back to studying

Options
Primble
Primble Registered Posts: 734 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
right, i need motivation.

i took three exams in june and failed them all i then got married and studying took a back seat. i ned to try to resit the exams in june but im useless at studying by myself as i dont understand it. does anyone know of any tutors or good websites to help?
ยซ1

Comments

• steveJ
    steveJ Registered Posts: 694 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Hey Primble,

This site is great for any help, motivation or advice. Take some time out in the chatroom and even ask some questions in the sub-forums.

Sorry to hear about the three non-passes that you got in June, but get back up there. What are you studying by the way ?

Remember keep your GOAL in mind.
  • alexmitchell
    alexmitchell Registered Posts: 58 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    I agree with steveJ,

The forum is excellent for getting help. Not just posting new topics and hoping someone will fill you in but also doing searches to find past posts where people have had the same difficulties and people have already given solutions.

Also I find google really good. Sometimes my kaplan book doesnt do the best job at explaining stuff so i ssearch google to find if theres an article somewhere that puts a topic across in an easier way to understand.

Also if you dont know what a word means like say 'apportionment', if you type into google "define: apportionment" it will tell you what it means. Quite often use this

Also general pointers like have a quiet place to study away from tv, music etc. sometimes good to shutdown your pc and discipline yourself to do like 30 mins as quite often i find i do 5 mins then just started browsing the net again! not good

Also use flash cards, different coloured pens, highlights, write in CAPITOLS if theres an important point in your notes to remember etc. Use post-it notes in your study book, draw up pictures/diagrams/flow charts if you cant understand something by just reading it.

Sorry if ive blabbered a bit

hope it helps!
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I agree with steveJ,

The forum is excellent for getting help. Not just posting new topics and hoping someone will fill you in but also doing searches to find past posts where people have had the same difficulties and people have already given solutions.

Also I find google really good. Sometimes my kaplan book doesnt do the best job at explaining stuff so i ssearch google to find if theres an article somewhere that puts a topic across in an easier way to understand.

Also if you dont know what a word means like say 'apportionment', if you type into google "define: apportionment" it will tell you what it means. Quite often use this

Also general pointers like have a quiet place to study away from tv, music etc. sometimes good to shutdown your pc and discipline yourself to do like 30 mins as quite often i find i do 5 mins then just started browsing the net again! not good

Also use flash cards, different coloured pens, highlights, write in CAPITOLS if theres an important point in your notes to remember etc. Use post-it notes in your study book, draw up pictures/diagrams/flow charts if you cant understand something by just reading it.

Sorry if ive blabbered a bit

hope it helps!

Great tips there will use a few myself :)
  • JayneHogan
    JayneHogan Registered Posts: 697 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Yes me too. I sat DFS Dec 09 and definitely failed. I am resitting in June 10 and got my books out last night. Cash flows will baffle me to the end of my days if I don't get past this and don't get me started on the standards. The rest of the paper was O.K. but I need to get hold of an up to date text book, exam papers and practice, practice, practice.

I also want to do BTC but this may have to take a back seat as I want to do a Sage level 2 course to improve my career opportunites.

Waking up tired this morning after studying late brought back all the tears and frustrations which I want to avoid this time.

I might just do myself a study timetable this afternoon.
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Yes me too. I sat DFS Dec 09 and definitely failed. I am resitting in June 10 and got my books out last night. Cash flows will baffle me to the end of my days if I don't get past this and don't get me started on the standards. The rest of the paper was O.K. but I need to get hold of an up to date text book, exam papers and practice, practice, practice.

I also want to do BTC but this may have to take a back seat as I want to do a Sage level 2 course to improve my career opportunites.

Waking up tired this morning after studying late brought back all the tears and frustrations which I want to avoid this time.

I might just do myself a study timetable this afternoon.

i pulled my hair out over cashflows but it is one of them one that you will go omg thats so simple dont get hung up on standards (Tell her steve) learn your ratios tho big time i have a white board at home with them all written down
  • steveJ
    Options
    Sometimes even a couple of days away from studying really helps me. A few days to clear my head and sometimes it gives me a fresh look on a subject.

Like Jayne said, that she might be doing a sage course, sometimes something like that, accounting related or C.V improving, aside from your studying will give you a breath of fresh air instead of banging your head against a brick wall with the same problem.

Im looking into doing a computer course (ECDL) , which will improve my C.V and will run alongside my studying just to give me that break of subjects.

evilaleksander tips: I use the post it notes, highlighters and notemaking in my books. Google is the least thing that i use, but will have a go now that you mentioned it. LoL.
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Off-topic but I tried ECDL a few years ago and found it so mind-numbingly basic that I didn't bother finishing. Maybe it looks good on a CV but I'm sure most people on here have much better IT skills than ECDL demonstrates.
  • A-Vic
    Options
    CJC wrote: ยป
    Off-topic but I tried ECDL a few years ago and found it so mind-numbingly basic that I didn't bother finishing. Maybe it looks good on a CV but I'm sure most people on here have much better IT skills than ECDL demonstrates.

