oh no ...didnt sleep well hey !!!!
  • JayneHogan
    JayneHogan Registered Posts: 697 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Lie in tomorrow though!
  • Primble
    Primble Registered Posts: 734 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    thanks for all the advice guys. am going to try and crack on over the weekend.

german is a good language to learn. i may refrsh my memory of that as we have german suppliers.

am getting a bigger work load now but hopefully it wont interrupt my studying too much
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Primble wrote: »
    german is a good language to learn. i may refrsh my memory of that as we have german suppliers.

I'm doing a German course at the moment at the local college, should have had a class yesterday but it was snowed off. The BBC has some good resources for learning German that you mght want to have a look at - http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/german/
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    german is a great language to learn. i use it as much as i possibly can over here, very confident in conversation too. the only drawback is that the germans want to practise their english. quite often i go shopping and the counter staff talk back to me in english, so you have to be determined and carry on talking german and then they switch back to german. there are many brits over here who don't even bother to learn anything other than how to order chips and beer.
  • steveJ
    steveJ Registered Posts: 694 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Taskey...

It doesnt really matter but just wondering...How long studying/learning did it take for you to get to the standard of holding a conversation in German ?

I just wanted to know the magnitude of what i was taking on !!!

Cheers

(Plus whatever i learn it'll help for the Munich beer festival in September ;) )
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    steve, it is all about confidence. When my two girls went to german schools, basically i had not choice but to speak german, but before then i was fairly confident.

it really is not that hard to learn, you have to get over the fact that everything is male or female (der, die, das) but if you ask a german why this is, they just say, cos it is!! they will not correct you if you are wrong in using the correct tense.

Once the beer starts flowing and the 'angst' disappears, the conversations do start to flow.

I was born in germany as my dad was in the army, and the only time i learned german was in the pubs when i was 16. i never did german in school, i did french (go figure).

you can always go online to the german newspapers and get familiar with the words.

http://www.nw-news.de/ is my local newspaper

My motto, not a new language, just a new word to learn. i tend not to translate everything back to english, i just learn a new word.

Hope that helps

Tracy
  • steveJ
    steveJ Registered Posts: 694 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    taskey wrote: »
    steve, it is all about confidence. When my two girls went to german schools, basically i had not choice but to speak german, but before then i was fairly confident.

it really is not that hard to learn, you have to get over the fact that everything is male or female (der, die, das) but if you ask a german why this is, they just say, cos it is!! they will not correct you if you are wrong in using the correct tense.

Once the beer starts flowing and the 'angst' disappears, the conversations do start to flow.

I was born in germany as my dad was in the army, and the only time i learned german was in the pubs when i was 16. i never did german in school, i did french (go figure).

you can always go online to the german newspapers and get familiar with the words.

http://www.nw-news.de/ is my local newspaper

My motto, not a new language, just a new word to learn. i tend not to translate everything back to english, i just learn a new word.

Hope that helps

Tracy

Yeah that really does help trace. A new word to learn is a new way of looking at it. Im thinking of it as this massive task, but i suppose if i take it gradually and understand properly as i go i will get the hang of it.

Ive heard that surrounding yourself with the language such as music and films can really help so will give that a go when i get a chance.
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Should be going for my German class this evening but it's cold and peeing down with rain and I don't really fancy the drive so I might give it a miss.
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    anyone wanting to learn spanish can practice with me :)

i do want to do another course something to do with export/import as i do speak both spanish and english and eventually i want to move back to barcelona (bringing the husband and the cats also LOL)

i have learnt plenty of excel and word while on my current job
Privacy Policy