Destructions during exam

Options
2»

Comments

• kevinb
    kevinb Registered Posts: 8 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    AimlessYak wrote: »
    I just struggled to 'hear myself think' at times if that makes any sense?

Does anybody have any advice for me?

I have some advice:

Have some children and get a job in an engineering company where your office is next to the workshop.

My study and revision has been either with general children noise in the background or grinding and hammering.

The relative peace and quiet of the exam room was sheer bliss!!
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Afternoon,

Robert how the devil are you me old pal?

This brings back fond memories of the posts a couple of years ago from the guy who complained that he should have his paper remarked because the question paper said "see formulas on page 14" and the formulas were on page 16, which he didnt think to look on :-)

And obviously the all time classic - how many grams in a kilogram post :-)

Paul
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    i hope i didnt disturb too much the woman sitting close by when i entered my unit 30 exam

me and my friend were stuck in traffic and arrived 30m late to the exam ...we were out of breath and i thought i was going to pass out as we hadnt even eaten anything that day ....

one of the invigilators told me that i had to write quicker as i wouldnt have any more time so between me breathing heavily and passing the paper sheets quickly i dont know how no one told me to shuss
  • lilac_angel
    lilac_angel Registered Posts: 66 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Marga wrote: »
    i hope i didnt disturb too much the woman sitting close by when i entered my unit 30 exam

me and my friend were stuck in traffic and arrived 30m late to the exam ...we were out of breath and i thought i was going to pass out as we hadnt even eaten anything that day ....

one of the invigilators told me that i had to write quicker as i wouldnt have any more time so between me breathing heavily and passing the paper sheets quickly i dont know how no one told me to shuss
    Was this on the Monday 30th November when the Blackwall Tunnell was shut? Loads of people came late to our PEV exam about 20 i think. people were still arriving at 11.30am and the exam started at 9.30. The invidulators wrote there name on the board as they came in and what time so that they could still have full time due to the traffic.
  • AimlessYak
    AimlessYak Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    kevinb wrote: »
    I have some advice:

Have some children and get a job in an engineering company where your office is next to the workshop.

My study and revision has been either with general children noise in the background or grinding and hammering.

The relative peace and quiet of the exam room was sheer bliss!!

Nice.

I asked for some advice regarding what level of noise it is reasonable to accept at an exam venue. If the venue has not done all that was expected and reasonable to reduce noise levels, such as notices outside saying 'quiet please' and generally insisting that the students didn't continue to sing in the corridors, oh and of course then there was the bawling of the lecturer next door who for the last hour or so had to keep reminding her students where they were by shouting "It's getting FAR TOO LOUD IN HERE!!"

So let me get this right. Just because you've had to study in difficult circumstances, I should therefore put up and shut up and not make the AAT aware that the college could make some adjustments and make better arrangements for future students sitting exams?

I think not Kevin.
  • AimlessYak
    Options
    well if its an odd oooh and aah in 3hrs and 15 mintues time thats tolerable .. but as you have just mentioned that was clearly a loud noise .. then you should have spoken to the person invigilating the exam there ...if you have mentioned it and the noise was still there then you got every right in the world to complain to AAT . My personal advice is to write an email to AAT and mention it in clear words that your exam was badly affected by the distractions and continouse noise in the exam centre .. i hope so they will consider that while marking your exam .... as you were only 2 candidates and if the other person got the same feeling then you both have a strong POINT

Hi Umerali2003,

Thank you for taking the time to post.

I have considered the noise levels carefully and compared that to what I think it would be fair to reasonably expect and I think that more definitely could have been done. (see my reply to Kevin). I have no doubt that the invigilator will agree that there were constant and unreasonable levels of noise for an exam situation.

I will forward my comments to the AAT and let them decide what they consider to be reasonable or not.

The effect on my marks is neither here or there. I studied extremely hard for this one re-sit. Chances are I did enough to prove competence, but who knows? I just felt I could've done better without the distractions.When you've worked hard you just want to show your best don't you?

If I fail, then so be it. That's life.

Next time I'll get some feedback on the exam venue beforehand or maybe take in some earplugs just in case.
  • kevinb
    kevinb Registered Posts: 8 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    AimlessYak wrote: »

So let me get this right. Just because you've had to study in difficult circumstances, I should therefore put up and shut up and not make the AAT aware that the college could make some adjustments and make better arrangements for future students sitting exams?

I think not Kevin.

No I don't think so either. My comment was meant to be jovial. Had you said that you'd struggled with the exam and not that you'd found it relatively straightforward, a jovial comment wouldn't have been appropriate and I wouldn't have posted it.

Sorry if I caused any offence :(

I'll get my coat....
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Was this on the Monday 30th November when the Blackwall Tunnell was shut? Loads of people came late to our PEV exam about 20 i think. people were still arriving at 11.30am and the exam started at 9.30. The invidulators wrote there name on the board as they came in and what time so that they could still have full time due to the traffic.

actually it was tuesday 1st december in London....

we tried calling the AAT and they said to contact the centre to let them know that we were running late...

The supervisor of the invigilators was very gentle with us cause she was really concerned about our health , not breathing properly and saying that it was better to fail and exam than to have a fail heart ....lol that wasnt that nice now that i type!
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Paul24 wrote: »
    Afternoon,

Robert how the devil are you me old pal?

This brings back fond memories of the posts a couple of years ago from the guy who complained that he should have his paper remarked because the question paper said "see formulas on page 14" and the formulas were on page 16, which he didnt think to look on :-)

And obviously the all time classic - how many grams in a kilogram post :-)

Paul

Howdy me old Brummie mate,

Can't remember the formula one but many still fondly remember the classic 'grams in a kilogram' thread and it's occasionally referred back to even now. Gonna have to make it my mission sometime soon to delve into the closed forum and see if I can find it, some of those old threads were legendary!

Have you seen the link to Toadface's libellous Facebook post?

Psycho idiot...
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    No I havent, that name takes me back though!
  • tjc
    tjc Registered Posts: 10 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hi,
    I found it really difficult to concentrate on my papers during my BTC and DFS sittings in London SAM.
    This was due to the staff constantly walking in the room, like some kind of police. I understand that their duty is to watch, but there is a difference between descreet watching and being a nuisance.
    Please write about your experiences.
    Many thanks

I took an exam at London Sam on November 30th, i also found that the staff constantly walked in and out the room, one girl asked to move to the back as she was sitting next to the door and she couldn't concentrate but they said give it 5 mins and it should calm down but it didn't. I found it very distracting and will not be taking another exam there again.
  • AimlessYak
    Options
    tjc wrote: »
    I took an exam at London Sam on November 30th, i also found that the staff constantly walked in and out the room, one girl asked to move to the back as she was sitting next to the door and she couldn't concentrate but they said give it 5 mins and it should calm down but it didn't. I found it very distracting and will not be taking another exam there again.

I would just like to say to anyone who feels that they have any concerns about any exam venues to voice them . . . please! Let the AAT know.

I emailed the AAT a detailed account of my experience back in December, and felt much the better for doing so.

As long as your concerns are fair and measured then it can only prove beneficial for future candidates.
Privacy Policy