Destructions during exam

Options
LittleChinaDoll
LittleChinaDoll Registered Posts: 29 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi,
I found it really difficult to concentrate on my papers during my BTC and DFS sittings in London SAM.
This was due to the staff constantly walking in the room, like some kind of police. I understand that their duty is to watch, but there is a difference between descreet watching and being a nuisance.
Please write about your experiences.
Many thanks

Comments

• Ed1
    Ed1 Registered Posts: 51 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I was at SAM for BTC on Tuesday, the staff were good, very friendly and helpful, as they've always been when I've sat my AAT exams there.

It was a big room with many students, certain distractions are inevitable, but they certainly weren't overwhelming or overly hindering. The worst was another student next to me who kept on muttering to himself as he did the exam - the staff were models of quietness in comparison.
  • Ed1
    Options
    And the title of this thread did make me initially think there was some major demolition work going on nearby that I missed out on...
  • angie1
    angie1 Registered Posts: 29 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Ed1 wrote: »
    And the title of this thread did make me initially think there was some major demolition work going on nearby that I missed out on...
    Lol, thats what I thought, either that or students heads were exploding! Sometimes I think mine will in the exams.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    No distractions this time well we had a tapper but they stopped almost right away
  • LittleChinaDoll
    LittleChinaDoll Registered Posts: 29 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Apologies everyone.
    Meant Distractions.
    Many Thanks
  • Ed1
    Options
    Apologies everyone.
    Meant Distractions.
    Many Thanks
    No need to apologise, I knew what you meant.

How badly distracted by the staff were you then? Whereabouts were you sitting?

I genuinely haven't had any problems at SAM, but I guess if your seat is right next to a 'corridor of activity' then it could be very annoying.

How did you find the exam in anyway?
  • angie1
    angie1 Registered Posts: 29 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Apologies everyone.
    Meant Distractions.
    Many Thanks
    Dont apologise, gave me a giggle, just what i could do with after two exams this week, cheers.
  • lisnic
    lisnic Registered Posts: 141 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    in btc yesterday my tummy was grumbling and yesterday and today my baby was kicking me! nothing to do with location or staff though!!
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    there was a guy in front of me whose mobile went on and he just turned it off and placed it on the desk ...no invigilators came close whatsover...
  • mark057
    mark057 Registered Posts: 354 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I sat my PEV exam in December 2007.

There was a heavily pregnant lady sitting in front of me during the exam and about 20 mins into it she started to suffer from back pains.

The exam was not going well for me at that stage and I thought it would just be my luck if she went into labour right in front of me.

Looking back though I can really see the funny side of it. Fortunately the lady in question was fine and she completed the exam.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Marga wrote: »
    there was a guy in front of me whose mobile went on and he just turned it off and placed it on the desk ...no invigilators came close whatsover...

What you failed to see was him also placing his loaded Colt 45 on the desk next to his phone.

There have some on these forums who in not too distant past would have demanded castration of the offender with the invigilators banished to Guantanamo Bay while angling for assisted exam passes from the AAT, all for the sheer stress of having a mobile ring for a few seconds.
  • mark057
    mark057 Registered Posts: 354 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I think mobiles should just be switched off before going into the exam.

Who honestly needs a mobile switched on in an exam?
  • donnaalwill
    donnaalwill Registered Posts: 116 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I sit my exams at Kaplan Birmingham and we have to leave everything except essentials - pens, pencils, calculator etc in the waiting room and collect them after the exam. They are very strict about phones, today the invigilator asked if we had phones a few times before letting anyone start... do they allow people to take their phones into other exam rooms??
  • messedup89
    messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    we take our phones in but they have to be switched off. All other personal belongings have to be put at the front near the invigilators
  • Marga
    Options
    blobbyh wrote: »
    What you failed to see was him also placing his loaded Colt 45 on the desk next to his phone.

There have some on these forums who in not too distant past would have demanded castration of the offender with the invigilators banished to Guantanamo Bay while angling for assisted exam passes from the AAT, all for the sheer stress of having a mobile ring for a few seconds.

it didnt bother me at all....
  • blobbyh
    Options
    I used to get quite p155ed off when I was studying at college and a couple of the mums seemed to be constantly answering their phones in class. As a dad myself, I can understand that if it was a genuine emergency fair enough but some people's ideas of what constitutes an emergency are clearly different to others. Baby's fallen down the stairs yes, baby's dropped his dummy downtown and won't stop crying, no.
  • A-Vic
    Options
    even if we had our phones switched off in our bags we had to put them in a little bag on the table and they were collected we were allowed them back after the exam
  • Bugsy
    Bugsy Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I sat my exam at "Chapter House" in london bridge... and it was quite literally next to a demolishen site! and through out the WHOLE exam you could hear the builders on the next door site shouting to each other.. Drilling.... and crashing! I may not know anything about Ratio Annalysis, but i can assure you i now know all about how to build house lol!!
  • Ed1
    Options
    I was at London SAM again today for PTC and I'm almost getting fond of the place.

