What are you reading at the moment ??

Options
Sweetpotato Chips
Sweetpotato Chips Registered Posts: 173 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
I can't decide whether to start reading Frankie Boyle " My **** life so far" or Audrey Niffengher "Her fearful symmetry" whats everyone else reading apart from their Osbourne books of course LOL
Β«1

Comments

• jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I have recently started "A Child called It" as it was highly recommended on the What Films make you cry thread. It is a really disturbing story and I am finding it quite difficult to read as it is a true story and thats what makes it more upsetting.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I can't decide whether to start reading Frankie Boyle " My **** life so far" or Audrey Niffengher "Her fearful symmetry" whats everyone else reading apart from their Osbourne books of course LOL

BPP and Kaplin
  • Sweetpotato Chips
    Options
    jewels.p wrote: Β»
    I have recently started "A Child called It" as it was highly recommended on the What Films make you cry thread. It is a really disturbing story and I am finding it quite difficult to read as it is a true story and thats what makes it more upsetting.
    I have heard about this, I don't think i could read it. I did read a weepy quiet recently called Lovely Bones its coming out in the cinema soon that was excellent
  • Sweetpotato Chips
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: Β»
    BPP and Kaplin
    No thats just tooo depressing there is more to life than accounting !!
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    i have recently read twilight which was fab and now about to start robbie williams 'feel (oh how i wish i was about to start feeling robbie williams :) )
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    "A Child called It" ... it is a true story and thats what makes it more upsetting.

The first one may have been based on truth but no doubt it's many imitators that followed were about as real as Family Guy.

I'm obviously reading this thread.
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Thinking I really need to get a handle on cloud computing so I'm working though Programming Google App Engine (yes I really am a nerd) and for light relief I've Roberto Calasso's wonderfully profound and poetic re-telling of/meditations on Classical Greek myth The Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony.
  • Sweetpotato Chips
    Options
    CJC wrote: Β»
    Thinking I really need to get a handle on cloud computing so I'm working though Programming Google App Engine (yes I really am a nerd) and for light relief I've Roberto Calasso's wonderfully profound and poetic re-telling of/meditations on Classical Greek myth The Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony.
    Whoa far to high brow for this chick !! I can just about manage a 300 page horror story for light entertainment lol...I am sure I am missing out alot with this attitude though !!
  • Sweetpotato Chips
    Options
    blobbyh wrote: Β»
    The first one may have been based on truth but no doubt it's many imitators that followed were about as real as Family Guy.

I'm obviously reading this thread.
    Well I suppose reading this thread kinda counts but I was more looking for books to broaden my horizons to be honest LOL
  • A-Vic
    Options
    No thats just tooo depressing there is more to life than accounting !!

Well when i do get my life back i have an ann rule book called if you really loved me book to read
  • Sweetpotato Chips
    Options
    Well when i do get my life back i have an ann rule book called if you really loved me book to read
    What genre is it ?? I am definantley sci fi and horror girl but spread my wings occasionally
  • A-Vic
    Options
    its an crime thriller she has done a few makes good reading as written well

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/r/ann-rule/if-you-really-loved-me.htm
  • Sweetpotato Chips
    Options
    its an crime thriller she has done a few makes good reading as written well

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/r/ann-rule/if-you-really-loved-me.htm
    Sounds interesting, I have read a few Ian Rankin Rebus novels and have just started listening to James Pattersons Alex Cross on the long journey into work both crime thriller types I guess..
  • A-Vic
    Options
    i like patterson too but love stephen king
  • CJC
    Options
    Here's a few favourite SF/fantasy books you might try (call it sci-fi and you'll get pummelled by nerds)

Philip K. D i c k* 5 Great Novels
    Dan Simmons Hyperion
    Iain M. Banks Player of Games
    If you're feeling up to its 1100 pages Clive Barker - Imajica is a damn good read.

And as for books that make you cry - John Crowley's magical (in all senses of the word) Little Big

*This got censored can you fucking believe it!
  • taskey
    Options
    i love the censors on here, you cant say d 1 c k but you can say the f-word
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Also reading a very funny FB page
  • taskey
    Options
    Also reading a very funny FB page

is it the same one i am reading?? lol
  • A-Vic
    Options
    taskey wrote: Β»
    is it the same one i am reading?? lol

see am still being good man it sucks
  • JayneHogan
    JayneHogan Registered Posts: 697 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I am reading the book "The Naming Of The Dead" by Ian Rankin. Good so far but just started it on the bus home tonight.

I read "Where rainbows End" by Cecilia Ahern over Christmas and I found it a lighthearted antidote to the cold winter months.
  • CJC
    Options
    I've read a fair few Ian Rankin books and always enjoyed them. James Ellroy and David Peace are my favourite crime writers though.
  • steveJ
    steveJ Registered Posts: 694 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Last book I read was .... Lolita by Vladimir Nabakov.

Beautifully written, but what an insight into a sick mind. Highly recommended !
  • CJC
    Options
    steveJ wrote: Β»
    Last book I read was .... Lolita by Vladimir Nabakov.

Beautifully written, but what an insight into a sick mind. Highly recommended !

Agreed, I'm a big Nabokov fan. Along with Lolita, I'd go for Pale Fire as his best.
  • wolfe
    wolfe Registered Posts: 121 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    heyy everyone. im reading excession by ian banks! read player of games a couple of weeks back.
  • loralu
    loralu Registered Posts: 64 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options

i've read a child called it and it is upsetting but i found i couldn't put it down as i wanted to know what happened. really disturbed me when i was reading it though.

currently reading twilight. i read all four twilight books in january, then the third and fourth again and now i've started from the first again. i'm sad, i know!

also read a few pages of for richer, for poorer a book by a poker player which i'm struggling to get into!
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    loralu wrote: Β»
    i've read a child called it and it is upsetting but i found i couldn't put it down as i wanted to know what happened. really disturbed me when i was reading it though.

currently reading twilight. i read all four twilight books in january, then the third and fourth again and now i've started from the first again. i'm sad, i know!

also read a few pages of for richer, for poorer a book by a poker player which i'm struggling to get into!

I usually start a book and dont finish it but as you said I want to know what happens. It is a really disturbing book. I cant understand how people can treat any human being like that never mind their own son.
  • Sparkly
    Sparkly Registered Posts: 139 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    I agree with the comments on A Child Called It, those kind of books you just have to keep readng to see what happens. If you're into reading that kind of thing, try Blackbird by Jennifer Lauck, gripping reading.

On a completely different note, I'm taking time out from the real world and working through a serious of books borrowed from my neighbour's daugher! Amied at early teens, it's the Septimus Heap series, wizards etc, but not as intense as Harry Potter. I'm hooked and had to call my neighbour yeterday to hurry her up on book number 3 so I could get my hands on it!
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    i am reading this post ie what i write

book wise i am reading a spanish book which its title would translate in english as The widow's kiss" and it is about a woman who has murdered (apparently) 4 husbands to get their lands and money
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Implementing Audit Procedures...
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    BPP and Kaplin

I've always stuck to my rule of not bringing accountancy into the bedroom.

Currently reading The Road, good gripping read, if a bit dark.
Privacy Policy