surprisingly ok, so much so I'm starting to worry big time that I missed some really obvious points!
  • DaveIOW
    DaveIOW Registered Posts: 85 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    likewise, and I was quite cautious about it, I only finished with 10 mins to spare. Id like to put it down to all the studying I did!

But...time to move on DFS on Wednesday, I hope it goes the same way!
  • Fiorellino
    Options
    Yes we have to wait until three o'clock to discuss the paper... well only 20 minutes to go
  • Fiorellino
    Options
    After studying index, all sort of budgets, life cycle etc ... there was any of this stuff. At the begin I got confused with the spices...
  • Tinkerbell007
    Tinkerbell007 Registered Posts: 64 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Yeah I got confused with that too, not seen anything like that on any of the pat papers from what I remember...
  • Fiorellino
    Options
    yes it wasn't too bad. What did you get on the flexed budget? I have got 5000 of profit I think
  • Shoe Fairy
    Shoe Fairy Registered Posts: 15 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    ....the flexed budget question threw me completely....
  • Fiorellino
    Options
    Shoe Fairy wrote: »

Why? for the variable cost calculation?
  • Tinkerbell007
    Options
    Me too!! Really wasn't expecting it and I think I made a bit of a hash of finding the variable parts of the costs!!
  • Shoe Fairy
    Shoe Fairy Registered Posts: 15 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    yep...how did you work out the fixed cost element of both labour and energy? i sooo messed that up!!!
  • Fiorellino
    Options
    yep...how did you work out the fixed cost element of both labour and energy? i sooo messed that up!!!

I used the hi-lo method
  • Cyfarthfa
    Options
    I think i got 500 profit as the actual was 5000 adverse and i can remember that the total variance was 5500 adverse.

It through me at first as i thought do i flex the fixed costs but then as there was 2 lots of volumes you couldn't.

I thought the last question was odd. Did it make any difference how much chicken people ate?? also did you get a utilisation of about 85%?? I put as a reccommendation to inclrease the tables avaiable so it would be less crowded?
  • Tinkerbell007
    Options
    I think I had 550 adverse too.

Didn't like those chicken/restaurant questions at all!! Yeah 85% sounds like what I put too
  • Tinkerbell007
    Options
    5500 adverse even!!!
  • Fiorellino
    Options
    Yes I got 85% for the utilisation and my reccommendation were to give some training to the staff, to increase the price per meal, and to add increase seats from 48 to 60
  • umerali2003
    umerali2003 Registered Posts: 400 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    i dont know if its only me or there were 2 many written question on both sections they were not tough but very lengthy .. and specially that chicken question all the information was given in the question i dont why they still wana know wat was difference between london hotel and average hotels
  • umerali2003
    Options
    i messed up da 1st figure on task 1.1 a and carried out that figure to part c . i hope so i will get penalised once if not 2 be then i messed up the whole task
  • Tinkerbell007
    Options
    The written questions took too much time I thought. I said to train the staff, increase the number of tables and change prices for that last question
  • umerali2003
    Options
    i have attempted the whole paper not missed a single task .. dats bit of a positive i can take from dis paper .. i think i will make it or may be not lolzz lets see finger crossed
  • carolyn
    carolyn Registered Posts: 28 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    reconciliation

My variance reconciliation was out, Who remembered the answer
    ?
  • Tinkerbell007
    Options
    I didn't miss anything out was just so pushed for time and was writing up unttil the very end!

What did you get for question 1.1?
  • Cyfarthfa
    Options
    those chicken thing's were stupid, did you do simply the cost of materials for the chicken divided by 4 to give the no. of chicken meals? and then the no. of chicken meals divided by total meals provided to get the %?

I did the exact same for the chocolate pudding. Was it this simply or did you have to incorporate the other meals?
  • Fiorellino
    Options
    I have got 210 for the first 2 weeks and 420 for week 3 and 4 if I remember right
  • umerali2003
    Options
    i made a silly mistake it should have been 30x7x1 for the 1st 2 months and 30x7x2 for the last 2 months but i dont know why da heck i took 150x1x30 for the 1st 2 months and 150x30x2 for the next 2 months and carried out till part c .. i hope so i get penalised once in part a for my mistake wat do u reckon ?
  • Cyfarthfa
    Options
    yeah 210 and 420 sounds right.

one bit i was unsure of was that with the raw material, with the closing stock it said 3 days of following months demand. Which I did based on the demand/7 * 3 as the restaurants were open 7 days. But i noticed that the production was run over 5 days so did they mean restaurant demand or production demand?
  • Cyfarthfa
    Options
    i made a silly mistake it should have been 30x7x1 for the 1st 2 months and 30x7x2 for the last 2 months but i dont know why da heck i took 150x1x30 for the 1st 2 months and 150x30x2 for the next 2 months and carried out till part c .. i hope so i get penalised once in part a for my mistake wat do u reckon ?

you should be fine, they should just penalise you the once for that, it just means the examiner will have to recalculate the rest on your figures
  • umerali2003
    Options
    Fiorellino wrote: »
    I have got 210 for the first 2 weeks and 420 for week 3 and 4 if I remember right

yea dats right but unfortunatley when i jumped into the train i realised it should have been like dat i wish if i have changed dat .. Gosh i am panicking now do u think its enough 2 give me a fail in section 1 i did other parts quite well
  • Arina
    Arina Registered Posts: 18 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Cyfarthfa wrote: »
    I think i got 500 profit as the actual was 5000 adverse and i can remember that the total variance was 5500 adverse.

It through me at first as i thought do i flex the fixed costs but then as there was 2 lots of volumes you couldn't.

I thought the last question was odd. Did it make any difference how much chicken people ate?? also did you get a utilisation of about 85%?? I put as a reccommendation to inclrease the tables avaiable so it would be less crowded?

I also have 500 profit for flex budget, and total 5500 adverse. And utilisation of 85%!
  • umerali2003
    Options
    you should be fine, they should just penalise you the once for that, it just means the examiner will have to recalculate the rest on your figures

yes but i made a terrible mess lot of tipex and crossing out .. just only in that question i have crossed out 2 times .. well i dont think so he will bother 2 look in to my mess he will simply put a big cross wat u think ?
  • Fiorellino
    Options
    yeah 210 and 420 sounds right.

one bit i was unsure of was that with the raw material, with the closing stock it said 3 days of following months demand. Which I did based on the demand/7 * 3 as the restaurants were open 7 days. But i noticed that the production was run over 5 days so did they mean restaurant demand or production demand?

I can remember what I did, but the figure was nice and round so I did not think too much
Privacy Policy