A big thank you to the person who oversees these AAT exmas there. I don't know his name, but he travels from East London and was there ridiculously early this cold winter morning to open up, which allowed me to get a valuable final 2hrs of cramming done in a warm room.

Apparently he'd appreciate a coffee next time!
  • umerali2003
    umerali2003 Registered Posts: 400 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    HIS name is raj kumar ... director of studies for AAT in London sam ... he was my tutor as well .. no doubt he is a nice person and a fabulous teacher
  • Ed1
    Options
    HIS name is raj kumar ... director of studies for AAT in London sam ... he was my tutor as well .. no doubt he is a nice person and a fabulous teacher
    White guy with glasses and spikey hair, who does the little speeches before each exam?

Not that you can always tell these things by name alone, but he doesn't look like a Raj Kumar!
  • Lou1234
    Lou1234 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I love how that guy (^^^^) at London SAM tries to relax you before the exam by telling you all to smile and stuff like that! He does actually make the room feel less tense when he starts telling you stories!
  • Marga
    Options
    Lou1234 wrote: »
    I love how that guy (^^^^) at London SAM tries to relax you before the exam by telling you all to smile and stuff like that! He does actually make the room feel less tense when he starts telling you stories!

yeah that was so cool when he said smile is not that bad ....
  • umerali2003
    Options
    Ed1 wrote: »
    White guy with glasses and spikey hair, who does the little speeches before each exam?

Not that you can always tell these things by name alone, but he doesn't look like a Raj Kumar!

i know he dont ... but thats his name
  • GemmaLouise
    GemmaLouise Registered Posts: 56 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    We had a fire alarm test go off in our PTC - very distracting to say the least!
  • Criggers
    Criggers Registered Posts: 53 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    The worst distractions are other people. I sat my PEV last week with only 6 of us in the room (plus one invidulator). About 1hr45 in and a lady to my left started coughing and she would not stop at all. The same exam a chaps phone went off just 5 mins in, he sat there staring at his bag at the front before the invidulator asked "is someones phone going off?". He replied "yes it's mine" rather shamefully before jumping up to turn it off. It's not like we had been reminded 5 times before the exam to "TURN OFF YOUR PHONES". I usually take the battery out as well in case i set an alarm or something that i forgot about seeing as phones seem to turn themselves on nowadays for alarms and reminders.
    Two days later, I sat DFS in a room with more like 70 people in it, only one coughing fit from 70. And luckily she wasn't sat so close to me that time!
  • blobbyh
    Options
    How on earth has the human race manage to survive for so long without mobile phones, baby monitors, computers, the health and safety police etc?!
  • A-Vic
    Options
    blobbyh wrote: »
    How on earth has the human race manage to survive for so long without mobile phones, baby monitors, computers, the health and safety police etc?!

they didnt robert lower death rate wasnt it back in the stoneage lolol
  • AimlessYak
    AimlessYak Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I re-sat my DFS at a local college last week, with just one other candidate.

I thought the paper itself was relatively straightforward, but the level of distractions had a definite impact on my ability to concentrate.

I always tend to be working on my paper up until the last half hour or so, but with the distractions and noise coming both from the corridor outside AND the classroom next door my train of thought was interrupted more than on the odd occasion, and I felt that I had run short of time. To be clear. There was a LOT of noise!

I left the exam at the end of the alloted time feeling disappointed with my paper, as I know that I had studied hard and knew the processes and IAS standards well, I just struggled to 'hear myself think' at times if that makes any sense?

Does anybody have any advice for me?
  • umerali2003
    Options
    well if its an odd oooh and aah in 3hrs and 15 mintues time thats tolerable .. but as you have just mentioned that was clearly a loud noise .. then you should have spoken to the person invigilating the exam there ...if you have mentioned it and the noise was still there then you got every right in the world to complain to AAT . My personal advice is to write an email to AAT and mention it in clear words that your exam was badly affected by the distractions and continouse noise in the exam centre .. i hope so they will consider that while marking your exam .... as you were only 2 candidates and if the other person got the same feeling then you both have a strong POINT
Privacy Policy