I did the IBT2 about 8 years ago trust me CJC is totally correct after doing this you will get bored to tears for its simplicity
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    I did the IBT2 about 8 years ago trust me CJC is totally correct after doing this you will get bored to tears for its simplicity

i am quite pleased that i have never taken the ECDL because i was always worried if i would be paying for a course that will be a step backwards and be borign crappless jsut to get it on my cv. I am ownderign if there is anywhere that you can just take the final exam for next to nothing ,so i can put it on my cv ?
  • A-Vic
    Options
    i am quite pleased that i have never taken the ECDL because i was always worried if i would be paying for a course that will be a step backwards and be borign crappless jsut to get it on my cv. I am ownderign if there is anywhere that you can just take the final exam for next to nothing ,so i can put it on my cv ?

you can do the typing and office skills day courses but trust me mark if already work in an office unless asked by your boss and you have zero computer knowlegde give it a miss
  • mark130273
    Options
    you can do the typing and office skills day courses but trust me mark if already work in an office unless asked by your boss and you have zero computer knowlegde give it a miss

i am very good on the good old typing and office microsoft works stuff. so dont you think its worth going for then to put on the cv ?
  • steveJ
    Options
    Anyone got any good ideas of any other course that i could to run alongside my studying ?
    Im looking to boost my C.V and obviously pick up some new skills along the way.
    Any ideas?
  • A-Vic
    Options
    steveJ wrote: ยป
    Anyone got any good ideas of any other course that i could to run alongside my studying ?
    Im looking to boost my C.V and obviously pick up some new skills along the way.
    Any ideas?

Have you thought of learning a second language ?
  • JayneHogan
    Options
    if you work in accounts then apart from intermediate MS Office I would say the most important system to know is Excel. I don't know whereabouts in the country you live but City University in London have an excellent business department and do lots of MS Excel courses aimed at people working in business already using MS Excel. A lot of universities do part time adult evening courses where, for a fee, you can get taught by a computer lecturer at the university how do use anything from Excel to C++ and there is often the opportunity to get a certificate at the end which you can show to employers. Much better than the ECDL which is really aimed at the 50+ generation who were not introduced to computers at school and need to know everything such as how to switch the machine on.....................all very useful if you have had little or no formal education in I.T. Otherwise the certificate might as well hang in your bathroom!!!
  • steveJ
    Options
    Have you thought of learning a second language ?

I was thinking that A-Vic. Ive always wanted to learn Japanese for some reason. Ive heard that rosettastone is meant to be good. Anyone ever tried it ?

I think i will look into an excel course as im always using it now....
  • mark130273
    Options
    if you work in accounts then apart from intermediate MS Office I would say the most important system to know is Excel. I don't know whereabouts in the country you live but City University in London have an excellent business department and do lots of MS Excel courses aimed at people working in business already using MS Excel. A lot of universities do part time adult evening courses where, for a fee, you can get taught by a computer lecturer at the university how do use anything from Excel to C++ and there is often the opportunity to get a certificate at the end which you can show to employers. Much better than the ECDL which is really aimed at the 50+ generation who were not introduced to computers at school and need to know everything such as how to switch the machine on.....................all very useful if you have had little or no formal education in I.T. Otherwise the certificate might as well hang in your bathroom!!!

i am very good on excel got lots of experience and can do look ups, mailshot merging and all the different types of charts.

as for expanding on the cv.. a good second language could give you a very good advantage in getting a job .
  • mark130273
    Options
    steveJ wrote: ยป
    I was thinking that A-Vic. Ive always wanted to learn Japanese for some reason. Ive heard that rosettastone is meant to be good. Anyone ever tried it ?

I think i will look into an excel course as im always using it now....

seen the adveets for them and wondered if they where that easy to learn .

i tihnk that the only other language that i would like to learn would be italian .

italian accountant sounds like it would be a well paid one !
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Ive always wanted to learn sign language as well as korean but with work load and college its a definate no
  • steveJ
    Options
    Alot of people say that if you have a long journey to work use your car as a mobile library!! Even if you goto the gym, put it on ya i-pod.
    Are there any good business qulaifications that i could go for ?
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    i am very good on the good old typing and office microsoft works stuff. so dont you think its worth going for then to put on the cv ?

I agree with A-Vic dont waste your time doing the ECDL. I am responsible for taking on new staff at my work and a lot of people I get Application Forms from, have done ECDL as they havent worked for years and as far as I am concerned it is a course for someone who cant even switch a computer on. Yes they show you how to do that!

You are obviously an intelligent man to have done your AAT and you are on here often enough so you know how to use a Computer and my advice to anyone is if you know the basics of Computing i.e how to switch it on and what a Mouse is, look into doing something that would be more worthwhile.

Anyone who has done the ECDL and is upset by what I have said I didnt mean to offend you.
  • A-Vic
    Options
    A-Level in business and IT
  • JayneHogan
    Options
    I have got a new temp job and an interview for a permanent job! I am stressed, tired nervous and happy!!!
  • A-Vic
    Options
    I have got a new temp job and an interview for a permanent job! I am stressed, tired nervous and happy!!!

Welcome to finance its all down hill from here lol
  • JayneHogan
    Options
    Sorry, what do you mean?
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Stressed Tired and nervous sound like a job in finance especially this time of year.

Opps missed welcome bit last post :lol: duh me
  • alexmitchell
    alexmitchell Registered Posts: 58 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    Great tips there will use a few myself :)

I feel honoured A-vic! Muchos gracias!
  • JayneHogan
    Options
    Need to prepare for interview but will probably sleep first.
  • mark130273
    Options
    Need to prepare for interview but will probably sleep first.

sleep could be very important for an interview because i dont think it would go great if you fell asleep during the interview >
  • steveJ
    Options
    Yep, I agree with Mark. A good nights sleep is a must before an interview. Get some questions ready to ask !!
    Good Luck
  • JayneHogan
    Options
    The attempt at sleeping went very, very badly.
Privacy Policy